Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Walther Underrated?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I haven't followed m&p for awhile but a few years ago, I heard arguments that the accuracy issues were a reason to avoid the 9mm versions. Is that still an issue?
    That's no longer an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I love the P99/PPQ frame, it fits my hand perfectly the lever mag release, love it, size and shape of the backstrap? Amazing. Love that the AS decocks. BUT...I can't shoot the thing worth a damn, because of the retarded trigger mechanism. And decock it with one hand? In what universe do I have a shooting hand thumb that can contort over and push down on that decocker with enough force to activate it? Not this one. I have to do it with the off hand. Guns that cannot be run to their full functional abilities with one hand are a non-starter for me. The PPQ/PPS/QA trigger guns are also all non-starters, due to the too-light triggers and easily dropped strikers.

Like I said, love the way the Walther feels and it shoots great with a PPQ-type trigger. But the AS is the gun to carry due to safety concerns.
    What was your specific issue with the trigger in shooting? I haven't shot one, but the SW99 I messed around with seemed straight forward. The AS trigger just seemed like DA light.

Also, your comment about the difficulty in decocking is interesting. If in SA mode the trigger is the same as the Walther PPQ. The consensus is that those are safe to carry in Condition Zero. If you were forced to holster a Walther P99AS in SA mode, is that a problem? Why is decocking strictly necessary? This is perhaps a broader discussion.

I've also found that the PPQ's trigger isn't very consistent. It doesn't take long at all for it to develop a good amount of grit, and no matter what, the grit would always come back.

The trigger guard was also annoying. It may be great if you are in sub-arctic conditions and wearing winter gloves, but it has the side effect of pushing out a WML too far, to the point i had to alter my grip just so i could use my TLR-1 with my weak hand. Safariland doesn't make an ALS holster for the PPQ w/ WML last i checked, which doesn't exactly help

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    - Walther employs many skilled artisans crafting high end wooden stocks which they draw upon to improve pistol ergonomics
    This makes me laugh. It sounds like they have magic Teutonic elves in a secret workshop somewhere in Black Forest.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    This makes me laugh. It sounds like they have magic Teutonic elves in a secret workshop somewhere in Black Forest.
    You don't know about the Black Forest Elves?

They've been around for quite some time. They used to work for SIG, but quit them sometime in the mid 1990's

cc

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I haven't followed m&p for awhile but a few years ago, I heard arguments that the accuracy issues were a reason to avoid the 9mm versions. Is that still an issue?
    I have seen some say yes, and I am not a skilled enough shooter to dispute genuine subject matter experts. That said, whether it's the grip angle or me just getting lucky, I shoot both my M2.0 4.5 and M2.0 9mm compact more accurately than my Gen 4 Glocks by a significant margin. I'm not sure how I shoot them compared to a Gen 5 Glock as I haven't spent serious time behind the Gen 5 trigger.

For my purposes, they are above-average accurate for my skill level and experience and certainly more than accurate enough for 10, 15, and 25 yard shooting.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

User Tag List