Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Danger of Panicked Masses of Humans

Site Supporter

The Danger of Panicked Masses of Humans

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. K - Men in Black

https://www.ksat.com/news/police-say...-at-la-cantera

Police say there's no active shooter at La Cantera
    Loud noise caused by fireworks, police say

So last night in my city there was a false report of an active shooter at a local high end open air mall, apparently initiated by the sound of fireworks at the amusement park next door. The situation was aggravated by a mall staffer getting on the PA and making an unfounded announcement that there was an active shooter.

The response was hundreds, if not thousands of people going into full panic and stampeding. While there was no actual threat, several people were injured by the stampede of humanity.

What are your thoughts on the best course(s) of action if caught up in such a situation ?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

What are your thoughts on the best course(s) of action if caught up in such a situation ?
    I’ll take the good Colonel Boyd’s advice and get me some cover/ concealmeant out of a main route of travel, but not boxed in somewhere so I can figure out wtf is going on before I make my next move.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 09-29-2019 at 05:53 PM.

Keep my eyes open and to quote Sam from "Ronin", " I never walk into a place I don't know how to walk out of."

Even as I kid, I loved finding back doors, unused exits, disregarded stairways, infrequently used halls, and ways out that most people don't.
    This is useful even in non-emergency situations for getting around.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    The masses are going to go to the exits they are used to. Don't be the masses. Duck into a store, look for the fire/delivery exit and go out the back.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I was there about a hour before this happened, like stated above I’ve always noticed the “staff only” marked doors in the stores I’ve been to. Matter of fact that evening I had to pick up from the delivery area at one. We were planning to eat dinner there, good thing we decided to try out a newish Italian place close to home, we would have been in the middle of this fiasco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

The PA announcement fits into the current ALiCE protocols. Whether or not the situation called for it I can’t comment on, but the thought process is to allow as many people to self-evacuate as possible.

I was fully expecting find a spot and set an ambush.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I’ll take the good Colonel Boyd’s advice and get me some cover/ concealmeant out of a main route of travel, but not boxed in somewhere so I can figure out wtf is going on before I make my next move.
    That's always been my main strategy.

In summer 2017 (shortly after all those truck attacks over there) my wife and I were in the British Museum in London when a bomb scare in the back alley caused an evacuation. At first it was slow, and voluntary. It wasn’t clear why we were being forced out but everyone was lazily exciting as if it were just closing time. As people got bunched up in the main entrance, we tried to hang back and stay out of the crowd. Eventually, the security/staff got a lot more serious and forced us toward the exit. At that point, people were getting clued in on why was going on but rather than speeding things up that just caused everyone to pack tighter.

We were very hesitant to go straight out because the outside was a courtyard with a few vehicles inside a big wall/fence before getting out to the road where we could disperse. Lots of people were making it out there then just milling around and not leaving. Needless to say we did NOT want to end up in the courtyard. It would have been the perfect place to detonate something.

We did our best to stay together, against an outer edge, and staff was getting anxious so thankfully they opened up a side door and we were able to bypass A bunch of the crowd and make it outside. We still ended up in the courtyard, but hightailed it along one edge and got out. Once we got a couple blocks away we stopped and at that point my poor wife broke down for a minute (it was the end kf our first day in town after an overnight flight so we were pretty tired, which didn’t help). Thankfully the rest of our trip was a lot less eventful.

All that to say, if you can’t recognize the problem quick enough to be ahead of the crowd, I say stay back, to the side, or on the fringes. It gives you options and degrees of freedom. You may have to go with the crowd, but keeping anchored on obstacles can help keep from getting swept up in the frenzy.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

I don't have much insight to offer on this, except for seeing the aftermath of the stampedes. Prepare to see shoes, lots and lots of shoes.

User Tag List