Thread: Successful Day At The Range With S&W 617s And Walther Gold Cup Trophy

Successful Day At The Range With S&W 617s And Walther Gold Cup Trophy

I'm a tinkerer.

None of my guns seem to stay stock very long, whether it's a sight replacement, springs or an all out trigger job.

I've been working on my pair of S&W 617s, getting them ready for Steel Challenge Matches and did all the internal polishing, I also replaced the rebound spring with 11 pounders which my finger can handle at the fastest speeds. Both my 4 and 6 inch guns required 8.5 pound Double Action trigger pulls to get me 100% ignition with CCI Mini Mags. Not bad but I knew I could do better.

My 6 inch is equiped with an Apex Tactical Mass Drive Hammer and Apex advertises you can get a 6.5 pound DA pull. Today I tested it at 7 pounds with 100% functioning. I may try for 6.5 after the State Championship in three weeks.

My 4 inch has stock parts that have just been smoothed. I had to go up to 8.5 - 9 pounds for reliable ignition with CCIs. Today I got away with 7.5 pounds. All I did was play with the strain screw a little, along with polishing all the internal parts and using an 11 pound rebound spring.

The biggest difference was the ammo. I tested with Remington Bucket Of Bullets. You know, the Golden Bullets that don't have a great reputation. Anyway in my two guns they shot very well and all went off on the first strike. I'm planning on using them for the State.

Name:  4 inch with blue c-more.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  37.2 KBName:  6 inch black c-more left.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  20.6 KB

I also had great luck with my Walther (Colt Gold Cup Trophy 1911-22). It's been giving me fits for the past few months having hammer fall no matter how much I adjust the springs. I did the YouTube search to find answers but finally came across a solution in the Brownell's Catalogue. They have an EGW LONG SEAR which is designed for the differences in 1911-22 pin dimensions on various guns.

Just changing the sear gave me the reliability I've been searching for.

I fired 100 rounds without one incident today.

Name:  Gold Cup.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  17.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by AzShooter View Post
    I'm a tinkerer.

...came across a solution in the Brownell's Catalogue. They have an EGW LONG SEAR which is designed for the differences in 1911-22 pin dimensions on various guns.

Just changing the sear gave me the reliability I've been searching for.

I fired 100 rounds without one incident today.

Name:  Gold Cup.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  17.4 KB
    This?

User Tag List