Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The WA state background checks are starting to bog down

The WA state background checks are starting to bog down

I’ve bought, er, more than one handgun since WA state put the background check onto local LE, and did away with the cash n carry on a CCW permit. The first check took maybe 3 days. The next was back the following week. I’m closer to week 3 at this point on my G36.

That is all.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Wow.

I think I had to wait maybe 20 minutes at my LGS here in Tampa last month on my G43X. I think FL uses, what is it, NICS?

What is the reason WA uses Local LE?

Wow, When I lived in Spokane it was walk out with a permit or 5 days without. I use to miss Washington but not so much anymore.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Wow.

I think I had to wait maybe 20 minutes at my LGS here in Tampa last month on my G43X. I think FL uses, what is it, NICS?

What is the reason WA uses Local LE?
    I have to confess, I didn’t really get it when various LGS peeps tried to explain it to me. I guess they can’t use NICS anymore. I haven’t had time to dig into it any deeper, myself.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Wow, When I lived in Spokane it was walk out with a permit or 5 days without. I use to miss Washington but not so much anymore.
    You’re telling me. I have almost exactly 30 years of being able to buy and leave the same day on my WA permit, and now nobody can tell me when I can get my latest new gat.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

NICS is a federal background check. Washington has always had a state background. There was a time when if you had a Washington CPL you could leave with your gun without waiting for the check to be completed. If you didn't have a CPL then you had to wait the five business days. Under the law, it had to be done in 5 days. I guess that's not the case now.

Now that I live in WV it's pay and walk.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Full disclosure: my LGS is 2.5 miles from my house. I left the house at 1810, walked back in at 1900 with an AR. I highly recommend the Great State of Indiana.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I’ve bought, er, more than one handgun since WA state put the background check onto local LE, and did away with the cash n carry on a CCW permit. The first check took maybe 3 days. The next was back the following week. I’m closer to week 3 at this point on my G36.

That is all.
    The new law seems to be working EXACTLY as intended.

This was a result of I-1639 passing and why I have begun our plans to move out of this God forsaken liberal shit hole hopefully in 2020. The background check, the no more leaving same day with the gun if you have your CPL, the waiver of privacy to your medical records. All of it. I went and bought 2 new Glock 17's on June 30th, the day before it took effect.

We have until next July to be able to buy stripped receivers without having to go through the same shit show that is required to buy a semi auto rifle now.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The new law seems to be working EXACTLY as intended.
    Yup. Until/when/if some lawsuits pull the dog back into the doghouse a bit.

Site Supporter
    When I worked corrections, military recruiters would show up and ask to check local records for minor misdemeanor offenses that would not have been sent to Austin's database. It's my understanding that the state database supplies the FBI database. I still do not understand why the federal background check for gun purchases would not be more comprehensive than a state check. Why tie up state resources?

Oddly, in Texas a license to carry holder can skip the federal background check and pay and walk with the firearm, but police officers must undergo the background check unless they have not elected to get the carry license. Some do to circumvent the background check hassle.

User Tag List