Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Self-Defense vs Competition Shooting

Self-Defense vs Competition Shooting

In some ways it amazes me that this is still even a discussion at this point. But one of the things I've learned is that the three year hobbyist cycle of firearms enthusiasm means even if content is a repeat for me, it's likely new to someone else.

Oh also, competition will not get you killed and if you can't tell the difference between a shooting match and a gunfight, you don't have any business doing either.

Total Dunning-Kruger going on in the comments. The people for whom the message of the video poses any benefit are the ones saying, "herp derp no timers in real life herp derp I might unload and show clear on the streets."

Plinking is not practice is not training is not competition is not gunfighting
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    if you can't tell the difference between a shooting match and a gunfight, you don't have any business doing either.
    Weird how I already addressed that.
    Last edited by jetfire; 10-02-2019 at 12:46 AM.

Student
    three year hobbyist cycle of firearms enthusiasm means even if content is a repeat for me, it's likely new to someone else
    Tell me more about this three year hobbyist cycle.
    Last edited by Yung; 10-02-2019 at 12:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    Tell me more about this three year hobbyist cycle.
    Most people don't embrace shooting/personal defense as a lifestyle, they take it on as a hobby. I'm going to make some big sweeping statements about "average" people, which by and large this forum doesn't have a lot of.

Normal people tend to take on hobbies in 4 stages: initial spark, learning the basics, familiarity, and loss of interest. Basic girl decides to she wants to do yoga to get more fit (initial spark) so she signs up for classes (learning the basics) and does that for a few months. She buys her own mat, gets some leggins, and takes regular classes for 2-3 years, until she gets pretty fuckin' good at yoga, at which point for various lifestyle reasons, her interest fades. She still likes yoga, still has her mat, still takes the occasional class, but it doesn't dominate her interests anymore.

The first two phases (spark and basics) usually take about a year, then there's a good year or two in familiarity before interest fades.

You see it with shooting all the time if you attend matches. You'll certainly have a nucleus of nutjobs who are dedicated enthusiasts and have been shooting and competing for ages, these guys form the backbone of any club. But just as important are the transient shooters: guys who get into it for a while, buy all the gear, get okay, then interest fades. They still have guns and they still like shooting, but they're not at USPSA every weekend anymore and they're not dry firing in their basement 3 nights a week.

Think about how many golf clubs have been sold because of exactly this business model.

Site Supporter
    Normal people tend to take on hobbies in 4 stages: initial spark, learning the basics, familiarity, and loss of interest.
    For me, there's a 5th stage (Renewal) or maybe a arrow pointing back to Initial Spark (learning the basics then becomes re-familiarization). I have a number of hobbies that run through this cycle repeatedly over the years. Probably good as I don't have time, money, or adequate attention to focus on all of them at once when I'm in the initial spark (or rediscovery) phase.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Plinking is not practice is not training is not competition is not gunfighting
    NEWB, gunfighting will get you killed on Da Streetz.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    NEWB, gunfighting will get you killed on Da Streetz.
    Plinking will ingrain bad habits, every range session has to be hard core bro. If you aint yellin and side steppin every time it's your funeral.

I stood at the 5 yard line and fired 50 rounds at a B27. Good day training.

IDPA Marksman, that's like the equivalent of a SEAL 6 point man.

I'm a gunfighter now. Used my Judge to (accidentally) shoot a meth head (in the foot) that was breaking into my car after dark in Texas. Me and my assistant (Instagram Thot) will be teaching a gunfighting class next week.

I was in the Army (ROTC) running and gunning in the sandbox (Airsoft at Fort Bliss). I have a sweet beard and tatts. Yesterday was your last easy day maggot, now let's get your CCW qualification started.

Last edited by JodyH; 10-02-2019 at 08:08 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Was it Mas Ayoob that said something like "A competition isn't a gunfight, but a gunfight is damned sure a competition"?
    I always thought that summed it up nicely.
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Plinking will ingrain bad habits, every range session has to be hard core bro. If you aint yellin and side steppin every time it's your funeral.

I stood at the 5 yard line and fired 50 rounds at a B27. Good day training.

IDPA Marksman, that's like the equivalent of a SEAL 6 point man.

I'm a gunfighter now. Used my Judge to (accidentally) shoot a meth head (in the foot) that was breaking into my car after dark in Texas. Me and my assistant (Instagram Thot) will be teaching a gunfighting class next week.

I was in the Army (ROTC) running and gunning in the sandbox (Airsoft at Fort Bliss). I have a sweet beard and tatts. Yesterday was your last easy day maggot, now let's get your CCW qualification started.

Could you tell us about your "carry rotation" please? [emoji41]

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

User Tag List