Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SD 10/22s

Site Supporter

SD 10/22s

https://www.growingupguns.com/2014/0...ke-a-decision/

Interesting article as I have one that I set up the same way. I shot it at matches. My downside is that the reload is one of those wiggles you have to practice. It is a fun gun and I can see it for less sturdy folks.

Last edited by David S.; 10-04-2019 at 04:27 PM.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    https://www.growingupguns.com/2014/0...ke-a-decision/

Interesting article as I have one that I set up the same way. I shot it at matches. My downside is that the reload is one of those wiggles you have to practice. It is a fun gun and I can see it for less sturdy folks.
    I have one setup as a house gat/road trip gun. I used one of the take downs, stuck a Venom on top and have it in a Magpul Backpacker stock. I can do good work with a 10/22, especially that one.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

I saw SD in the title and thought "integrally suppressed 10/22 talk, cool".

As for the defensive use of a 10/22, hey, rule 1 is have a gun so if that's what works for you, go for it. Plenty dead graves filled with people to attest to the fact that it can kill. I'd suggest some quality ammunition from CCI, like MiniMag, Velocitor, or Stingers.***

***I have not had time to read the article, just sharing my thoughts at a quick glance.

Site Supporter
    The coolest I saw was a fully auto, integrally suppressed 10/22. Guy near Bastrop, TX made it. It was legal and so neat. The described gun isn't my go to but I could see it. I did take it on road trip through ban land a few years ago.

My wife's go-to is a 16" 10/22 with a 25 round magazine full of CCI Mini-Mags. The tactical cognoscenti may sneer at it, but I dare them to came down a hallway where's she and the five year old are cornered at the other end.

I've got a Williams peep sight on it right now, but might put a red dot on it for her.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    What's the advantage, other than cost, over any of a number of 9mm carbines?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I love me some 10/22, and I have more than a few, including three Volquartsen and two Tactical Solutions as well as some stock VLEH models. I have one of the Tactical Solutions topped with a Leupold M8-8X that I use for pest control and fun in the backyard. The rifle with the scope weighs right around five pounds. It is easy to maneuver and easy to shoot. It may not be my first (or second) choice, but it is better than nothing. The combination of no recoil with light weight makes it easy to shoot well. Is is better than something else? Perhaps for a person who cannot handle the weight and/or recoil of a firearm chambered for a service cartridge.
    Last edited by farscott; 10-04-2019 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    What's the advantage, other than cost, over any of a number of 9mm carbines?
    Lighter weight, next to no recoil, ammo so cheap you could practice with one all day for $20 are my thoughts. It’s definitely not as good as a 9mm PCC when talking about terminal ballistics but it might be the only thing a very frail and physically weak person could operate properly. I remember you posting about shootings you investigated, saying that every .22 rifle shooting you responded to ended up being a homicide. I know that doesn’t mean that .22 LR is the world’s best fight stopper but it’s better than a larger gun that the person can’t operate.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I remember you posting about shootings you investigated, saying that every .22 rifle shooting you responded to ended up being a homicide.
    There must be some miscommunication or confusion somewhere because that's certainly not the case. I've had plenty of folks not even be real bothered by a .22 from a long gun. I think I've told the story of the guy who kept messing with a lesbian about her daughter and the lesbian pulled a rifle out of her pants leg and shot him in the thigh. He was walking around smoking and joking. My thought is she was going for his genitals and jerked the trigger, as he was making sexually aggressive remarks prior to the shooting. It was close enough there were powder marks. Didn't get to the femur or break it. A 9mm almost certainly would have.

I get the 'better than nothing' argument.

I don't buy the cheap training argument, especially in conjunction with the 'frail' argument. Someone so impaired is unlikely to be shooting a brick at range day. I also suspect the number of people so frail they can't handle a 9mm carbine but can handle a 10-22 is likely very very small. I had a Hi-point carbine as a feed house gun "back in the day" and honestly I'd equip someone with that before a .22 carbine. Even hits in the heart aren't always a fast stop and aren't always fatal. Add in the inability to break major bones, ease of deflection, and *I suspect but can't prove* reduced liklihood of psychological stops due to decreased noise and muzzle blast, I just don't think the trade offs are worth it. Can it work? Sure. I'd even say it will most likely work for home defense. But a pistol caliber carbine will cover a few more bases and at not much cost in recoil, etc.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List