Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Teach me about cowboy boots.

Teach me about cowboy boots.

I know some of you guys are some cowboy boot wearing sons-a-bitches. I want a pair, how much should I be looking to spend on a decent pair. I dont need top of the line but I want them to last. I think I like the squared toe rather than the more pointed. Teach me..

Site Supporter
    How much do you want to spend? Cowboy boots can get ridiculous expensive but they can be resoled so you can wear them for a long time. Currently I have a pair of elephant skin Justin’s my father bought in the eighties. He never wore them much but I wear them fairly often. I also have a pair of lizard skin tony lama boots that my wife is still complaining how much they cost. The last time I was in Texas I asked the locals wear they get boots and I was directed to ML Leddy for custom boots. I didn’t get a pair but I wish I had. If I was looking for for square toe I would start with HH boots. If I wanted more expensive boots I would look at lucchese boots. I bought the tony Lana’s on sale from sheplers

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Well I'm not any sort of expert but I wear Ariat heritage Roughriders which have a square toe and which I absolutely love.

I think I paid $275 CAD for them around seven or eight years ago.

Some of the more unusual, fancy or exotic skins may not last as long. I had a couple pair of Rios of Mercedes given to me by different people, one was ostrich the other calf skin. Both were super comfortable, but I wore the leather on the lower sides out. I have a pair of Hondos now, all basic cowhide, they were mostly dress or go to town boots, then Ive worn them more the past few years, Ive had them 13 or so years, resoled twice i think, and heel pads when needed. They required good impact insoles to be at their best comfort level.

Mine have the undercut heel and spur ledge. I didnt think I needed a spur ledge, but it does help get them off with the other foot.

Im not much help on the toes, mine have all been semi-pointy round.
    Last edited by Malamute; 09-29-2019 at 02:03 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

I have been wearing boots since the mid-90s. My advice is to buy an American-made boot that can be resoled as good boots can be rebuilt many times. My last boot purchase was more than a decade ago, and I still wear every pair I have ever bought.

I am partial to boots made from full-quill ostrich, shark, and elephant. My favorite brands are Tony Lama and Lucchese. Tony Lama operates outlet stores in El Paso, and they ship. The outlet stores offer considerable savings, Once you know your size for a manufacturer, you can buy online. Elephant and sharkskin are very abrasion resistant while ostrich is more supple.

Back in the day I wore Acme round toes and Tony Lamas. I forgot my hiking boots one deer hunt so I had to wear the Acmes during the hunt. I wore wool socks over cotton and got no blisters during two days of hunting in the Dragoon Mtns The rocks were tough on the leather. I was real careful hiking so I never fell despite the slick soles. I still have a pair of Tony Lamas in the closet.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Thanks guys his is awesome. I figured 250-300 is what I might be in for. I assume any less than 250 and your getting into the "cheap shit" category as far as cowboy boots go. I'm very aware they can get pricey. Like I said I'm not looking to spend allot on something exotic. Just want a sturdy boot that will last and can be rebuilt. I'll look into some of the companies you guys have suggested.

Site Supporter
    It was explained to me companies use different lasts and so fit can very greatly between brands. I find Tony Lama and Lucchese fit me well, maybe because they are a little narrow? Dan Post and Justins not so much - they go from I can't get my foot in the boot to it feels two sizes too large in half a size. I prefer a snipped or rounded toe. They also take time to break in.

Ariats are made in china, but have construction more like a hiking boot. Many find this to be much more comfortable.

Locally Allen's boots, Sheplers and Cavenders are where I've shopped. Im pretty sure they all are online as well.

First, if you’re cool with a newer brand, look at Tecovas. They seem solid for the price, and have clean, classic, simple designs. My girlfriend loves hers.

That said, I don’t own any. When I tried on boots, I hated the feel of the sticky leather against my bare calves. Is it typical to wear super high socks with cowboy boots, or do most folks just not mind that sticky leather feeling?

Quote Originally Posted by CalAlumnus View Post
    First, if you’re cool with a newer brand, look at Tecovas. They seem solid for the price, and have clean, classic, simple designs. My girlfriend loves hers.

That said, I don’t own any. When I tried on boots, I hated the feel of the sticky leather against my bare calves. Is it typical to wear super high socks with cowboy boots, or do most folks just not mind that sticky leather feeling?
    I wore high socks (for high morale) until the leather broke in then I could wear whatever socks I liked.

User Tag List