Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HST Survival Story

HST Survival Story

Awesome story...good marketing but I doubt if HST was the deciding factor in him winning

Site Supporter
    [SARCASM] Impossible! Everyone knows all illegal aliens are harmless, innocent victims....[/SARCASM]

Quote Originally Posted by wsr View Post
    Awesome story...good marketing but I doubt if HST was the deciding factor in him winning
    Agreed!! Dude can look in the mirror and see why he not only survived, but triumphed!
    He dug deep and saved himself.

But, on the other, I'll keep carrying my HST's.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Agreed!! Dude can look in the mirror and see why he not only survived, but triumphed!
    He dug deep and saved himself.

But, on the other, I'll keep carrying my HST's.
    I carry HSTs also but in this situation any decent quality round would have sufficed...Tula probably would have been just as effective

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I'm glad he survived.

I think the bigger takeaway from that presentation is this:

When an attack has commenced, it is no use to attempt to reason with your attacker. Note that the officer stated he attempted to reason with a man who was stabbing him.

If you talk to the experts this is a fairly common reaction to lethal levels of violence...the intended victim thinking "Why me?" or attempting to reason with the person actively trying to kill them.

This is where the mindset thing comes in. It is useful to accept as a fact that there are people out there who will try to kill you. They will attempt this for reasons that will never make sense to you. Why is irrelevant. Logic, reason, deescalation are all potentially useful before an attack occurs.

Once the attack has begun the only useful response is an immediate and remorselessly violent counter assault and to prosecute that counter assault until such time as they stop trying to kill you.

The other guy has made the decision to kill you.

Why is irrelevant.

All that is relevant is stopping him. As quickly as possible.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 10-02-2019 at 12:53 PM.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I'm glad he survived.

When an attack has commenced, it is no use to attempt to reason with your attacker. Note that the officer stated he attempted to reason with a man who was stabbing him.

If you talk to the experts this is a fairly common reaction to lethal levels of violence...the intended victim thinking "Why me?" or attempting to reason with the person actively trying to kill them.

This is where the mindset thing comes in. It is useful to accept as a fact that there are people out there who will try to kill you. They will attempt this for reasons that will never make sense to you. Why is irrelevant. Logic, reason, deescalation are all potentially useful before an attack occurs.

Once the attack has begun the only useful response is an immediate and remorselessly violent counter assault and to prosecute that counter assault until such time as they stop trying to kill you.

Why is irrelevant.

This is gold. I am totally stealing it (with proper citation) for a college use of force class.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    First day off of my vacation - I really didn't want to go to the gym today.

Just watched this video - I'm going to the gym.

To quote Seeklander - "The Battle is Coming....."

Thanks for the motivation I needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    First day off of my vacation - I really didn't want to go to the gym today.

Just watched this video - I'm going to the gym.

To quote Seeklander - "The Battle is Coming....."

Thanks for the motivation I needed.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I'm glad he survived.

Why is irrelevant.

Back in the early 80's when I was working UC involving the mob and outlaw motorcycle gangs, I had occasion to listen to a recording made by another UC who was violently attacked with a knife by a party he was investigating.

While he was being stabbed repeatedly he was holding a conversation with the perpetrator...and speaking of himself in the past tense. "I can't believe you killed me" and related statements. To say it was hair raising and harrowing is an understatement. (He survived, as I recall.)

It was very difficult to sit through but left a huge impression. I listened to hours of such UC tapes back then. I can't remember now if my agency or FLETC was the custodian. Regardless, not for the faint of heart.

I tried to be an affable UC for the most part, but also one leaving the impression that I'd crawl through your window and dispatch your family if you threatened me. It's a fine line.
    Last edited by blues; 10-02-2019 at 03:18 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List