Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 43X vs 48

43X vs 48

I want to put a red dot, probably a RMSc, on a slim line Glock.

I have had multiple people I respect, tell me they greatly prefer the 43X, and an equal number tell me they shoot the 48 better. I have, at various times, believed I shot both the 48 and 43X better. Anyone have data to help resolve this?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I think preference between the two is somewhat subjective, so it's hard to say one way or the other if considering shootability only. Something that is not subjective, however, is that they use the same RSA but the 48 has a slightly heavier slide. If I were looking to add the weight of a MRDS to the slide, I'd likely start with the lighter slide to err on the side of caution.

Would an RMSc weigh any more than the metal removed with the optic cut?

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    Would an RMSc weigh any more than the metal removed with the optic cut?
    I think you missed StraitR’s point. Same RSA for both guns, 48 slide weighs more than 43x slide... adding whatever weight to the 43x slide would likely still be less than the 48 slide weighs stock. The amount of metal removed for milling is inconsequential either way. (No snark implied or intended. Don’t get the wrong idea.)

To GJM’s original question... methinks you sir, likely shoot either better than most of us. We just want to know how many rounds it takes you to destroy the chosen optic.
    Last edited by jandbj; 10-03-2019 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    I think you missed StraitR’s point. Same RSA for both guns, 48 slide weighs more than 43x slide... adding whatever weight to the 43x slide would likely still be less than the 48 slide weighs stock. The amount of metal removed for milling is inconsequential either way. (No snark implied or intended. Don’t get the wrong idea.)
    No offense was taken.

I didn't miss StraitR's point. He brings up a valid consideration. I think that perhaps you may have mistaken my question for a counterpoint. If the optic weighs more than the steel cut from the slide, then it is a valid consideration. If the optic weighs the same or less than the steel removed then it just doesn't matter because you are not adding weight.

In all honesty, I have no clue how much the steel weighs compared to the optic, and that is why I asked.

Every time I've shot them back to back no matter the drill the 48 has been better ,margins vary , but I always personally shoot a 48 better than a 43X. More subjectively I find it easier to shoot and that it requires less work to get those results. This was with iron sights but nothing in my experience leads me to belive this will be any different with a dot.

I also find the 48 to be more comfortable and stable carried AIWB.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

This is something I worked to answer for myself and I honestly flipped back and forth between the G48/48X a lot. I spent several range sessions over the course of a few weeks and found that performance varied between the two based on what type of drills and shooting were being performed. For example when I shoot, “The Test.” With the G43X I have more X’s and shots are tighter. On things like Bills to a B-8 at 7 as fast as I can keep them in the black 43X hands down. Same when coming out of the holster for things like Gabe’s standards. Sight acquisition is a hair faster as are follow up shots with the 43X rounds are tight in the head box by comparison especially on transition. There is a big difference in cycle speed on the G43X vs the 48 that seems to aid in keeping on the sights. To quote @JHC the G48 when running as fast and hard as you can seems like, “chaos in the sights.” Not so with the 43X.

To quantify actual times I will need to look at my notes but IIRC times are very very close between the two but with the G43X being a few split seconds faster and providing more Alpha’s and X’s shooting at speed 7-10 and in. I need to collect more data and compare accuracy and speed at 10 yards plus as well as I’m sure things will look a little different for me over the course of a few months. I will now have lots of time for this as I’ve literally sold off/am selling off everything and will be solely focusing on the G43X. Now, if I am purely shooting at 25 plus I prefer the extra sight radius on the G48 but gauging from JHC’s shooting at 25 and 40 yards with his 43X I think it is more a matter of skill that any limitation of the gun. So in typical PF fashion it depends.

Here is an example of what I am talking about. Left target is 43X right G48, drill was “The Test” at 10 yards both shot from concealment same sights. G43X time 9.19 clean G48 10.02. Not a huge difference in time but the accuracy at speed I am able to wring out on demand with the G43X speaks volumes, down 3 points vs 5 plus the bulk of my rounds are within about 2”. I clearly have to work harder to keep the G48 down and keep the sights in the black. These groups and times are representative of what I can do on demand 10y and in between the two guns.

Attachment 43272

Lastly @GJM if I was going to red dot a slim line gun it would definitely be the G43X. Partially in part to slide weight concerns and recoil spring weights, secondly due to cycle speed. Though both guns could benefit from a red dot I think based on my short experience that the G43X will preform better and be able to be run harder than the 48.
    Last edited by Mike C; 10-04-2019 at 05:17 AM.

Well. Shiite...

Based on GJM's prior postings I had decided to go the 43X route even though the 48 seems more "balanced" at least from a visual perspective - which doesn't actually matter. (Also, I totally dig my 19X so hopefully that translates over to the 43X.) Now he (GJM) comes along and says it's a wash sorta and he is undecided about which is 'better". C'mon man! You got people trying to spend money based on what you are posting! Okay, I'm (mostly) joking around here.

My real comment is that I wonder if the 48 might actually somewhat delay the optic taking a dump since the slide velocity is reduced to whatever degree as compared to the 43X. Further, I'm going to posit that perhaps it is the reduced slide *mass* with the 43X, which leads to reduced muzzle flip / chaos in the sights.

A benefit to the 43X is the availability of a Brownell's RMS-cut slide, which seems to cost the same as a milling job from anybody reputable.

I want to RDS a 43X as well. I'm just wondering if I can live with the less durable RMS-C vs. something like a Type 2 RMR. There are two options for the 43X for an RMR, L&M Precision and Suarez. Both install an adapter to widen the slide in order to accept the RMR screws. The RMR would be, in my view, the more durable and vetted option; the RMS would be much lower profile.

Decisions, decisions...

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    A benefit to the 43X is the availability of a Brownell's RMS-cut slide, which seems to cost the same as a milling job from anybody reputable.

I want to RDS a 43X as well. I'm just wondering if I can live with the less durable RMS-C vs. something like a Type 2 RMR. There are two options for the 43X for an RMR, L&M Precision and Suarez. Both install an adapter to widen the slide in order to accept the RMR screws. The RMR would be, in my view, the more durable and vetted option; the RMS would be much lower profile.

Decisions, decisions...
    YVK got a pre cut 43 slide from Brownell’s and returned it because it wasn’t reliable. I am very leery about non OEM Glock slides.

Thoughts about having a 43 vs 43X slide cut — as my 43 is just sitting around since getting the X?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List