Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal premium 150 grain HST Micro

Federal premium 150 grain HST Micro

Anybody use these? Seems legit for short-barreled sub-compacts. I switched to them in the Ruger LC9S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Anybody use these? Seems legit for short-barreled sub-compacts. I switched to them in the Ruger LC9S.

I used to use them in a lcr 9mm. Recoils softer than remington 147. I think i was getting above 850fps. No bullet jump.

Probably doesn't really matter much, but I recall some testing that showed they weren't as good ballistically as the 124gr or 147gr standard HST.

Quote Originally Posted by CalAlumnus View Post
    Probably doesn't really matter much, but I recall some testing that showed they weren't as good ballistically as the 124gr or 147gr standard HST.
    Hmm. I figured since federal’s HST line was some of the best out there that maybe they did their homework and had something good going on for shorter-barreled pistols.

Hmm, .380 and .38s don't do very well either

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Hmm. I figured since federal’s HST line was some of the best out there that maybe they did their homework and had something good going on for shorter-barreled pistols.
    I would have thought so too, but the gel tests I've seen from micro pistols are underwhelming:

3.1" Shield heavy clothing (inconsistent expansion):

3.1" Shield heavy clothing (failed to expand):

It did better with the 3.4" Glock 43

But still occasionally overpenetrated through heavy clothing with a 3.5" M&P9c:

Of course all the above tests were in clear gel, which isn't as dense as ordinance gel so bullets don't always expand as readily. It did reasonably well in the real stuff from a 3.0" P938 although you can see 1 bullet had incomplete expansion through the 4layers of denim:

Personally, I'm sticking with 124+P hst in my micro 9mm pistols.
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 10-02-2019 at 05:15 AM.

Yeah, I go with the standard pressure 124gr (P9HST1). Seems just about any HST is a good choice, except the 150gr.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    I would have thought so too, but the gel tests I've seen from micro pistols are underwhelming:

3.1" Shield heavy clothing (inconsistent expansion):

3.1" Shield heavy clothing (failed to expand):

It did better with the 3.4" Glock 43

But still occasionally overpenetrated through heavy clothing with a 3.5" M&P9c:

Of course all the above tests were in clear gel, which isn't as dense as ordinance gel so bullets don't always expand as readily. It did reasonably well in the real stuff from a 3.0" P938 although you can see 1 bullet had incomplete expansion through the 4layers of denim:

Personally, I'm sticking with 124+P hst in my micro 9mm pistols.
    I figured even the regular 124 grain would have more potential to over penetrate, much more the +P.

I’ve always been afraid to run +P ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by CalAlumnus View Post
    Yeah, I go with the standard pressure 124gr (P9HST1). Seems just about any HST is a good choice, except the 150gr.
    That regular 124 grain HST is what I use in my compact beretta Storm 9mm.

@DocGKR

Has this stuff been tested by you guys, yet? Looking for the right loading for 3-3.25" barreled pistols and your information on tested loads only was done with 3.5" barrels.

User Tag List