Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Manurhin MR88's

Jon, No question that the Trausch grips work well. I use them on all my SP101s and they index perfectly so you don't even need the sights for close work. These Trausch grips point higher for me than the ones on the SPs by about a foot at 20 feet. I think it is because of the high beavertail which makes a greater downward angle of the trigger finger than on the SP101 Trausch.
    Also, the Trausch on the MR88 allow for a three finger grip (or maybe 2 1/2) while the wood grips are pinky finger underneath.

Jacques was a good guy to work with. I even ordered a set of ivory colored SP101 grips from him so I could have some plain white Trausch.

Here is a comparison picture of the MR88 in the center with GP100 on top, SP101 below, and MR73 to the side.

Name:  IMG_1548 ed med.jpg
Views: 2544
Size:  49.5 KB

Site Supporter
    Mt Olympus, Los Angeles, CA, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
    Solid revolvers, but not even in the same universe as the MR73. They are very Ruger-like.
    Barrels and cylinders make the difference.
    Michael@massmeans.com | Zeleny@post.harvard.edu | westcoastguns@gmail.com | larvatus prodeo @ livejournal | +1-323-363-1860 | “If at first you don’t succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.” — Curly Howard, 1936 | “All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” — Samuel Beckett, 1984

Quote Originally Posted by zeleny View Post
    Barrels and cylinders make the difference.
    Michael, from a analysis of absolute quality, I totally agree. From the aspect of most real-world users actual use, I'm not sure it it really makes a significant difference. The design changes Mahurin implemented to the license-built -Six revolvers seemed to meet the needs of GIGN's extremely heavy projected use and desired longevity; empirically, they clearly succeeded.

However, the amount of actual operator firing of the GIGN protocols is probably rivaled only by Tier-One units and USPSA Grandmasters-most of us simply aren't going to submit our firearms to that heavy and continuous use, both in terms of operational periods and weapon lifetime.

In that case, I prefer the Ruger removable trigger group fieldstripping, finding it a bit more practical for field field-stripping.

I'm quite satisfied with the accuracy of my Security Six as provided by Ruger (But the Manhurn/Chapuis-Manhurin improvements are certainly nice and well executed). And I totally agree that the MR73 is in a niche of its own.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 10-15-2019 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
    Solid revolvers, but not even in the same universe as the MR73. They are very Ruger-like.
    Totally agree. Essentially they're very Ruger-like because they're essentially derived from Manhurin's license-built Security/Service/Speed-Six.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    This showed up today. I won’t get a chance to shake it out until after Tom Givens’ Shotgun Course this weekend, but my initial impression is that it’s both very smooth and solid.

OK MR88 buyers.

There’s been more than ample time since this last bunch sold out for y’all to get to the range and evaluate your purchase.

So let’s see some reviews!

You all are like the canary in the mineshaft. We miners want to know if it’s safe to buy from the next batch that hits the market.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    OK MR88 buyers.

There’s been more than ample time since this last bunch sold out for y’all to get to the range and evaluate your purchase.

You all are like the canary in the mineshaft. We miners want to know if it’s safe to buy from the next batch that hits the market.
    Yes - This!

Instead of starting this thread, I should have just friggin' bought one. Live and learn.

I'm glad that at least one ended up in the PF collective!

Potential topic drift but too cool not to post. Anyone wanna learn about the GIGN's 8" sniper variant of the MR73?

https://youtu.be/P1zEUGck8NE
    Last edited by Hi-Point Aficionado; 12-16-2019 at 12:33 PM.

Site Supporter

Used 3in Manurhin MR88's at Centerfire Systems $449

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    OK MR88 buyers.

Actually, I had buyer’s regret for awhile.

I regretted not buying two of them.

I’ve had mine out a couple of times now, and am favorably impressed. The trigger isn’t quite as good as my classic smiths, but it’s pretty darn close. Popping the side plate off revealed that virtually everything inside was highly polished, and everything on my sample appears to be in great shape.

I didn’t care for the Trausch grips, but they’re probably a great choice for folks with smaller hands. Mine is currently wearing a set of Pachmayr Grippers, and I’ve got some eBay Thai hardwood on the way.

Sights on mine seem pretty close with the 158-grain Geco and Fiocchi loads I tried. Unfortunately, 135-gr Gold Dots printed way low, so I’ll have to check out a few other potential defensive loads, or change the front sight blade, if I decide to carry it.

K frame speedloaders fit perfectly. I assume the French specified S&W chamber spacing so as to use the same loaders as the MR-73.

I haven’t quite worked out the holster situation yet. It’s useable in an old Bianchi K/L frame thumb break for range use, but won’t quite work with my more precisely fitted Milt Sparks K-frame leather. Not sure if it would work in an L-frame or Ruger model.

Anyway, I think it’s a great gun, and I’m having fun tinkering with it.

Interior lock work, for anyone who is interested:
    Last edited by Dave J; 02-12-2020 at 12:41 PM.

Site Supporter

Used 3in Manurhin MR88's at Centerfire Systems $449

Oh, they’re back in stock at Centerfire Systems, and still $449.

https://www.centerfiresystems.com/p-...h-holster.aspx

I cured my buyer’s regret by ordering another one.
    @JRB

User Tag List