Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Teach me about cowboy boots.

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    I haven't ridden a horse in years now but the boots are comfortable, they look cool, and I can put them on while drunk or extremely hung over.

^^^ Something like this. They are much easier to put on and take off with back and shoulder issues than lace up loggers. They seem appropriate for higher level social engagements, most western Governors and often their First Ladies wear them for State events, as I believe have one or two Presidents.
    Last edited by Malamute; 09-30-2019 at 11:13 AM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Now that we've discussed the whats and hows of cowboy boots, I'm going to ask why...

Why do you like cowboy boots?

I live on the East Coast. Horses and cowboy culture are not something I grew up with (though I have had a couple pair of cowboy boots in my lifetime, I'm certain they were not "good" boots). Cowboy boots don't make sense to me because of the slick sole and inability to adjust the fit with laces. It doesn't help that I have bad feet (high rigid arches as a kid that have started to collapse as I get older, plantar fascitis, and overpronation).

I like the look of nice boots, but don't understand why people prefer them to "normal" boots.

If I'm wearing boots of any kind, it's because I need good support up through my ankles, good traction, and possibly insulation against cold. I don't see any of that in cowboy boots.

So, what am I missing?

Chris
    Full disclosure: I have *no* idea how to ride a horse and I'm East Coast born and bred. I do, however, live about 98% of my life in either boots (cowboy or hiking) or flip-flops (a Southern thing - don't hate).

I've spent the overwhelming majority of my life in the South. Boots are utilitarian and have style. Boots look an order of magnitude better than white gym shoes most Yankees seem to have 67 pairs of. I can wear cowboy boots to work with slacks & a polo. Outside work, I can wear boots with jeans and a shirt. Boots will work at an upscale restaurant or at a dive bar with friends. I do consider myself somewhat of an "educated good old boy" and boots are definitely part of country culture, no matter if you're from SC, upstate NY, or Wyoming. If you're worried about cold, warm socks are the easy button answer. As another poster stated, they are easy on-easy off. Slick soles are easy to get mud and shit off of too.

Cowboy/western boots aren't a "one size fits all" solution to footwear. Either you like them or you don't. Either way is fine. It's just what works for me...

There are various sole options as well. Non-leather soles come in a minimalist Vibram traction pattern and some makers have different traction versions. Not as good as deep lug soles or more aggressive types, but much better than the smooth flat ones.

For some reason, wearing any shoes that dont at least cover my ankles well give me the heebee-geebies to wear. It may be experience with the multitude of stickers, burrs, cactus, yuccas, biting critters, snakes, rocks and such. Around the house is about the only place ill wear tennies or anything that doesnt give ankle protection or support. Pull on boots are really handy in that sense.
    Last edited by Malamute; 09-30-2019 at 11:49 AM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

I'm a cowboy boot guy, even though it's unusual for where I live. They're comfy, easy on, easy off. They're stylish, and they make me look taller

I get by with three. One brown leather (from the late 90's), one black leather, and a fancy ostrich one. I can do most things in those, except for when I think a pair of Bally's suit the occasion. I also like boots that are slim enough to fit under regular jean pant legs, as I don't want a separate set of jeans just to wear boots in

1st choice: Lucchese

2nd choice: Lucchese

3rd choice: Lucchese

Try the Lucchese Outlet store in El Paso, TX

And if you are in El Paso, stop by the Tony Llama Outlet and one of the Justin Outlet stores. (Diversity, ya know!)

Fifth generation Texan checking in. I am a regular wearer of cowboy boots and have been since I have been wearing shoes. Boots are a very personal choice, but Tecovas are a great bang for the buck. Great construction, excellent materials and outstanding customer service. They are up there with much more expensive options (off the rack, not custom). FWIW, my personal preference is a roper heel to a riding heel for a comfort, as well fashion factor.

Are Nocona boots not still a "thing"?

It's been a long time since I wore boots. My wife has "helped" me choose my attire these past 31 years LOL.

But back in my horsing around days and living on a farm up in Missouri, I liked my Nocona boots. They were affordable and saved me from injury several times working with horses and cattle.

I still have some store posters from '77-'78 and those alone were enough to sell me on Noconas... almost anyway.

Attachment 43117

Site Supporter
    I confess this thread has me considering a black pair of boots. I bought a pair when I lived in Mexico in the summer of 85 and I got 20 good years out of them.

For all you in the know-Can I wear a pair of black ropers with a jacket and tie? How about a full on suit?

I have been doing a bit of research and have discovered that:

1. Justin, Tony Lamas and Nocona are all Berkshire Hathaway Companies and have been for quite some time.

2. Sierra Trading Post has a number of Luccheses at 25ish to 50% off. They state they are US Made.

https://www.sierra.com/mens-boots~d~...chese~b~10032/

3. Tecova makes their boots in Mexico in a factory that has manufactured for many other famous boot makers.

https://www.businessinsider.com/teco...nd-painting-17
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 09-30-2019 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    I confess this thread has me considering a black pair of boots. I bought a pair when I lived in Mexico in the summer of 85 and I got 20 good years out of them.

For all you in the know-Can I wear a pair of black ropers with a jacket and tie? How about a full on suit?
    Absolutely. I mentioned above that many western state Governors wear boots at formal gatherings, as do some of the First Ladies, and I think at least one if not more US Presidents have worn boots on formal occasions.
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Get some Dingo boots...I kid

I have a pair of Larry Mahan- 1981 graduation present, still going strong

Justin Wildebeest Ropers - bought in 1990, still going strong after 3 re-soles

Justin Ranch Ropers - 2006

All still in good working order, that main thing for me, as others have said, you need to try them on in a store that knows how they should fit.
    Last edited by Redhat; 09-30-2019 at 05:39 PM.

User Tag List