Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We are not the only ones with old design bombers

Site Supporter

We are not the only ones with old design bombers

https://www.defense-aerospace.com/ar...abilities.html

Based on the TU-16 which IIRC was a peer of the B-47. However, the new ones extend the cruise missile launch range significantly out into the Pacific. Still, interesting to see something like that still making a contribution. The B-1Bs will go before the B-52, or so I read.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Big Ugly Fat F(*&ers Forever.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I've read that the AF plans to keep B-52s into the 2040s. It makes me wonder if we'd bought YB-49s and upgraded B-58s, if the AF would still be using those as well.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    ... upgraded B-58s, if the AF would still be using those as well.
    Probably not. The FB-111 is already gone and was probably more useful than the B-58.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    100 years of service...

B-52 in 2055

C-130 in 2056

There doesn't seem to be anything on the horizon that will keep those from happening. Pretty awesome when you think about the technology that was available to create them.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    https://www.defense-aerospace.com/ar...abilities.html

Based on the TU-16 which IIRC was a peer of the B-47. However, the new ones extend the cruise missile launch range significantly out into the Pacific. Still, interesting to see something like that still making a contribution. The B-1Bs will go before the B-52, or so I read.
    The way the Soviets did things, I would not be surprised if there isn't a new bomber out of Russia till there is a new US or European one to rip off.

Site Supporter
    Chinese have a stealth bomber in the works. https://www.airforcetimes.com/flashp...omber-project/

I watched a Chinese military move on Netflix. It was about evacuating Chinese citizens from a Middle Eastern country (based on a real evacuation of Yemen). It was a good shoot'em up with nice looks at their ships and special forces. Surprised they would shoot up an Arab country. At the end of the movie though, they had the task force of Chinese ships chasing an Aegis cruiser out of Chinese waters, with patriotic music. There's a Chinese fights off the Alien invasion - Shangai Fortress that's ok. I didn't know they did CGI sci-fi and military flics like ours.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Chinese have a stealth bomber in the works. https://www.airforcetimes.com/flashp...omber-project/

I watched a Chinese military move on Netflix. It was about evacuating Chinese citizens from a Middle Eastern country (based on a real evacuation of Yemen). It was a good shoot'em up with nice looks at their ships and special forces. Surprised they would shoot up an Arab country. At the end of the movie though, they had the task force of Chinese ships chasing an Aegis cruiser out of Chinese waters, with patriotic music. There's a Chinese fights off the Alien invasion - Shangai Fortress that's ok. I didn't know they did CGI sci-fi and military flics like ours.
    Why would you think a Chinese movie featuring Chinese Special forces and ships has any relevance to actual Chinese Military and Naval forces?

That’s like saying I watched Delta Force with Chuck Norris and because it was based on a true story it gave an interesting look at the US Delta Force

Site Supporter
    Who said it did? I just said I liked the movie and likes seeing the close ups of their new ships. It's not relevant at all. The ships were the real ships as seen in other clips.

Do you mean our naval aviators aren't like Tom Cruise and play male sweaty volley ball?
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 10-03-2019 at 01:26 PM.

An ability to haul a heavy load to a long range will always have military value.

In addition to the capabilities discussed in the link to the initial post, there appears to be a Chinese capability to launch a DF-21D ASBM off of the H-6N, and the rocket-propelled drone shown off in the recent Chinese military parade may also be intended for launch from the Chinese bomber.

Chinese Bomber Plus ASBM War Zone Article

Rocket-Propelled Chinese Recon Drone War Zone Article
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

User Tag List