Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are ACT-Mag M&P mags any good?

Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post
    Wow that’s an ugly cartridge stack.
    Maybe we are just blissfully ignorant with the steel magazines...

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Maybe we are just blissfully ignorant with the steel magazines...
    Maybe your right, I dunno. I’ll pick up at least 2 of 21rd capacity ones to fiddle with at the range. At the very least it might help with stoppage drills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post
    Wow that’s an ugly cartridge stack.
    No kidding!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I'm going to pick up a 40-9 conversion barrel for my M&P40 in the near future so I need some full size 9mm mags. Before I drop $28+ on factory mags for basically a fun gun, is there any reason to avoid the ACT-Mag version for ~$10 less per mag?

Thanks!
    Check Aim Surplus and CDNN before buying aftermarket. Both places sometimes have LE trade in mags. Usually in 40 but occasionally 9mm too.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Update to this, I bought one of the 21 rounders just out of curiosity. Only used it once and it worked. I am actually reluctant to render an opinion on it, but it doesn't really seem "robust". But I wonder about if that is just decades of experience being used to something else. I watched one of the YouTube interviews from SHOT where the guy explained some of the drop testing they have done, and that they are molded from a specific polymer they specified. It could be the next big thing, but by it sure is different.

I am contemplating getting a couple of 17 round versions, and using them every week along side the factory mags and see how they hold up.

Vending Machine Operator
    Update to this, I bought one of the 21 rounders just out of curiosity. Only used it once and it worked. I am actually reluctant to render an opinion on it, but it doesn't really seem "robust". But I wonder about if that is just decades of experience being used to something else. I watched one of the YouTube interviews from SHOT where the guy explained some of the drop testing they have done, and that they are molded from a specific polymer they specified. It could be the next big thing, but by it sure is different.

I am contemplating getting a couple of 17 round versions, and using them every week along side the factory mags and see how they hold up.
    Thanks for being willing to do a test run and report. I admit to being a bit of a luddite with magazines. I only use factory mags outside of 1911s, and only Wilson mags in 1911s.

To be clear, did you get the Act-Mags or the ETS, since both were discussed?
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    To be clear, did you get the Act-Mags or the ETS, since both were discussed?
    I have three ACT magazines, but I seldom use them.
    I bought one of the 21 round ETS, just out of curiosity.
    I really do not have any "need" for any more 17 round magazines, for a long while Botach would sell factory S&W (and Glock, at the time) for $20 if you bought at least Qty6. At that time the ACT magazines were not enough less (hard to beat $20...) to make it worth the deviation, though the three I have seem great.

And now the going rate for the S&W mags seems to be $29 at the lowest, and Botach offers the ETS M&P magazines for $14 (the Glock ETS mags are only $12).

And I am cousins with Curious George, and if now Pmags are the damn standard for the AR, why shouldn't a magazine be able to be plastic? And if it is plastic, why couldn't it be transparent, might the tinting even make it a little less strong? So I bought a couple of them, though I did order from Brownells for $18, because I get the free shipping through the Edge membership so it was net same as Botach (who were charging a reasonable amount for shipping, but it netted out the same).

I have a batch of six magazines I use each Sunday and I will start using these in place of a couple of those. Shooting nothing but ball practice ammo I am sure neither one of them will ever fail, but experimenting is part of the fun for me.

Vending Machine Operator
    I have three ACT magazines, but I seldom use them.
    I bought one of the 21 round ETS, just out of curiosity.
    I really do not have any "need" for any more 17 round magazines, for a long while Botach would sell factory S&W (and Glock, at the time) for $20 if you bought at least Qty6. At that time the ACT magazines were not enough less (hard to beat $20...) to make it worth the deviation, though the three I have seem great.

And now the going rate for the S&W mags seems to be $29 at the lowest, and Botach offers the ETS M&P magazines for $14 (the Glock ETS mags are only $12).

And I am cousins with Curious George, and if now Pmags are the damn standard for the AR, why shouldn't a magazine be able to be plastic? And if it is plastic, why couldn't it be transparent, might the tinting even make it a little less strong? So I bought a couple of them, though I did order from Brownells for $18, because I get the free shipping through the Edge membership so it was net same as Botach (who were charging a reasonable amount for shipping, but it netted out the same).

I have a batch of six magazines I use each Sunday and I will start using these in place of a couple of those. Shooting nothing but ball practice ammo I am sure neither one of them will ever fail, but experimenting is part of the fun for me.
    I look forward to reports! Thanks for answering.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I look forward to reports! Thanks for answering.
    Well they shipped already and I did the two day shipping so the initial testing should commence this coming Sunday

Well they shipped already and I did the two day shipping so the initial testing should commence this coming Sunday
    Update:
    Well, not sure these are "bad" but I am probably not going to keep them and use them. The way the follower fits it is trying to get out in front of the feed lips and makes inserting an empty magazine funky. They also slide right into my 2.0 gun but seem tight in my 1.0 gun. I am really torn on these, because I am generally supportive of companies that develop stuff for smaller markets like M&Ps, but when I take a realistic step back if I take these out and use them then I will probably never send them back, and I am getting to the point where I need to start being more careful keeping stuff around that I spent $35 on that I know will end up in a drawer.

I want to be clear that nothing about these would not work, and they are probably a workable option for $14. If I didn't have a significant number of M&P-9 magazines I would keep them and use them.

At this point I plan to utilize Brownell's satisfaction guaranteed option and send them back. If somebody else wants to take one for the team and work them out I will send them along for $30. Lemme know, I will probably pack them up on Saturday.

User Tag List