Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The WA state background checks are starting to bog down

Site Supporter
    It actually wasn't enacted by initiative 1639. It was enacted by the legislature because Washington's two-track pistol purchasing system was not compliant with the Brady background check requirements. You can find the implementing law here, along with bill reports, which go into the discussion of the FBI background check issue.

https://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?B...itiative=false

From the final bill report:

The FBI recently conducted a review of full POC and partial POC background check processing to determine whether states are processing background checks appropriately. In 2018 the FBI notified Washington that it is not serving as a partial POC on all required firearms transfers, including pistol transfers where the purchaser possess a CPL. The FBI indicated that the NICS Section will stop processing NICS background checks for these transfers, but has delayed this change until the state revises its laws governing these transfers, or June 30, 2019, whichever occurs first.

The legislature basically came up with a draconian solution to a problem that doesn't exist in other states, by requiring local L.E. to conduct background checks. The session law does require the state to come up with a single source point of contact system by 2022, or else the new law sunsets. I'm sure that won't happen.
    Last edited by idahojess; 10-04-2019 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    It actually wasn't enacted by initiative 1639. It was enacted by the legislature because Washington's two-track pistol purchasing system was not compliant with the Brady background check requirements. You can find the implementing law here, along with bill reports, which go into the discussion of the FBI background check issue.

From the final bill report:

The FBI recently conducted a review of full POC and partial POC background check processing to determine whether states are processing background checks appropriately. In 2018 the FBI notified Washington that it is not serving as a partial POC on all required firearms transfers, including pistol transfers where the purchaser possess a CPL. The FBI indicated that the NICS Section will stop processing NICS background checks for these transfers, but has delayed this change until the state revises its laws governing these transfers, or June 30, 2019, whichever occurs first.

The legislature basically came up with a draconian solution to a problem that doesn't exist in other states, by requiring local L.E. to conduct background checks. The session law does require the state to come up with a single source point of contact system by 2022, or else the new law sunsets. I'm sure that won't happen.
    Correct. FBI would gladly let WA run their own checks for everything and WA would gladly do it. Eventually that's what will happen.

I haven't made a purchase since June. Things are going to tighten up here in WA regarding wait times. Local LE only has so many people they can spare to run the checks. Where I live they don't even have the staff to do carry permits. All of that is done by volunteers for 4 hours one day a month.

It seems ironic to me that I can walk into a gun store legally carrying a concealed pistol and have to wait 2 weeks for a proceed from the state. The f'ing state issued me the concealed carry permit. If they would look in their records they would see that I already own multiple handguns and can carry concealed legally.

But it still isn't bad enough to leave. I can still jump thru the hoops and buy what I want.......for now.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

As an aside, a buddy of mine on the SPD told me that there are only two people doing all this checking, and they aren't hiring any more. His prediction of how long it would take to log jam was pretty much spot on.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    As an aside, a buddy of mine on the SPD told me that there are only two people doing all this checking, and they aren't hiring any more. His prediction of how long it would take to log jam was pretty much spot on.
    That's a feature, not a bug.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Wow.

I think I had to wait maybe 20 minutes at my LGS here in Tampa last month on my G43X. I think FL uses, what is it, NICS?

What is the reason WA uses Local LE?
    Florida uses FDLE for gun purchase checks.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Wow.

I think I had to wait maybe 20 minutes at my LGS here in Tampa last month on my G43X. I think FL uses, what is it, NICS?
    That's because you have a CWP. There is a five day wait for the state, and up to five days in certain counties.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I still do not understand why the federal background check for gun purchases would not be more comprehensive than a state check. Why tie up state resources?
    Not everything is reported and not everyone reports to the feds.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

In WA one now has to waive their HIPAA rights to purchase. Something like that wouldn't get thru congress or most state legislatures. I think that will eventually be found to be unlawful.

The feds don't have your medical records unless they're in a court document or maybe from the military.
    Last edited by Borderland; 10-05-2019 at 09:02 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Here is the bill that created the feasibility study for a single point of contact system. It passed unanimously, and requires a study to be completed by the office of financial management in December this year (subject to funding).

Also, I thought this resource on the voting record and legislative history of the bill that defaulted all pistol background checks to local law enforcement was interesting. Remember how nice it was when at least there was split party control in the Washington state legislature?

https://www.washingtonvotes.org/2019-HB-1465

Quote Originally Posted by jack malone View Post
    Florida uses FDLE for gun purchase checks.
    Having held an FFL in Florida, I would have killed to use NICS instead of the mess that is FDLE. Florida's gun laws are what happen when you take a state full of rednecks and gun loving immigrants and then let a bunch of ancient Yankees move down and vote.

User Tag List