Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AR Rifle 20"

Site Supporter
    If you want an A2 style fixed carry handle, and you don't mind the ban-era Colt weirdness, you can frequently find a 20in HBAR or similar configuration for $600-700 on Gunbroker. That's a lot of quality for the price, but again, ban-era Colt weirdness bugs some people. If you don't want to change shit on the wepaon and just want to run mags through it and keep it clean, they're a solid choice.

FN made a fantastic ~$900ish version of the FN15 in a 20in A4 configuration, but it was discontinued. You can find them occasionally for pennies on the dollar on gunbroker. For a complete rifle from FN it is a steal because not a lot of folks ever knew they made such a config, so A4 seeking folks aren't really looking for them.
    Presently FN only offers an A4 configuration as the collectors edition with the complete KAC rail system and such and it's much more expensive, as previously mentioned.

Bushmaster (yeah, I know) also makes a fixed carry handle A2 clone variant. An Army buddy of mine got one since that was the 'easy button' for a nostalgic A2 clone for him and he's not super into guns and didn't really know any better. Surprisingly, it has been accurate and trouble free for him. Upon inspection it's actually put together OK aside from poor gas key staking and a slightly too-long gas tube, both of which were easy enough to fix. Feature wise it was spot on for an A2 except the 1/9 HBAR profile barrel, the lack of coating on the sling loops, and the plastic buttstock trap door. At $700-750ish street price out the door, you could do worse.

The PSA A2 clones bug me because they use an F marked FSB, which is slightly shorter than the FSB that's correct for a fixed carry handle. This means you need to run the front sight post up much further to zero and for me it kind of wrecks the immersion/authenticity since it's hard to un-see anything on the front sight and actually still use the rifle. Obviously for an A4 or other flattop setup the F marked FSB is the correct thing. Otherwise it's a PSA product and as long as you're willing to fix the little things that were a little off when they put it together, it should be fine.

CMMG makes/made an A1 length fixed stock with A2 features, which is a nice combo if you want something a little shorter than the A2's pole vault but don't want to mess about with adjustable stocks or carbine stocks, or a vintage A1 stock that's $$$ these days because of retro builders.

Personally, I really like a 20in rifle with a 6 or 7 position carbine extension and an H6-ish buffer. But I'm 5ft 9in and in full battle rattle I find the A2 stock to be a pain in the ass, especially getting in and out of confined spaces. The M4 buttstock makes a big difference in that regard. But the needs for a 'working gun' in that regard differ considerably from a field rifle being used as Mr. Malamute described.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I have the A2 that I bought new in 1987. I enjoy shooting it when fooling around on rural property. My lgs has a Colt A4 for under $1100. I'm seriously eyeballing it.
    That is a very good price for an LGS. Most rack prices I've seen for a new AR15A4 are in the $1200-1250 range.
    Last edited by JRB; 10-02-2019 at 01:28 AM.

I was browsing around and found fixed carry handles uppers from Model 1 sales and Fulton Armory makes uppers and rifles but they're pretty expensive. I have no idea what the quality of either is.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I was browsing around and found fixed carry handles uppers from Model 1 sales and Fulton Armory makes uppers and rifles but they're pretty expensive. I have no idea what the quality of either is.
    Fulton has a storied history with long lead times, etc. Lots of info on Arfcom and M4C. Their parts are reputed to be very good, but they're geared more toward NM Service Rifle guns and accuracy builds of that nature.

For a visually milspec accuracy build, I've heard very good things about White Oak Armament's parts and builds, but I don't have direct experience with them.
    Having dealt with a few accuracy-focused AR's of that nature, I've found that they tend to be very unforging about ammo selection, and only run well and shoot well with a very specific and narrow range of loads.

If one needs varmit-plinking levels of accuracy, I'd recommend avoiding a milspec appearance entirely and just go with a conventional free floated upper configuration with a good barrel and a good optic.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Fulton has a storied history with long lead times, etc. Lots of info on Arfcom and M4C. Their parts are reputed to be very good, but they're geared more toward NM Service Rifle guns and accuracy builds of that nature.
    That's good to know because I used one of their A1 stocks and LPK to build the lower on my favorite AR.
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I have the A2 that I bought new in 1987. I enjoy shooting it when fooling around on rural property. My lgs has a Colt A4 for under $1100. I'm seriously eyeballing it.
    I have looked for a Colt A4 available on Davidson’s for a long time and they were always sold out. I would definitely go for that.

Thanks for the Brownells tip above. This also looks to be a good rifle at the price but I don’t really know:

https://www.brownells.com/firearms/r...rod113314.aspx

I doubt it'll happen anytime soon but I would love it if Brownell's made an A2 clone.

My first AR was a Colt large hole A2 upper with a 20" govt barrel. It's a great shooter and I still have it today.

For a visually milspec accuracy build, I've heard very good things about White Oak Armament's parts and builds, but I don't have direct experience with them.
    Having dealt with a few accuracy-focused AR's of that nature, I've found that they tend to be very unforging about ammo selection, and only run well and shoot well with a very specific and narrow range of loads.

If one needs varmit-plinking levels of accuracy, I'd recommend avoiding a milspec appearance entirely and just go with a conventional free floated upper configuration with a good barrel and a good optic.
    Personally I avoid Fulton - just think they are over-hyped and over-priced.

I have a White Oak NM upper that is sweet. I also get all my small parts (LPKs) from White Oak. John and crew are good to go and very responsive.
    "Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    For toting around the hills in hand, the carry handle upper fits my hand best, the thumb through the handle, the flat top handle doesnt have a large enough opening. I use the irons mostly for most plinking and carry around in the hills use. The A2 sights are excellent iron sights. White paint or nail polish in the arrows and numbers helps adjust for range and whatever much easier in poorer light, heck any time.
    As usual, I like Malamute's perspective. As a guy with fairly large hands, if I'm going to mess with a carry handle, I can see the attraction of a dedicated forging.

Rock River isn't normally at the top of my list for quality ARs, but they seem to be one of the few reasonably reputable sources currently supplying A2 style uppers.

"National Match" rifle:
    https://www.rockriverarms.com/index....ategory_ID=156

Complete upper:
    https://www.rockriverarms.com/index....ategory_ID=156

You can also get just the forging with sight components, door and FA.

Is any of that worth messing with for a "field rifle" using irons? Which makes the key consideration their sight components. They seem to have some fanciness in their available options. Are they doing it right, or offering lots of different ways that aren't quite awesome?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I have shot WOA uppers for years and can frankly say they are of fantastic quality. Their A2 carry handle sights are engineered for competition shooting so are graduated in either 1/2 or 1/4 MOA increments. I currently have one of his A4 NM upper with a pinned sighted carry handle. Outstanding piece of kit for competition shooting but, probably, overkill for what most want from their A2. As for being finicky, NEVER. Of course they've all been my reloads but I've shot over 20k rounds through two of his uppers without a single hiccup - BUT normally cleaned after about every 200-300 rounds.

Not sure if he offers pinned front sight blocks because everything I've seen have been set screwed into flats machined in the barrel. Normally his rifles have free floated barrels.

User Tag List