Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Grip panels, to scoop or not to scoop?

1911 Grip panels, to scoop or not to scoop?

I’ve carried 1911 style pistols since @ 1978 most often with checkered wooden grips. I recently ( 2 years is “recent” to a guy my age) put G10 grips on my 10mm SR1911 and it was good. I then put a set of VZ “Frag” grips on a 9mm Kimber I shoot in IDPA matches and it was good.

Most recently I purchased a 9mm Commander size SR1911 and tried a set of Magpul’s grips with the rougher “TSP” texture and the big scoop removed to allow easier access to the magazine release.

I had really just purchased the Magpuls to have a spare set of grips until I decided what VZ type to buy next. But I’m digging the scoop and wonder what the gang here prefers. Plain, divot, or scoop?

My match single stacks have Pachmayr rubber wraparounds like I have been using since before G10 was kewl.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I am a scooper. If the grips I possess dont have them..... I will make my own.

Last edited by SW CQB 45; 10-06-2019 at 11:58 AM.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

No scoop for me.

I'd have to rotate the gun in my hand to hit the mag release with or without the scoop, so there is no advantage to me.

Site Supporter
    I like the scoop. It saves me from having to rotate the gun during reloads.

The first shot after “handling” such as reloads, draws etc is usually the most difficult. On a low capacity gun which may need to be reloaded more frequently it is a worthwhile advantage.
    Last edited by HCM; 10-06-2019 at 02:29 PM.

I find it doesn't matter to me from a functional standpoint and I really don't care for the looks of a scoop.

I have big mitts, so no scoops or extended mag releases. That and those scooped grips look bloody awful.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Drifting Fate View Post
    I find it doesn't matter to me from a functional standpoint and I really don't care for the looks of a scoop.
    I agree.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

I have big palms (XL) and relatively short (M) fingers. The scoop doesn’t help me, I still have to rotate the gun. But I my big support hand palm notices the scooped area missing.

No scoop for me.

If I had it my way, I’d put a blasphemous lever-style ambi mag release on my 1911s and use my index finger to drop the mag. I find levers way more positive than buttons. But there is, pretty much no way to make a lever release without doing a whole bunch of other things to the gun.

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    I inadvertently got a scooped set of VZ olive/black micarta grips and have found that the scoop does sort of "guide" my thumb when I'm a bit sloppy with the reload.

g n

User Tag List