Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: L'Shana Tova

I’m learning the beliefs and traditions of my partner and her three sons, it has been an enlightening and enriching experience. L’Shanah Tovah.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

L'Shana Tova!

Sometimes, I feel like I missed out by not being Jewish.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 09-30-2019 at 12:04 AM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

My grandfather would have said, “Oy vey, another year.”
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

L'Shana Tova! May this year bring you and yours peace, prosperity and good health.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

A good New Year to all!

Edited to add: My iPad calendar had told me that Monday would be Rosh Hashanah, but, as I often do, I forgot to calculate that actually meant a Sunday evening start.
    Last edited by Rex G; 09-30-2019 at 06:06 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I like positive threads
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    I've never had Batampte products, to my knowledge. Will have to look 'em up.

My wife has done quite a few fresh horseradish recipes over the past couple decades. It often is much nicer than prepared versions. 8

Have never had P'tcha, either. What recipe do you like for it?
    I've never tried to make horseradish.... I probably should give it a go. With Batampte red unavailable in my AO I've had to settle for Boar's Head, which is way too vinegary for me.

I follow this P'tcha recipe, mostly. I leave out the carrots completely, and just before pouring the stock into the final serving dish to cool, I add a bunch of FRESH chopped dill. Boiled eggs are optional for me, I leave them out unless I know mom will be sharing. She likes the eggs. Fresh garlic is also key. And instead of mincing garlic, I press it with this.

Also.... this recipe suggests using a blender to chop some of the solids. DON'T! . If you're doing it right, the cooked meat/tendon is very rich with collagen and 1. Can turn white and unattractive in a blender and 2. Get so viscous it can strip the gears on a cheap blender (DAMHIK ). Be careful to look for tiny bone shards (from cutting the feet) when you pick the meat. Chomping on one of those isn't fun.

If you do a good job skimming the fat while cooking, the calorie count on some meat, cartilage, tendon and aspic is low. Once it's chilled (overnight), you can skim the remaining fat from the top of the chilled dish. If you screw it up with too much water, you can put it back in the pot and boil it down some more, then re-chill. If you have the eggs in there and try to do that, it gets messy (pick the eggs out before reducing), but still tastes good.

A totally inappropriate but delicious spin is to add some chopped bacon.

Name:  P'tcha.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  79.8 KB

Name:  P'tcha Slice.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  49.4 KB
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    My step grandfather made a hell of a horseradish. My grandmother made awesome rugelach on holidays. Surprisingly, Whole Foods here carries a decent one. NOT the vegan - that's awful.

My partner made noodle kugel for a client before she flew in Saturday, and an extra for the extended family’s dinner tonight. (She’s a baker, but she and her late husband had a restaurant so she still does a little non-cake catering for old customers.) Do you think she could have brought me some? Noooooo...
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    My step grandfather made a hell of a horseradish.
    If you'd like to share a recipe, I'd appreciate it...

I like mine to be strong, but not quite as strong as, say, straight wasabi.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List