Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Broke TRS in HK P2000

Broke TRS in HK P2000

Yesterday I broke the TRS in my P2000 LEM. The spring is the standard strength variant, installed by the HK factory in June, 2018. The round count since installation is 4050. I'm familiar with Todd's P30 test, and I know the spring should be replaced at 12500 - 15000 rounds. Therefore, I was surprised my spring barely lasted 4000 rounds.

But I checked my training log for that same time frame, and the gun has accumulated 12.5 hours of dryfire. Some takeaways for me:

1) Dryfire will put wear on a pistol. Hardly surprising in hindsight, but I never though about it until now. For scheduled maintenance, dryfire should be taken into consideration.

2) It's good to have parts and tools on hand. For my HK's, I don't have parts because I assumed they were virtually unbreakable. In hindsight. it was a silly assumption. After all, anything mechanical will break, and the TRS is a known weak point.

3) There's truth to the P-F advice to have 2 (or 3) copies of the same gun. Fortunately, my broken P2000 is my training gun, while my carry gun is a low round count P2000sk. I'm now considering buying another P2000, as a spare to the spare.

I'm also considering switching to Glocks, just for ease of maintenance. But that's another kettle of fish.

I can’t speak for others, but when I was still working for CBP, a broken TRS was the most common issue that I saw in the field. My issued P2000 experienced the TRS issue after about three years of heavy use. An easy fix, but Harpers Ferry had so many extra pistols in stock that they would just mail out a new pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Yesterday I broke the TRS in my P2000 LEM. The spring is the standard strength variant, installed by the HK factory in June, 2018. The round count since installation is 4050. I'm familiar with Todd's P30 test, and I know the spring should be replaced at 12500 - 15000 rounds. Therefore, I was surprised my spring barely lasted 4000 rounds.

But I checked my training log for that same time frame, and the gun has accumulated 12.5 hours of dryfire. Some takeaways for me:

1) Dryfire will put wear on a pistol. Hardly surprising in hindsight, but I never though about it until now. For scheduled maintenance, dryfire should be taken into consideration.

2) It's good to have parts and tools on hand. For my HK's, I don't have parts because I assumed they were virtually unbreakable. In hindsight. it was a silly assumption. After all, anything mechanical will break, and the TRS is a known weak point.

3) There's truth to the P-F advice to have 2 (or 3) copies of the same gun. Fortunately, my broken P2000 is my training gun, while my carry gun is a low round count P2000sk. I'm now considering buying another P2000, as a spare to the spare.

I'm also considering switching to Glocks, just for ease of maintenance. But that's another kettle of fish.
    That is still a really short TRS life. I suspect you had a bad spring. I was probably getting 50 hours dryfire and 10,000 rounds on my Tanfo and CZ TRS and those are known to break fairly regularly. My dryfire was uspsa based so it wasn't all trigger pulling but I dry fired 30 to 45 minutes a day and they would usually go roughly 3 months with live fire as well.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    As of a couple weeks ago, the TRS pliers were $15 at HKParts.net. They're made from the absolute cheeepest pliers I've ever seen, but it only took a few minutes with files to clean up the grinding burrs.

Parts are way cheaper from the web store than any other source. Waaay cheaper.

But yeah, that's still short life from that spring. I'd be surprised if HK doesn't take care of it for you. Worth a phone call.

I'm not really comfortable running a pistol that I haven't detail stripped. I just feel better/more confident knowing every detail of the mechanism, and knowing there isn't some big schnarly burr tearing it up, etc. Now that I took the plunge and figured out USPs, I wonder why I let all the chatter on the internet (it must be true...) about how difficult they are hold me back for so long. Also, even on USPs, it turns out there are things (burrs and MIM mold parting lines) I want corrected before they go into service. I'm the kind of guy who changes his own engine in a car or motorcycle, but the USPs seriously aren't a big deal.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    That is still a really short TRS life. I suspect you had a bad spring. I was probably getting 50 hours dryfire and 10,000 rounds on my Tanfo and CZ TRS and those are known to break fairly regularly. My dryfire was uspsa based so it wasn't all trigger pulling but I dry fired 30 to 45 minutes a day and they would usually go roughly 3 months with live fire as well.
    You're certainly getting good life out of your Tanfo and CZ springs. My dryfire was spread over 70 sessions, with at least 100 trigger presses per session. Combined with live fire, my TRS saw a minimum of 11000 cycles. That's lower than the 15000 round scheduled maintenance interval, but in the same ball park.

I'll call HK USA and see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I posted about it when I was on my P30 run, so, 8 years ago? I broke two TRS consecutively by 8000 rounds, at about equal intervals. That was my only P30 then, so carry, practice, dry fire... The experience has led to one more P30, another P30L, and P2000sk. Interestingly, I didnt break a single TRS on a practice gun after, it went for 14000 rounds before I changed springs. I think going from.heavy trs to light had something to do with it.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Can anyone point me to a suggested list of P2000 spare parts to have on hand? I have a P2000sk LEM with the TG spring setup, and I don’t know enough about the platform to determine what I should keep around for the probably inevitable part failures.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Ken, the TRS was the only part that I ever broke through tens of thousands of rounds. I wore out a recoil spring at 20000.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Can anyone point me to a suggested list of P2000 spare parts to have on hand? I have a P2000sk LEM with the TG spring setup, and I don’t know enough about the platform to determine what I should keep around for the probably inevitable part failures.
    This is what I'm using as a general guideline. It's not specific to the P2000, but I think there's enough commonality between the P30 and the P2000 for it to be useful.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/1842
    Last edited by Mark D; 10-06-2019 at 10:25 AM.

I wonder if the P2000 mechanics are slightly different from the P30? Possibly resulting in slightly less life on the TRS?

I don't know if you need to swap away from the HK. You clearly did everything right (used a training gun, have a separate carry gun), a back-up-back-up P2000 wouldn't be a bad idea. I'd also get the HK-specific tools, like the TRS pliers, etc. It just makes maintenance easier with them.

As a general rule, for me, when I buy a new platform I budget and then purchase spare parts. I always get extras of every spring in the gun. Not just due to breakage or wear, but because I've lost a lot of little springs cleaning guns over the years.

I assume you'll adapt your inspection cycle on springs now, any idea what you'll do? If it were me, I'd probably just swap the TRS everytime I did the recoil spring. I have no idea how long it takes to wear out a flat wire HK recoil spring, I've never accomplished it myself, but I usually changed them at 5000 cycles. You had 4050 rounds through the gun, plus 12.5 hours of dryfire, assuming 100-cycles of the action per dryfire session, that's 5250. So right around the time I'd expect to replace springs. I'd want to inspect them at half that, I guess.

User Tag List