Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The WA state background checks are starting to bog down

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Aaaaaand... I got a call this morning, 10/19. Looks like I’m finally GTG. The range guy was quick to point out that "these background checks expire quickly, so picking it up soon would be good..."

Yeah, fortunately after waiting this long, I’m not in any mood for further dawdling. I can’t imagine the fun to be had if I was on the road in the summer, or some such, and couldn’t get down in time and had to go through the wait all over again.
    I finally have a G36. I also found out part of what took so long: if the background check takes longer than 30 days, they have to start over. Fortunately, the local chief is A: reasonably pro-citizen, and B: friends with the range owner. He fast tracked it when she called the request in the second time.

I guess that’s good for me. Good luck to all Seattle residents.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    For any policy wonks out there, the Washington State Office of Financial Management has released a report discussing a possible single point of contact system. They were required to do this under the statute I cited earlier in this thread.

I've skimmed through it.

Here are some highlights:

After consulting with agencies and businesses involved in the firearm background check process, OFM concludes that creating a single point-of contact system is both feasible and an advisable course of action to pursue.
    (page 1).

Estimated cost to set up: $3.4 mill. Annual cost: $10.2 mill. The report suggests an $18.63 per transfer fee to offset annual costs.

This portion on the Health Care Authority's involvement was interesting:

HCA performs a name-based check for records of involuntary holds or commitments to mental health services that would be prohibitors in a firearm background check. These same involuntary holds and commitments are required submissions to the NICS Indices by staff at AOC. (the Court system).

During the course of the Feasibility Study, OFM attempted to determine areas of redundancy where the firearm background check process could be reduced or simplified. One such area concerns HCA, which is mandatory to reference during state-level background checks for pistols and SARs. HCA performs a name-based check for records of involuntary holds or commitments to mental health services that would be prohibitors in a firearm background check. These same involuntary holds and commitments are required submissions to the NICS Indices by staff at AOC. The NICS itself is also mandatory to reference in the course of a firearm background check. In this sense, checking both HCA and the NICS provides redundant information on mental health prohibitors and adds unnecessary steps to the firearm background check.
    . . .
    The information provided by HCA suggests that a notable percentage of mental health records are not reaching the NICS Indices and therefore are unavailable to the FBI during these checks. Additionally, this discrepancy necessitates including HCA in the state-level check where it might otherwise be redundant.

(page 21).

The question I have is why isn't NICS getting those records? Getting that corrected seems like the solution, rather than have the HCA do redundant work and have to stay in the loop (and suck up more tax dollars in the process). If someone has been involuntarily committed, that should be in NICS, so that person doesn't go to some other state and cause a problem.

The report is available for download here:

https://ofm.wa.gov/about/publications-and-reports

I think a single point of contact system is okay, but the cynic/realistic in me sees that this will eventually result not in an effort to streamline the process, but to add additional requirements and steps. "Let's apply this to long guns, too, and maybe we should have a firearms endorsement card." Wait, like my CPL isn't good enough? It sure used to be....
    Last edited by idahojess; 11-24-2019 at 02:54 AM.

You and I both know that just 3 families (plus Michael B) bought those slim margins.

https://bulletin.represent.us/americ...snt-democracy/
    So those three families definitely need to be hounded by every 2A org out there. Time to play by Thier playbook!!!!!!! Target the FUCKERS with 2A silent majority mail, throw a few activists in the drive way drenched in blood. How long till the hypocrites hire armed GOONS, then target the agency they hired. Fight them the way they do us. SICK EM

This is easier said than done. It is against our thinking. It is not OUR behavior to go protest. But NOW IS THE TIME. If we do not make OUR VOICES HEARD TOGETHER..... WE WILL BE TRAMPLED ON FOREVER!!!!!

The NRA FORGOT US.... the POLITICIANS ONLY CARE about themselves
    I only can hope my son can keep the RIGHTS GIVEN TO HIM BY HIS FOREFATHERS
    Last edited by Arbninftry; 11-24-2019 at 03:24 AM.

Paperwork on the new Langdon was filled out late last Friday and I got the call midday Thursday, less than 4 business days. I was expecting a lot longer. I used to always get the full 10 day NICS wait.

I was about 2 weeks on a pistol I just purchased. I usually ran the full 3 days for a proceed before 1639.

I guess it depends on which county here in WA you happen to live in. Or maybe it's the new may issue for purchases.

Anyway, it isn't worth a move out of state to another state that could end up with the same restrictions. Firearm restrictions isn't the only issue for me. Taxes would be ahead of firearm restrictions. We don't have an income tax in this state and we're in the top half of favorable tax burdens in the US. There's a reason so many billionaires live here and why Trump moved to FL. It wasn't because the swamps are easier to drain there.
    Last edited by Borderland; 11-24-2019 at 10:38 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by STI View Post
    Paperwork on the new Langdon was filled out late last Friday and I got the call midday Thursday, less than 4 business days. I was expecting a lot longer. I used to always get the full 10 day NICS wait.
    You don’t live in WA state, Coorect?
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

You don’t live in WA state, Coorect?
    Kent.

Kent.
    I know it well.

And I stand both corrected, and surprised. Both local places that I frequent here are quoting 3 weeks *minimum* with stories of having to resubmit.

Could be a volume thing; the largest place here probably sells more guns in a week or month than all of King county.

I thought the 10 day wait was a WA law and NICS was 3 days. Now it seems like 1639 made the wait indefinite depending on where you live.

I purchased a SAR last year in Nov. and the wait was 3 days IIRC. That was before 1639 kicked in.

Do you have a CPL? Maybe that was the hang up, don't know.
    Last edited by Borderland; 11-24-2019 at 01:46 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List