Thread: Banded Front sight for plain barrels - yay or nay?

Banded Front sight for plain barrels - yay or nay?

Like the front sight setup shown here: https://www.xssights.com/Detail.aspx...93545&CAT=8269

Good enough for house/occasional field duty? Field duty = being carried around in bear country on a sling.

Site Supporter
    Probably.

I would be inclined to put some green loctite between the band and barrel to be sure. Don't worry about it being permanent, a butane torch will loosen it up.

Chris

I've attached banded sling swivels to rifles using Loctite 680, they've held up well but for a front sight on a shotgun that might be used with slugs, I'd feel better about having some sort of shoulder for the rear of the sight to bear against under recoil. The picture XS uses on their site shows the rear of the front sight up against the base of the magazine tube. That likely will help with longevity.
    Last edited by oregon45; 10-01-2019 at 06:20 PM.

I suspect you’d also be trapping the existing bead within the mount too. That would help anchor it from recoil as well.

Doesnt work on 11-48s

If you want it to stay put, Use a little JB Weld or epoxy underneath.

My experience with clamp on barrel stuff is that if there’s any taper it won’t get a good purchase and it will creep forward under recoil.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

User Tag List