Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Morale destroying phrases

"We don't need that here" was pretty common.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

#4? Heard that a bunch when I worked with the feds. They had a lousy ASAC at the time. The guy it was said the most about is still tearing it up as an agent years later. Recently had another case of his end up in an OIS during the entry.

#6 is factual, I said it a time or two.

Site Supporter
    2. “We’ve always done it this way.” - I always hated this one; all too often they didn’t know why and they had no desire to seek a better way. As a new officer I didn’t understand. After 15 years I understood how frustrating it was that things change. But that is life and law enforcement. Laws and court ruling change. You have to stay on top of the changes and seek best practices. That does not always mean “this way only” but “a way”. My Dept thought they were too busy To conduct AARs so I only saw it once in 20 years. We weren’t too busy; just no desire to get better.

3. “Slow down. There is no extra pay for making the most arrests.” I would answer- but there is more money for more arrests. More arrests means more court which means more overtime. I’m not talking about bullshit traffic pinches either. I worked with traffic nazis. They thought they were doing a good job and were hard working. I thought they were lazy or cowards and wrote too many bad tickets. Ok, maybe not bad tickets but their threshold was lower than mine. 6 miles over? Yellow lights ? There was always better pinches out there. I noticed that if they wrote 500 tickets a year and did not have a corresponding rise in misdemeanor or felony arrests they were cherry picking or just not seeing or looking for other crimes beyond traffic or DUI. While these guys were writing tickets I had to cover their districts. Now my Dept has a traffic platoon so everybody is happy.

4. “Big arrests, big problems, little arrests, little problems, no arrest, no problem.” I would say “No” arrests is a problem. If you never see any criminal behavior on patrol or on calls- you are the problem
    Last edited by Poconnor; 10-07-2019 at 06:17 AM.

User Tag List