Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shotgun Reloads

Shotgun Reloads

The shotgun vs rifles thread had me thinking about what I have in the home and what I am most likely to use. My SBS is most likely what I am going to pull for home defense duty. As an SBS, I took the already known short capacity of the shotgun and made it shorter. Likelihood of engaging multiple perps inside of the home and the need/want to top off the gun is something that is bugging me. Naturally combat loading when running dry is the quickest way to get a round back into the fight but what about ensuring that the gun has enough to keep going? And I'd be reloading from an Aridus sidesaddle if that helps with relevance.

I've seen taking each individual round and shoving them in, taking two from the carrier and doing a twins load, taking rounds and inverting the shotgun with the loading port upwards...will need to get dummy rounds and work on things but curious with the instructors/shotgunners/etc to see what works for you.

"Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

I like the video, to which Hambo linked. Just thinking out load, however: Are there any good ways to mount a shell, or two, on the same side of the weapon as the ejection port? Reaching over or under the weapon does not seem very efficient. I have seen “match savers” on a few guns, but question their long-term ruggedness, and they hold only one shell, anyway.

Being a lefty with long guns, I have long preferred to keep shot shells and slugs on my person, while LEO-ing, within easy reach of my right hand, to facilitate expedient access to the ejection port. Not many of us wear spare shot shells on our PJs, of course.
    Last edited by Rex G; 10-02-2019 at 01:12 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I like the video, to which Hambo linked. Just thinking out load, however: Are there any good ways to mount a shell, or two, on the same side of the weapon as the ejection port? Reaching over or under the weapon does not seem very efficient.
    With the right technique it is. I regularly demonstrate an emergency reload in under 2 seconds. Meaning on the beep of a timer from a low ready position, I fire a shot on target, reload the chamber from the side saddle, and fire another shot on target. This happens in between 1.68 and 1.99 seconds depending on how clean my technique is.

I have seen “match savers” on a few guns, but question their long-term ruggedness, and they hold only one shell, anyway.
    Right...and, crucially, it has me going to a different side of the gun for an emergency load. That's cool if you are the kind of person who is practicing your reloads religiously like 3 gunners.

Not ideal for most people who are not training that regularly with the scatter gun.

I run a Vang Comp side saddle and with that I can perform up to 6 emergency reloads with the exact same manipulation if I have to. With a match saver, apart from knowing whether or not the shell is going to be there, I'd have to transition to the side saddle from the match saver if I needed more ammo.

Doable, but it complicates the manipulations on a weapon that already has complex and rarely practiced manipulations.

Being a lefty with long guns, I have long preferred to keep shot shells and slugs on my person, while LEO-ing, within easy reach of my right hand, to facilitate expedient access to the ejection port. Not many of us wear spare shot shells on our PJs, of course.
    I've spent a fair bit of time working on the left-handed problem and generally speaking I can get lefties reloading from a suitable side saddle a lot more quickly than they thought possible.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Keebsley View Post
    The shotgun vs rifles thread had me thinking about what I have in the home and what I am most likely to use. My SBS is most likely what I am going to pull for home defense duty. As an SBS, I took the already known short capacity of the shotgun and made it shorter. Likelihood of engaging multiple perps inside of the home and the need/want to top off the gun is something that is bugging me. Naturally combat loading when running dry is the quickest way to get a round back into the fight but what about ensuring that the gun has enough to keep going? And I'd be reloading from an Aridus sidesaddle if that helps with relevance.

I've seen taking each individual round and shoving them in, taking two from the carrier and doing a twins load, taking rounds and inverting the shotgun with the loading port upwards...will need to get dummy rounds and work on things but curious with the instructors/shotgunners/etc to see what works for you.
    I frequently carry a short barrel shotgun that holds five rounds in the tube in the field, so I can relate to your question. I always carry extra ammo with me. I support being proficient loading the shotgun.

There may be situations where reloading the shotgun during an event makes sense, and it certainly makes sense to top off after, but for a high percentage of the time, my plan is to draw my pistol where I have the capability to fire many shots, in about the time it takes to load one shotgun load.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    For a look at how a lefty reload from a side saddle works, JDC Instructor Jay LaLuz runs the JDC Shotgun El Pres left handed:

https://www.facebook.com/JustifiedDe...7148606928528/
    3/15/2016

If you have a side saddle and body mounted ammo I'd recommend using the body mounted ammo first if you can. Save the side saddle for when you're taking fire(while moving or behind cover) or if it's your only ammo.

Pretty standard reload drill for me

Over the top when dry

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    If you have a side saddle and body mounted ammo I'd recommend using the body mounted ammo first if you can. Save the side saddle for when you're taking fire(while moving or behind cover) or if it's your only ammo.

This is mostly for bang in the night type hoodlum stuff wanting my pimp 75" TV. Haven't hunted bad guys for about....5 years now so no body mounted ammo unless I decide to toss a warbelt on over my chonies.

Quote Originally Posted by Keebsley View Post
    This is mostly for bang in the night type hoodlum stuff wanting my pimp 75" TV. Haven't hunted bad guys for about....5 years now so no body mounted ammo unless I decide to toss a warbelt on over my chonies.
    Safariland makes some nice +2 belt mounted carriers.

The soe chest rig is pretty quick to throw on if I feel I might need it. Bump in the night? I probably won't grab it.

User Tag List