Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Manurhin MR88's

I kinda think of these as a classic sort of SP101 on steroids. Eminently usable, very nicely executed. Personally, as you guys know, I'm a huge fan of the the OEM Trausch grips if the rubber is still in decent shape but that's just me; there are certainly other aesthetically and ergonomically excellent choices available (as well as some other classic, but not quite as ergonomic alternatives if desired).

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    Picked up another set of Thai hardwood stocks recently.

I really like these, but as @JonInWA pointed out, they are a little large for concealment purposes. Fortunately, that’s not too difficult to change.

A little tung oil later, things are looking good.

Nicely done!

Best, Jon

Site Supporter

Used 3in Manurhin MR88's at Centerfire Systems $449

For anyone who might be looking for a carry holster for your MR-88, I have some good news.

Up until now, I was using generic K/L-frame leather (a Bianchi #111)...it was OK as a range holster, but otherwise not great. My tightly fitted K-frame specific holsters were too small, but it seemed like a L-frame was pretty close. So, I got the calipers out, and found the MR-88 was slightly smaller than my L-frame 686-3 in every dimension except for the top strap, which was considerably wider on the MR-88. But it was close enough that I figured I could make some L-frame Kydex work.

With that in mind, I ordered a 3” L-frame “George” AIWB from @Tony Mayer, fully expecting that I’d have to apply some heat gun action to make the top strap fit.

I was pleasantly surprised to find the MR-88 works extremely well in the JMCK L-frame holster with no modification. The holster has a very generous sight channel, which allows the Kydex to flex out enough to accommodate the top strap on its own, so only a tension screw adjustment is needed to achieve an excellent fit.

Interestingly, I’d bought another K-frame “George” on the same order, with the intent of using if for a Smith model 12-2 that I recently rescued. It also incorporates a much larger sight channel compared to my “old” K-frame George that I bought couple years ago. Out of curiosity, I also tested the MR-88 in the new K-frame holster, and while it wasn’t nearly as good a fit as the L-frame model, it could be made to work acceptably in a pinch, especially with a little heat gun work — in comparison, my “old” K-frame George wouldn’t accept the MR-88 at all.

Black = “old” K-frame George
    Grey = “new” K-frame George, with MR-88
    Tan = L-frame George, with other MR-88

Since this worked out so well, I’ll likely be ordering an L-frame OWB from JMCK very soon, and hopefully have a chance to try the MR-88 in SSR whenever our local matches resume.

Very cool and good to know!

Thanks
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

MR88 at the range

Finally took my MR88 out to the range. Only 10 yards, but I'm happy:

Name:  IMG_3583.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  61.3 KB
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Has anyone tried a front sight swap on one of these yet?

Site Supporter

Used 3in Manurhin MR88's at Centerfire Systems $449

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Has anyone tried a front sight swap on one of these yet?
    I’ve looked, but haven’t found any direct swaps that would provide an acceptable POI...at least as far as current production sights.

Gemini Customs indicated they could send me a Ruger sight blank which I could file to fit, and then they could finish machine for a fiber optic rod. I may take them up on that at some point, but don’t really have time right now.
    Last edited by Dave J; 06-09-2020 at 01:43 PM.

Site Supporter
    Some photo trivia for anyone interested in MR-88 front sights. I pulled one awhile back for examination.

Site Supporter
    That looks pretty much the Ruger speed six, security six, and gp100 fixed sight model sight.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Very close but not exact.
    Last edited by Whirlwind06; 06-09-2020 at 06:30 PM.

User Tag List