Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Danger of Panicked Masses of Humans

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Panic in humans doesn’t work that way, especially in groups. This would either not be noticed or it would increase the panic.
    I guess I misspoke. There is inherent danger of panicked masses. And the most important thing for you is to get out of it/to a safe place at the edges of it.

The idea to me is you need to create an opening for yourself to get through. Whether the crowd panics more or less is sort of irrelevant to you - you need to the space to get out of it.

Would hammering a whistle as you shove your way through produce enough effect to create a path? Maybe. Apparently, creating a fireball works.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/13/u...oca-Raton.html

Panicked shoppers fled a South Florida mall on Sunday after believing they heard gunshots, prompting police S.W.A.T. teams and federal agents to lock down the commercial center for several hours — but the authorities later said there was no evidence of a shooting.

A man hit his head on a door as he tried to evacuate the building, according to the police, who said the man was being treated at a local hospital. Several other people had minor injuries, the police said.

A spokesman for Delray Medical Center, where the man was taken, said he could not give out information on the patient’s condition.

The scare happened around 3 p.m. at the Town Center at Boca Raton, an upscale shopping mall about an hour north of Miami and right off Interstate 95. It was the latest unfounded report of a shooting at a public place since mass shootings in Odessa, Tex.; Dayton, Ohio; and El Paso, where a gunman killed 22 people at a Walmart in August.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

It's not the first time in FL. Aside from our inability to drive, we're also easily panicked.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    It's not the first time in FL. Aside from our inability to drive, we're also easily panicked.
    Don't want to be late for the 4 o'clock "early bird" special.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I would probably advise against it, in almost every situation. But I think it’s worth thinking about the kinds of things that turn crowds/give you “operating space” within a crowd.

People do tend to move away instinctually, from fire, smoke, gunfire, etc. What other types of things can shift a stampede? Elifritz suggests OC in some of the links that @Sidheshooter linked to for turning a flash mob, but I don’t think OC is going to work well for a stampeding crowd.

Perhaps a really loud whistle, like a policeman’s whistle? Something that will snap folks out of the trance brought on by panic?
    A buddy of mine that used to bar-back in SoCal nightclubs used a pretty clever trick to get large (non-panicked) crowds to clear a path for him. He'd shout, "HOT COFFEE!" at the top of his lungs. Nobody wants to get burned by hot coffee.

User Tag List