Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Teach me about cowboy boots.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    This.

My Luchese's feel like slippers.
    My son and I just went and looked at boots at the end of summer before He left for school. Id say we were there over an hour and he tried on almost every brand and walked around in them. His top choice was Luchese’s. They were the higher end of the price range in that store but buy once cry once. I’m not however going to explain to him the concept of two is one and one is none. At least until he graduates and gets a job. 😂
    Last edited by UNK; 09-29-2019 at 08:52 PM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    I have some full quill Lucchese western dress boots that are very comfortable and show very well. Definitely consider full quill if you want a breathable hide option. Since we moved way out of town I haven’t put them on once. I have some steel toe rubber sole Ariat’s that were my job site boots and now I wear them everywhere. Slip them on run errands, cut firewood, run the weed eater, then wipe me off and go to church. Since I spend zero time in a saddle, I am very glad that square toes and dampened rubber soles are available.

Like all footwear different people fit some brands better than others, so find some place to try before you buy.

Lots of solid advice in this thread. I've been wearing cowboy/western boots since the beginning of the 90s. I have two pair: one pair of Dan Post standard leather boots which are now 26 years old and are on their last legs. They don't owe me a damn thing. Also have a fairly new pair of Lucchese square toe boots in ostrich. Love them both. Buy good boots and take care of them and you're set for some time to come.

$200-$250 is a good jump off point, price wise, to actually get what you're paying for. Avoid any "blinged out" or overly ornate looking boots, as they tend to be window dressing for the fact the boots are cheaply made. Exotic skin boots (lizard, snake, etc) *look* nice but they demand more maintenance and are not as durable as hide boots (cow, goat, elk, ostrich).

Definitely find a place that specializes in boots. They will know how to get you fit up properly.

Best of luck in your hunt!
    Last edited by Mntneer357; 09-30-2019 at 08:02 AM.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Site Supporter
    I buy my boots a half size big, and swap the (usually flimsy) insoles for gel insoles.
    Unless they are designed with good insoles.

Ariat Duratread outsoles with ATS insoles are "belt-and-suspenders" comfortable for $160.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Oils and Lotions SME
    My boots are typically in the $450 range, 10 years ago. I quit trying to live with any of the mass manufactured stuff and have been wearing boots from the Stewart Boot Company for the last 25 years. I have 2 pairs that are older than my daughter who is a Jr in college.

Those two pairs have been resoled/reheeled at least 5 times each. I have worn boots to Walt Disney World because they are that comfortable.

http://www.theazweekend.com/stewart-boot-company/
    Hokey religions and ancient lubricants are no match for a good Group IV PAO

Owner 360 Performance Shooting

Site Supporter
    Now that we've discussed the whats and hows of cowboy boots, I'm going to ask why...

Why do you like cowboy boots?

I live on the East Coast. Horses and cowboy culture are not something I grew up with (though I have had a couple pair of cowboy boots in my lifetime, I'm certain they were not "good" boots). Cowboy boots don't make sense to me because of the slick sole and inability to adjust the fit with laces. It doesn't help that I have bad feet (high rigid arches as a kid that have started to collapse as I get older, plantar fascitis, and overpronation).

I like the look of nice boots, but don't understand why people prefer them to "normal" boots.

If I'm wearing boots of any kind, it's because I need good support up through my ankles, good traction, and possibly insulation against cold. I don't see any of that in cowboy boots.

So, what am I missing?

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Now that we've discussed the whats and hows of cowboy boots, I'm going to ask why...

Why do you like cowboy boots?

I live on the East Coast. Horses and cowboy culture are not something I grew up with (though I have had a couple pair of cowboy boots in my lifetime, I'm certain they were not "good" boots). Cowboy boots don't make sense to me because of the slick sole and inability to adjust the fit with laces. It doesn't help that I have bad feet (high rigid arches as a kid that have started to collapse as I get older, plantar fascitis, and overpronation).

I like the look of nice boots, but don't understand why people prefer them to "normal" boots.

If I'm wearing boots of any kind, it's because I need good support up through my ankles, good traction, and possibly insulation against cold. I don't see any of that in cowboy boots.

So, what am I missing?

Chris
    Not to mention the considerable “drop” between heel and toe, which leads to postural problems.

I am interested in boots because they would drive my Euro customers batshit.

How should boots fit when you first get them? I understand there’s a break in period. I have short toes and a foot that is atypically squared off; I sometimes buy wide shoes to address this, sometimes go a half size up.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I haven't ridden a horse in years now but the boots are comfortable, they look cool, and I can put them on while drunk or extremely hung over.

User Tag List