Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Manurhin MR88's

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    What's with the "(using wheels instead of just lubrication where metal rubs on metal)?" I don't see that in your pic.
    There is something resembling a roller bearing on the trigger, although I haven’t had that part out of the gun yet. Not sure if that’s common to Rugers as well, or if it really matches that ad copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    There is something resembling a roller bearing on the trigger, although I haven’t had that part out of the gun yet. Not sure if that’s common to Rugers as well, or if it really matches that ad copy.

That part is a torsion spring for the trigger. The wire it’s made out of is square, not the typical round wire stock that I would expect - seems like an odd choice to me, but I am not French. I just detail stripped my MR-88 on Friday.
    Last edited by Scal; 03-09-2020 at 12:35 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Scal View Post
    That part is a torsion spring for the trigger. The wire it’s made out of is square, not the typical round wire stock that I would expect - seems like an odd choice to me, but I am not French. I just detail stripped my MR-88 on Friday.
    Thanks. Any surprise challenges on the detail strip?

Thanks. Any surprise challenges on the detail strip?
    I would say that the only surprise is that there doesn’t appear to be an easy way to remove the firing pin. I drove out the roll pin that I assumed retained the FP, and it didn’t appear to want to leave. I think that it might require pressing out the breechface block with an arbor press or something like that, or it’s possible that I missed something. I just saw that the FP moved freely and it retracted when it was not under pressure, and I left it alone.

In other news, my Security Six hammer showed up. It’s not exactly identical, but it is interchangeable, and I’m happy to report that it dropped right in.

(MR hammer on the left, freshly bobbed Ruger hammer installed in my “new” MR-88, which hasn’t been cleaned yet.

Here’s the main difference between the two. I still have to do some polishing to the Ruger part to bring the finish up to snuff. (Hammer spur style was different as well, but that got chopped off before I got around to taking pictures)

Single action notch will be removed soon. I left it on temporarily, as I was curious to see how well it matched up. It fit just fine.

All buttoned up and ready for the range.
    Is it just me, or does that look more like a GP100 hammer to anyone else?

I ordered a spurless blue finish hammer from Numrich to try. I have one of these on a Service Six and it dropped right in and works well.

Dave J,
    Did you do any bevel/ polishing of the Ruger hammer other than cutting off the spur and finishing?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGP100 View Post
    I ordered a spurless blue finish hammer from Numrich to try. I have one of these on a Service Six and it dropped right in and works well.

Dave J,
    Did you do any bevel/ polishing of the Ruger hammer other than cutting off the spur and finishing?
    At this point, I’ve only removed the spur, and beveled the side edges where it used to be, just out of personal preference. Other than that, I haven’t done anything else yet, although I plan to polish it similar to the original part, and remove the SA cocking surface.

If Numrich had the factory spurless model available in stainless, I’d probably have ordered that instead.

At this point, I’ve only removed the spur, and beveled the side edges where it used to be, just out of personal preference. Other than that, I haven’t done anything else yet, although I plan to polish it similar to the original part, and remove the SA cocking surface.

If Numrich had the factory spurless model available in stainless, I’d probably have ordered that instead.
    I don't mind the blued model. I could polish off that part if needed. It is only blued on the backside of the hammer. The sides are in the white. I put one on a service six and removed the single action notch.

Got my Spurless hammer in from Numrich. Cleaned up the sides a little. Dropped right in and seems to function as smoothly as the hammer that came with the gun.
    Name:  Manurhin spurless side.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  69.6 KBName:  Manurhin spurless.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  37.3 KB

Ordered one for my birthday. Can’t wait to get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List