Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AR Rifle 20"

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Rock River isn't normally at the top of my list for quality ARs, but they seem to be one of the few reasonably reputable sources currently supplying A2 style uppers.
    *GASP* They have a midlength A2 complete upper...
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    So here's the rabbit hole idea this thread has bubbled up in my little terrier brain:

• WOA A2 upper with NM pinned rear sight assy
    • AR15 Performance 20-in 3R barrel & bolt
    • muzzle device compatible with can system of choice
    • BCM QRF 12" handguard, relieved as necessary to clear FSB
    • Zev/Mega forged lower
    • Geissele SSA-E
    • BCM Mod2 grip
    • Magpul MOE rifle stock
    • 20-rd metal Colt mags because they look right
    • Other stuff is pretty much commodity from quality vendors

Only sticking point is the BCM QRF anti-rotation clip doesn't fit the wider A2 receiver. Would have to get some notches milled to make it the same width as a flat top at that location, or fab an alternate clip.

Reckon this would be fun take-a-walk gun in open spaces out west. Surprises me I can't find any similar builds.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    So here's the rabbit hole idea this thread has bubbled up in my little terrier brain:

• Zev/Mega forged lower
    • Geissele SSA-E
    • BCM Mod2 grip
    • Magpul MOE rifle stock

Only sticking point is the BCM QRF anti-rotation clip doesn't fit the wider A2 receiver. Would have to get some notches milled to make it the same width as a flat top at that location, or fab an alternate clip.

Reckon this would be fun take-a-walk gun in open spaces out west. Surprises me I can't find any similar builds.
    I dig it! It might be worth some correspondence with WOA to see what lowers best fit their uppers. The ZEV/Mega lowers are great but tolerance creep is tolerance creep, and an outfit in the match rifle business like WOA will know what best fits their stuff.

Also, I'd lean more toward one of their National Match style free floats becuase a free floated quad rail with a fixed carry handle looks pretty incongruous, and there's lots of ways to mount a bipod or light without twelve acres of rail space. Alternatively, going with an Mlok rail gives you all of the same flexibility for bipod/light mounting for less weight and it doesn't look quite as incongruous.

I'd also skip the MOE stock, mostly because I think the MOE fixed stocks look weird. Classic 20 round mags look best with a classic A1 or A2 style stock, IMHO. If it were my rifle to build, I think I'd go with that CMMG A1 length but A2 style stock for a build like this.

• Zev/Mega forged lower
    • Geissele SSA-E
    • BCM Mod2 grip
    • Magpul MOE rifle stock

I have a two rifles with ARP barrels (223 and 22 Predator) and they are both pretty accurate.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Hammertime
    Thanks to @willie, I am going to be getting a Colt, this model:

https://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/...R15A4&zipcode=

Hope it works!

Site Supporter
    I don't know about their quality, but LUTH has, what I consider to be the best carry-handle upper configuration, the C7:

https://www.luth-ar.com/product/a1-s...-m4-feed-ramp/

Available with or without M4 feedramps. They also have an A2 upper and a slick-side A1 upper (both without M4 feedramps).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Thanks to @willie, I am going to be getting a Colt, this model:

https://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/...R15A4&zipcode=

Hope it works!
    Great. I'll help you out even more by working it over with my Dremel tool before you take possession.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    I dig it!

Also, I'd lean more toward one of their National Match style free floats because a free floated quad rail with a fixed carry handle looks pretty incongruous.

I'd also skip the MOE stock, mostly because I think the MOE fixed stocks look weird. Classic 20 round mags look best with a classic A1 or A2 style stock, IMHO.
    I don't wanna turn this place into arfcom, but I found sumdood's photo of his A2 he took in the woods and photochopped the buttstock, grip, handguard and mag onto it. Wanted to see if it looked as right as I thought it would, and it was a lot cheaper than buying all the parts. I like it. My eyes, YMMV. Kinda like a resto-mod muscle car. Old, familiar shape with some modern style and tech nicely integrated. I've never really liked the look of the traditional A1/A2 furniture. The quad rail is almost retro in 2019, but it's also the newest from BCM. There's another thread around here where someone is saying they think the QRF might be the best option due to size, stiffness, ventilation, etc.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I'm definitely partial to A2 handguards with my A2 upper. Still looks good with the Vltor stock on it as well.

For whatever reason the Vltor seemed to work brilliantly with A2 irons but never worked right with optics for me.

Site Supporter
    Doc, bless him, is getting a fine rifle. I could find no fault with it. I'm most pleased that one of us is buying the Colt. My fee for the sale was one can of Dr. Pepper.

User Tag List