Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vancouver BC RFI

Good ideas so far, keep em coming. I don't care anything about a big city but my wife would enjoy some of the ideas mentioned so we will probably end up in Stanley Park and Granville Island. The aquarium and whale show are up my alley though. Happy wife- happy life. whats the weather like that time of year?

I bet the views from the skylift on Grouse Mountain are unbelievable, but I don't like to get more than deer stand height, not sure I could do it. The breakfast with the bears looks cool.

I am looking into renting a Harley and taking a ride through the Rockies, has anyone done that? or at least rented a car an explored areas outside the city?

Budget and time are very flexible, might as well do it while we are there.

If you rent a car, there are many things to check out - a quick run up to Squamish and/or Whistler, or take the ferry from North Van over to Nanaimo and check out Cathedral Grove on Vancouver Island.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BJXDS View Post
    Good ideas so far, keep em coming. I don't care anything about a big city but my wife would enjoy some of the ideas mentioned so we will probably end up in Stanley Park and Granville Island. The aquarium and whale show are up my alley though. Happy wife- happy life. whats the weather like that time of year?

I bet the views from the skylift on Grouse Mountain are unbelievable, but I don't like to get more than deer stand height, not sure I could do it. The breakfast with the bears looks cool.

I am looking into renting a Harley and taking a ride through the Rockies, has anyone done that? or at least rented a car an explored areas outside the city?

Budget and time are very flexible, might as well do it while we are there.
    I have never rented a bike from there but I can tell you anything you want to know about the roads out of there...if you want a motorcycle day trip, take a weekday and run up the Fraser Canyon from Hope to Lillooet, then come back down the Sea to Sky from Lillooet through Whistler to Vancouver. That's a full day's ride and really nice.

Or if you don't mind crossing back into the US there are runs from Vancouver down to Mt St Helens that are pretty spectacular also...the Rockies are a bit far to make round trip in three days but it depends on your tolerance for days in the saddle. I have made it from Edmonton to Vancouver in 11 hours but that's not a fun vacation pace, that's for sure.

Whatever you do, if you are heading out of town by road, avoid peak commuter times; traffic is terrible.

Depending on your interests, the Grouse Grind is a pretty classic Vancouver hike, as are the three summits at Mt Seymour.

I reccomend the patio at Black and Blue downtown, Kraft in Olympic Village for a mindblowing selection of beers and Fet's on Commercial drive for a huge selection of whiskeys. If for some reason you want to spot actors like Jason Momoa or something, the Yaletown Brewery usually has some random A-lister staying there. If you're over that way anyway check out Rodney's for oysters.

If you take the Skytrain line that runs through Yaletown and out towards Richmond, try to picture a freezing cold, soaking wet version of me from about twelve years ago, labouring in the tunnel ten or twelve hours a day, like a history exhibit about 1900. That's what it makes me think of, anyway.

Anyway I lived there from 2005 to 2018 so if you have questions, fire away. I will probably know lots of the answers.

Quote Originally Posted by BJXDS View Post
    . whats the weather like that time of year?

My wife and I would go to Vancouver in early May for our anniversary for years and there was never too crappy a situation. A bit of light rain, lots of overcast, and temps tended to be mid 70's - mid 80's (at the worst). Lows never got down to less than a hoodie or light sweater level.

I remember one year that the rain was just a bit annoying as we were at the Aquarium and Stanley Park walking around. But it was more a continuous drizzle than lots of rain.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I would say TYPICAL May weather is pretty nice - usually temperatures in what I believe you would call the 70s and either sun or light rains as described above. Many years we'd be at the beach by Victoria Day.

But it's also the coast so you can't predict it with much accuracy.

Site Supporter
    If you are near the University - https://moa.ubc.ca/ The Anthropology Museum

User Tag List