Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Walther Underrated?

Walther Underrated?

Recently, I listened to the Primary & Secondary podcast on Walther Arms. This is a 3 hr. monstrosity where a couple of reps from Walther go over the company history and why Walther should be taken quite seriously by those who are serious about their weapons as functional tools. See below for Youtube video of the interview in it's entirety.

Now, for those who can't/won't listen to that much material, I will offer some things that stood out to me from the Podcast.

- Walther also was first to make !” wide single stack 9mm/.40 pistol
    - Walther’s machining is second to none, inspecting my personal example PPS M2 I can’t really disagree.
    - Walther’s biggest stumbling block it seems would be a lack of disclosed LE/MIL adoptions
    - German proof house standards and testing are EXTREMELY stringent, compared to American requirements.
    - Walther backs their products 100% and boast extremely fast turnaround times and pays shipping both ways (I can attest to this fact, simply stunning turnaround and service).
    - Walther employs many skilled artisans crafting high end wooden stocks which they draw upon to improve pistol ergonomics

Also, there is another Podcast on P&S from the collaboration w/ InrangeTV, here is a short clip of some of the data they collected from their recent outing in the desert. They had all the people present shoot a timed drill with all 28 pistols that were available, of which there was a half dozen Walther models. The average times came in with Walther pistols occupying 2nd & 3rd positions with three pistols in the top 10. I find that to be somewhat telling, though hardly definitive.

Attachment 42916

I believe at this point if I had to recommend a Striker Fired Pistol Walther would be my first choice, but unfortunately they don't offer DA/SA pistols which makes them less desirable to me personally.

Walther claims their pistols are incredibly robust and boast extreme longevity along with innovative design, features and ergonomics. So what are your thoughts and experiences with Walther firearms?

Site Supporter
    My "small" carry gun is a P99C in 9x19. It has a Cajun appetite - it'll eat anything. It has about a thousand rounds through it, mostly FMJ but also about a hundred rounds of 124-grain +P HST. I've done a full-day class at KR Training with it, went through 3-400 rounds. It has yet to bobble. The only thing I've switched out is the sights - machined steel rear and a 10-8 FO front. I shoot it as well as my full-size PX4s, which isn't surprising since the sight radius is almost exactly the same. I could happily use this as my only carry gun.

If I were a short-trigger SF guy, the only thing that would keep me from the PPQ over an M&P is the availability of a thumb safety.

I think that when one hears a podcast that is all about how awesome a sponser’s product is, one should be highly skeptical. This even applies when the source is highly respectable.

That being said, I do think Walther is under-rated. The examples that I have seen in our shooting group have all held up well.

I have zero interest in polymer striker fired pistols anymore, so I doubt I’ll ever own one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love my PPSM2/RMSc. The best little gun I’ve owned and I’ve owned quite a few and shot a bunch more. Especially for the money. Had a Q5 and sold it. In hindsight I should have just bought a Q4. Ive never shot 5” striker fired pistols from any company well. May get a Q4 one day.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

The fact that versions of the Walther PPQ were both places 2 & 3 and tied at 18/19 makes me think there were a lot of factors in this test we're not seeing in this abbreviated video. I'll be really interested to watch further videos in that series.

I don't mean that as a criticism of Walthers, just that watching a video - even one from experts - isn't going to cause me to blanket recommend any particular pistol until I've got some degree of experience with it.

That said... I think the PPQs are very "shootable" guns. The P99 had some really neat features ahead of its time. The PPS is a great little single stack (although I still like the M1 version better). Their quality guns are just that. Quality. PPKs are still overrated stinkers of Bond nostalgia and the CCP/PK380 are sketchy cheap guns. Walther is trying hard to better market their good products to the serious use and competition crowds. Good for them.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

I had very good experience with a Walter PPQ M1 and would recommend it (or carry one) without hesitation. It had the best out-of-the-box striker fired trigger I've ever encountered (maybe even a touch too sporty for my taste). I also found the PPQ exhibited a touch more flip in recoil than its competitors. I don't think it is materially better than the HK VP9 (which I found very similar in handling characteristics, to the point of even being able to share holsters) or a GEN5 Glock, but it certainly merits consideration.

And Bond's upgrade from a PPK to a PPQ is long overdue.

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    The fact that versions of the Walther PPQ were both places 2 & 3 and tied at 18/19 makes me think there were a lot of factors in this test we're not seeing in this abbreviated video. I'll be really interested to watch further videos in that series.

I don't mean that as a criticism of Walthers, just that watching a video - even one from experts - isn't going to cause me to blanket recommend any particular pistol until I've got some degree of experience with it.
    I don’t know what this video’s purpose is. The data is basically useless because you have shooters of vastly different skill level and varying degrees of familirity with the pistols. So you can’t use this to determine what is best for new shooters, nor can you tell what is best ised by the professionals (since they’ll do best with their most familiar pistol). It’s far from “scientific” as it lacks any control, among other things. It’s “data” but it isn’t good data. It, like the battle rifle videos before it, and mud tests, etc, are just entertainment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I no longer own a PPQ because of incompatibility with Freedom Munitions Re-manufactured ammo and the customer service statements regarding the same....
    Yes, I know every manual written for every new firearms says no reloads. However, Freedom advertises their ammo is SAMMI spec.loaded.

The "Real" problem is that Walther has chosen to use the 116 year old Luger patent chamber the includes a step to seal the tapered cartridge (Originally intended so 1908 Lugers could shoot cheap steel case ammo!). HK and Walther use this chamber, but the FM ammo worked in a friend's PF9 but not in the PPQ!
    There verbal response was that is is sub-standard ammunition.

My attitude is that if a carry gun does not digest just about anything, it should be replaced! The Glocks ate this stuff like candy, Springfield 1911 no problem. Keltec PF9 good to go! Everything I own but not the Walther, so it went.....

I think that Walther pistols are underrated by most people that do not own a Walther pistol. However, I also think they are overrated by most people that do own Walther pistols.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Gunner View Post
    I no longer own a PPQ because of incompatibility with Freedom Munitions Re-manufactured ammo and the customer service statements regarding the same....
    Yes, I know every manual written for every new firearms says no reloads. However, Freedom advertises their ammo is SAMMI spec.loaded.

The "Real" problem is that Walther has chosen to use the 116 year old Luger patent chamber the includes a step to seal the tapered cartridge (Originally intended so 1908 Lugers could shoot cheap steel case ammo!). HK and Walther use this chamber, but the FM ammo worked in a friend's PF9 but not in the PPQ!
    There verbal response was that is is sub-standard ammunition.

My attitude is that if a carry gun does not digest just about anything, it should be replaced! The Glocks ate this stuff like candy, Springfield 1911 no problem. Keltec PF9 good to go! Everything I own but not the Walther, so it went.....
    Freedom is a known “substandard” product.

User Tag List