Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 GSP Build

1911 GSP Build

Hi,there was a thread a while ago about a member buying a used Springfield 1911 GSP pistol,I had one and like most good things that I had,I don't have it any longer.I'd like to solicit your help in building a 1911 GSP based on a Springfield Mil-Spec Defender.Like the original,I want a simple and reliable 1911.Any suggestions on gunsmiths and parts for the build?The only compromise that I'd make to modernity is a more visible front sight.I haven't had a 1911 in a very long time and feel it's time to get back to basics.Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by RONK; 09-26-2019 at 06:03 AM.

Site Supporter
    Does your wallet know what is about to happen!!??

All kidding aside, @Tokarev, I believe, was the poster you were referencing. I remember because I lusted over those pics for a while! Searching “Gunsite” should find his thread pretty easily. Phenomenal gun, and I’m glad you are taking on the project. I think Yost was the original smith on his pistol. Any of the names you will see here can do what you want. I will also throw out some of the new guys on a 1911 addicts website for consideration as their waitlists and pricing may be more attractive.

And the new Colt Gunsite Pistol is a great gun at a decent price as well!
    Last edited by TOTS; 09-26-2019 at 07:22 AM.

I just picked up a Defender planning on a GSP build. Then I shot it and man , it is pretty nice out of the box. Needs a few edges broken, but other than that it’s got a decent trigger and sights. I put some pachs on it and I’m really liking it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RONK View Post
    The only compromise that I'd make to modernity is a more visible front sight.I haven't had a 1911 in a very long time and feel it's time to get back to basics.
    Not sure what to make of that statement, since a GSP will have several features that differentiate it from a basic/traditional 1911.

beavertail grip safety
    serrated front strap
    updated sights (typically Novak or Novak-style)
    de-horned edges

What a GSP does not have that many modern 1911s do have: a GSP will typically have a serrated front strap instead of checkered, and will not have an undercut trigger guard. They also mostly have plain black front sights. A lot of them have been made with thin grip screw bushings.

A current production Colt GSP would be pretty much good to go, though I would install some regular grip screw bushings as I don't care for thin grips.

The original 1980s GSPs were pretty basic. Cooper's point was not to add what he thought was unnecessary, which is pretty much what everybody considers standard now. IIRC they had bobbed or Commander hammers, maybe an extended thumb safety, and different sights. I bought Mag Pack magazines in the early 1980s because GSPs shipped with them.

I believe the GSP I had was a 1990s version because it had Novaks, but it could have had additional work done later.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Thanks guys!Hambo,yes sir,the one I had and would like to replace was very basic.

Personally speaking, I don't think any handgun really needs anything more than usable sights and a manageable trigger .... all the rest is pretty much fluff. But, I like a little fluff sometimes.

Any decent gunsmith can do sights, trigger work, safeties and beavertails so I'd just find someone with a good reputation that doesn't have an extended queue. My wannabe GSP is this early series 80 pistol was mildly tweaked by Ed Brown when he was still a one-man bench; trigger job, barrel bushing, beavertail and fire control parts. The Novak sights were installed later in '92 by Ted Yost (an overnight job) when he was running the shop at Gunsite. The gun still has the factory barrel and the slide/frame fit is mediocre (I'm being nice) but it still shoots better than I do. The only time it's ever puked was when I wore out the factory extractor.

At practical distances, I can make all the magic I'm capable of without resorting to one of my other 1911's that cost three or four times as much.

Last edited by 41magfan; 09-26-2019 at 10:42 AM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by RONK View Post
    Hi,there was a thread a while ago about a member buying a used Springfield 1911 GSP pistol,I had one and like most good things that I had,I don't have it any longer.I'd like to solicit your help in building a 1911 GSP based on a Springfield Mil-Spec Defender.Like the original,I want a simple and reliable 1911.Any suggestions on gunsmiths and parts for the build?The only compromise that I'd make to modernity is a more visible front sight.I haven't had a 1911 in a very long time and feel it's time to get back to basics.Thanks for any help!
    When you say GSP, do you mean this:

Name:  Gunsite GSP Springfield and hat.jpg
Views: 1386
Size:  39.7 KB

Or do you mean this:

" La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

When the GSP was introduced in late '86, this is what Cooper had to say about it in Gunsite Gossip:

"Last month we announced the availability of the Gunsite Service Pistol. It is constituted as follows:

Springfield Armory Parts
    Hi-vix, fixed sights
    Trigger Job (tested and proved)
    Throat job
    Extractor job
    Speed safety
    Oversized solid bushing
    Bobbed hammer
    Press-fit firing-pin stop
    De-horning
    Dull matte-black finish

The price is $545, including two magazines (and a pinned grip safety if desired). The only extra-cost option is a starboard-side safety."

ETA: Some of you may remember when a few GSP's were made from Auto Ordinance parts (this was pre-Yost period guns). Personally, I thought that was equivalent to polishing a turd and apparently Ted Yost did, too. He bought a bunch of them back just to get them off the streets. :^)
    Last edited by 41magfan; 09-26-2019 at 12:15 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

I recall some of the originals having Millett front sights. whatever you choose to do, avoid those

User Tag List