Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun Reloads

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Just so it’s clear, I am not assigning a single thing to what TC is teaching in class. It is a general view of what I see on videos and social media discussions and range stuff on a general whole. I would hope that what I teach and TC does are fairly close in general subject matter.

Where I see a TON of this kind of stuff across the board is what comes out of the sport shooting primary skills getting made a priority in street shooting skills.
    Most sport shooters could care less about self defense shooting and tactics. The timer oriented “defensive” drills are coming from timmies trying to compete without wearing the jersey, not from the sport shooters.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Most sport shooters could care less about self defense shooting and tactics. The timer oriented “defensive” drills are coming from timmies trying to compete without wearing the jersey, not from the sport shooters.
    *couldn't

And literally everything else you said there is wrong too, but that's not a particular surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    It is frightening how in line we are on things these day....frightening.
    He's trying to lull you to sleep, Darryl. Don't fall for it...stay awake, awake I say!!!
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    *couldn't

And literally everything else you said there is wrong too, but that's not a particular surprise.
    Why don’t you explain why you disagree rather than just being disagreeable.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Why don’t you explain why you disagree rather than just being disagreeable.
    Who are these "most" sport shooters? Most sport shooters that you know? Most sport shooters in USPSA? Most sport shooters in IDPA? Your statement is so broad as to be completely meaningless, because I could just as easily say "most sport shooters are interested in self defense" without providing any other relevant data sets.

Second: which timer oriented defensive drills? Bill Drills? FAST? Or are you just making broad statements with no backing in order to reinforce your own narrow view of the firearms community?

If you're going to make sweeping statements with no credible backing, expect them to be challenged exactly as such. Although it might have been easier for me to just say "citation needed."

Sport shooting is exactly what it's titled.

"Sport".

About the only thing that ties to the practical implication of the various disciplines is the fundamental aspects of the shooting act itself. Tactics, equipment, etc. isn't remotely related. A lot of people can't figure that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Sport shooting is exactly what it's titled.

"Sport".

About the only thing that ties to the practical implication of the various disciplines is the fundamental aspects of the shooting act itself. Tactics, equipment, etc. isn't remotely related. A lot of people can't figure that out.
    WHO? Who are these people who insist that competition shooting is teaching tactics? Because I've been deeply involved in competition shooting for 13 years now, and I don't know any of these people that keep getting referenced.

No one is saying this. What lots of people, including some of the most switched on dudes in the world, are saying is that competition gives you the only opportunity to properly stress test your marksmanship skills outside of well structured force on force training.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    WHO? Who are these people who insist that competition shooting is teaching tactics? Because I've been deeply involved in competition shooting for 13 years now, and I don't know any of these people that keep getting referenced.

No one is saying this. What lots of people, including some of the most switched on dudes in the world, are saying is that competition gives you the only opportunity to properly stress test your marksmanship skills outside of well structured force on force training.
    You need to come to "hickville" where I'm at and shoot some IDPA training!

I hear you and actually agree, most of those shooting at high level in the games are educated in reality. I kind of said that too in a manner of speaking...."is the fundamental aspects of the shooting act itself". I was agreeing with your post about 3 Gun "being divorced from reality". And quite honestly all gun games are. I've went to the line many times with a full tube, 22 rounds on my chest, 6 more on my wrist, plus another in a match saver and shot almost all of them. I hold no illusion anything remotely close to that will happen if I ever deploy my scattergun in a real fight. I'll have 7 in my Browning or 9 in my 590 and likely be wearing nothing but my underwear.

Lets not even bring up the 18+ targets in the average COF. Ooops...

Name:  IMG_1028.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  38.0 KBName:  IMG_0864.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  64.6 KB

For the OP's hardware question, MesaTactical does have a 4-round right side carrier on the market:
    https://www.mesatactical.com/product...ight-side.html

Having enough ammo with a shotgun is going to be a compromise compared to what some handguns and rifles are capable of providing ammo-wise.

Depending on one's threat-scenario, how much ammo is something you'll just have to decide and plan.
    I'm guessing with the Aridus sidesaddle, you already have an additional 6 rounds to, what may be, 4 rounds already in the mag tube. If you weren't using a short-barrel-shotgun, an 18.5" barrel shotgun might provide up to 6 or 7 rounds in the mag tube, but with the potential decreased mobility of 4" more of barrel length; another compromise.

Just for info, I pictured some of what I have or had-for-work.
    One photo merely shows a Mossberg 14" 590A1 which we used for work. It had 4 buckshot rounds in the tube; and 4 slugs in the Speedfeed-brand stock; which are 2 rounds on the left-side-rear and another 2 rounds on the right-side-rear (I see the photo is too dark to even see the shell holder stock's details).

My personal gun shown, is a Mossberg 590A1 18.5", with 4 buckshot rounds (downloaded one) in the tube; 4 slug rounds on the receiver sidesaddle, and (not seen in the photo) another 5 slug rounds on a stock-mounted sidesaddle screwed into the stock.
    https://www.brownells.com/shooting-a...?sku=100005355

This gives me 13 rounds (14 if I loaded the mag tube to full capacity) on the gun itself when I grab just this shotgun. If 13 isn't enough, I suppose I'm "SOL"; transitioning to handgun (should I have one); going to knife (if I have one).

There are other ammo-carrier products on the market which can do the same thing with Velcro-hook-&-loop attachments or elastic. I just didn't use those this time around.

The training to top off &/or reload has already been discussed. I believe it is a "perishable skill" and needs to be practiced. Our department only qualified 2x/year and one can tell who needed more practice. Each person is different with some needing more practice than others. Also, some LEOs handled the shotgun daily in loading and reloading; while others only handled the shotgun those two times per year at qualification time.
    Last edited by L-2; 10-03-2019 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    You need to come to "hickville" where I'm at and shoot some IDPA training!

I hear you and actually agree, most of those shooting at high level in the games are educated in reality. I kind of said that too in a manner of speaking...."is the fundamental aspects of the shooting act itself". I was agreeing with your post about 3 Gun "being divorced from reality". And quite honestly all gun games are. I've went to the line many times with a full tube, 22 rounds on my chest, 6 more on my wrist, plus another in a match saver and shot almost all of them. I hold no illusion anything remotely close to that will happen if I ever deploy my scattergun in a real fight. I'll have 7 in my Browning or 9 in my 590 and likely be wearing nothing but my underwear.

Lets not even bring up the 18+ targets in the average COF. Ooops...
    Fair point! I actually have run into people who think IDPA teaches tactics, but I just sort of treat them like I'd treat a slow child. "awww, aren't you precious."

User Tag List