Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Week 341: Sweet Sixteen

Week 341: Sweet Sixteen

Week 341: Sweet Sixteen

Results may be posted until November 4th, 2019.

Designed by: Todd Louis Green
    Range: varies
    Target: 3x5 card
    Start position: ready; standing unsupported
    Rounds fired: 16

This is a variation of a classic walkback drill.

You get exactly sixteen rounds. You can begin with the target at any distance you choose.

Fire one round at the target. If you hit, add one yard and repeat. If you miss, stay at the same distance and repeat.

Your score is the farthest target that you successfully hit.

If you miss three times at the same distance, the drill ends even if you still have ammunition remaining. E.g., if you miss your first shot at the 7yd line, then miss your second attempt at the 7yd line, and miss your third attempt at the 7yd line the drill is over even if you have only fired three rounds and scored no hits. This prevents someone from beginning at the 50yd line and hoping for one hit out of 16 shots.

If you don't miss, you'll end up 15yd farther than your first shot. E.g., if you start at the 5yd line and get all your hits, your last shot will be at the 20yd line.

For added adventure, you can repeat the drill SHO and WHO.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Gun used
    Starting distance
    Distance of farthest successful hit

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Wilson CQB
    Started at 10 yards.
    Went 10/20/30/35(incl 1st miss)/40
    Failed out at 45 with 2 more misses.

Name:  D9EB207C-B41B-4B7F-BB8C-D6E653E44495.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  69.1 KB
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Cz P09, dawsons, cgw firing pin and hammer springs

Starting distance - 10 yards, using 1 yard increments

Final hit - 15 yards

Name:  20191010_132125.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  17.1 KB

Name:  20191010_132128.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  16.7 KB

Name:  20191010_132307.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  15.3 KB

I crapped out with 3 misses at 16 yards before I shot all 16 rounds. So I shot the remaining 6 rounds after recording the score, from the 16 yard line and went 5/6. This is on the low end of what i can do with this drill(not a large envelope though as my range log shows 14 as a low and 19 as a high), in fact I made it to 16 shooting a doubles version the last time I had the p09 out. While the trigger on this gun has a nasty hitch in the DA and the dawsons shoot behind the dot vs top edge, both of those things are easily overcome and it was simply me pulling shots. Everything was shot DA. I like to shoot these on two cards, 8 shots each to better track hits etc...
    Last edited by backtrail540; 10-10-2019 at 06:31 PM.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Starting yard line - 7 yards

Final hit - 18 yards

Name:  20191010_135603.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  24.8 KB

The trigger on my 442 is smooth and it hits the "power crease" perfectly. That combined with the tight sight picture makes this gun shoot pretty well for me during slow fire precision. I wish I would have shot this well with it during the iwr postal match! Still dig this thing and it is my constant companion around the house or when I don't/won't wear a bigger gun. Also ran this on two cards, first half on the left and final on the right.
    Last edited by backtrail540; 10-10-2019 at 06:38 PM.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Shot this again today in Pinehurst with my son.
    I shot my RTF2 G19 and made it to 25 yards. He used his black 43X and hit til 40 yards where we ran out of space.
    Name:  089B6535-7DB0-4110-AFC4-CDDCBF725DCA.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  98.2 KB
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

This was a fun one. Grabbed photos (or so I thought), but it turned out that only two (2!) pictures saved to my phone from my entire range trip. It's time for an upgrade.

Ran 3 to 18 without any mikes (17 and 18 cut the edge of the card, half-on/half-off) with an old Commander shooting 124gr American Eagle.

This drill was very valuable. I need a taller front sight. This particular pistol was cut for modern sights (Warren U-Notch rear, .180 height Dawson Tritium front) but it still shoots a grandpa-style 6-o'clock hold on 25 yard B8s. Guessing the hold-under got a little... precarious. But, it wasn't as bad as I though. At 18, I had the index card a little less than an index card's height off the front sight. 10 yards and in is basically a drive-the-dot sight picture.

Going yard by yard did a lot for helping me get comfortable with this pistol.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Gun used: Glock 17-5
    Starting distance: 7 yards
    Distance of farthest successful hit: 21 yards (missed first shot high at 20 yards)[ATTACH=CONFIG]43618
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Dale Miller
    www.azonesolutions.com

Quote Originally Posted by azone View Post
    Gun used: Glock 17-5
    Starting distance: 7 yards
    Distance of farthest successful hit: 21 yards (missed first shot high at 20 yards)[ATTACH=CONFIG]43618
    Nice! Helluva group

Pistol: Gen5 GLOCK Model 19MOS with Aimpoint ACRO mounted.
    Started at 5 yards, last shot at 20 yards. One about one diameter off card, low right, the direction I found curious. That shot was at 17 or 18 yards.
    I am pleased with result, and “sing of the wonders of the red dot”!
    FWIW, I turned off the sight and ran the Heinie Buis for 8 rounds. Started at 3 yards, went to 11, all hits.
    Thanks for the drill

Glock 17-4
    5 yards
    18 yards (ish)

Shot at an indoor range so it was the target moving back "a yard" each time I scored a hit. I'm scheduled to have my eyes tested in a week or so, between my eyesight and the indoor lighting I struggled to see the target. I think my misses were at about the 15 yard mark.

Name:  sweet 16 10:14:19.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  26.7 KB
    Last edited by hiro; 10-16-2019 at 11:22 PM.

User Tag List