Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: That feeling when

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymous View Post
    You may think of taking a dad/daughter trip to Blade Show. She’d find lots of the contestants from Forged In Fire showing their wares there and of course, plenty of vendors selling everything a girl could want to set up a home forge in dad’s garage
    If Audra Draper is still attending, she lives in Wyoming and was the first female ABS Master Smith. I haven't seen her in some years, but knew her pretty well back in the day. (And her husband, Mike.) Good folks.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

What every aspiring knifemaker needs in his boo-boo kit:

https://www.amazon.com/Celox-2GM-Pac...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    If anyone is curious, my daughter is dead set on a coal forge
    Why wait?

https://usaknifemaker.com/shop-categ...c-172-173.html

FWIW - a grinder is going to be necessary, regardless of how you make the blade (stock removal or forge). And a propane forge is probably the best way to start. IF you can't convince her to start with stock removal.

Ram Maramba taught me to make knives both forged and stock removal. The most important lesson I ever got was, you rough the shape out and then you have to do all the things to make the knife function like a knife. That's the part they always kind of cut on Forged in Fire, but it takes awhile.

The Karambit demanded a blood sacrifice. It is yours now.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

She’s dead set on becoming a bladesmith now
    Can't say I blame her - my wife and I did a really basic "try it" style blacksmithing class, and it was really satisfying to learn to move move metal with heat and a hammer. I'd very much like to learn more. When/if we have a bigger place where we'd have space for it, I'd love to set up a forge and try my hand at making knives. I'm sure the results would be awful at first, but any new skill takes time and effort to become proficient at, so that's fine.

Student
    My father collected knives, and did gift me and my brother our first (and my only) Wenger Swiss army knives, but other than retaining a folding knife for general utility (the QuietCarry Chase and sometimes the iQ), which was mostly reinforced by military service, I am not much of an enthusiast for edged tools or edged weapons. My brother does have very nice santokus and other kitchen knives, as he seems to have inherited most of my parents' enthusiasm for cooking. I do hope to maybe learn more things next month with Mr. Burch and Mr. Stilson in their Entangled Handgun next month, as I am open toward the idea of carrying a clinch pick but realize that for me it would a long road until I get to the point of being confident with actually doing so. I see that class as being a stumble towards the right direction.

The welding department at Mesa Community College shares its space with the school's basic blacksmithing class.

http://contacts.mesacc.edu/richard.rozinski
    http://azblacksmiths.org/
    Last edited by Yung; 10-06-2019 at 10:47 PM.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.

That feeling when

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    If Audra Draper is still attending, she lives in Wyoming and was the first female ABS Master Smith. I haven't seen her in some years, but knew her pretty well back in the day. (And her husband, Mike.) Good folks.
    Just saw an article on her in my hometown paper. You see I get my hometown paper in my news feed to make trick me into thinking I still live in Wyoming instead of this place.....

https://mycountry955.com/the-first-f...-from-wyoming/

As far as LL goes - the fact that your girl wants to be a bladesmith is beyond awesome!
    Last edited by Suvorov; 10-06-2019 at 10:56 PM.

This damn karambit makes me not want to touch it until I get trained. Totally different knife for me.
    Think of it as a very sharp claw with a handle, forget (at least for a while) about reverse grip and all the spinning stuff and it will start making sense to you.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    She will CUT. She will KEAL! No offense. My daughter carries a Spyderco.
    My whole family loves to quote "it will KEAL" Doug Marcaida sets a good example for the kids; he's always kind, polite, and positive, but dangerous. Works for me.
    #RESIST

If anyone is curious, my daughter is dead set on a coal forge
    You've done well.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List