Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: B-17 (Wings of Freedom Tour) Crashed in Connecticut

This is sad. The owner (foundation) of this plane used to be my neighbor, and I'd been meaning to take a ride sometime. I assume the occupants were historical enthusiasts and in our community.

Was this, “Ye Olde Pub,”? It was just here last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thoughts and prayers to all involved.

That aircraft was designed in a different time, for a critical mission that was other than for the safe transport of passengers.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Prayers for those who lost friends and family today.

I'm torn on flying these aircraft. They were made to fly, but there are so few of them. I've seen many P-51 Mustangs fly. I've seen ONE P-38 Lightning fly. The difference in the sound of those aircraft is something I'll never forget (the Mustang's Merlin sounds classy, the Lightning's Allisons sound like a hot rod) and is something you don't get at a museum.

I used to fly a lot in a C-47 that the Navy still used around 1970. I think someone told me it had been built in 1947.

With that experience you couldn't get me in a reconditioned B-17. You just couldn't pay me enough money. I'm lucky I'm still alive. Those ww2 vintage airplanes should stay on the ground, every one them.

My sympathies go out to the families of those who died in that crash.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    I disagree these airplanes should stay on the ground. My heart breaks for those who died and their families, but the people who keep these machines in the air keep history alive in a way no museum display can.

My dad and I went to lots of air shows when I was growing up. It was one thing to hear him tell me about the CAS he received from marine f4u Corsairs in Korea. It was another to hold his hand when one started up in front of us, or see how moved he was when one whistled overhead. And the same for several other of those birds - he was an inspector of parts for then Douglas Aircaft after the war, part of how he paid for university.

I hope they keep flying for a long time to come, pursuant to proper inspection and maintenance, which I know is increasingly difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Was this, “Ye Olde Pub,”? It was just here last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No, it was Nine-O-Nine. A terrible tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    With that experience you couldn't get me in a reconditioned B-17. You just couldn't pay me enough money. I'm lucky I'm still alive. Those ww2 vintage airplanes should stay on the ground, every one them.
    No, they don’t need to stay on the ground.

I’ve been fairly involved in the Warbird community throughout my life, and have flown various WW2 aircraft over the years. I also worked for a company that gave rides in WW2 aircraft when I was in college. My brother went for a ride in Nine-O-Nine a few years ago. About 9 years ago, I rode in Sentimental Journey, another B-17, with my father at the controls.

I’ve seen what those airplanes mean to the WW2 vets that flew them. Those planes are an important part of history that people can touch, hear, and watch fly. I think it’s important to keep them going for future generations.

As far as the age of the planes— The vast majority of the general aviation fleet is old— built in the 1950’s through 1970’s. Properly maintained, it’s just not a big deal. I have a significant amount of time flying airplanes built in the 1940’s, and have zero issues taking my family flying in them, including my 3 year old daughter.

Keep‘em flying.
    https://www.warbirds-eaa.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I used to fly a lot in a C-47 that the Navy still used around 1970. I think someone told me it had been built in 1947.

My sympathies go out to the families of those who died in that crash.
    Bah !! We have 1947 vintage aircraft flying all over this state safely, including C-47's. My dad flew DC-3's and C-47's.. they are tough as hell and if well maintained, perfectly safe.

About to say, the USAF just recommissioned a 50 year old B-52.

Its not the age, it’s the hours.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Bah !! We have 1947 vintage aircraft flying all over this state safely, including C-47's. My dad flew DC-3's and C-47's.. they are tough as hell and if well maintained, perfectly safe.
    I flew a 1947 Stinson Voyager for a lot of years. What matters is maintenance.

A lightly-loaded B-17 should have been flyable with one engine out, so it'll be interesting to see what the NTSB has to say.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List