Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Teach me about cowboy boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    I've had a pair of Tony Lama's for 13 years. Still going strong but I only wear them at church, "dressy" events, and occasionally at work if I know I'll be at the shop all day. My wife's from TX, she's assured me that boots and good jeans (not my beat up work jeans) are suitable for all formal occasions. Which is good, because that's about as dressed up as I care to get.
    I had a pair of Tony Llamas I wore almost daily for 15 years, until I took them in for something like their fifth new soles/heels and the man told me they seems were too worn to hold it again.

I don't think they make that style any longer. The style is the only thing I miss about wearing western boots for any purpose but horseback riding. Possibly I'm too heavy nowadays to wear them comfortably.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    True western boots have 14” tops with an undercut heel.

They are designed for horseback riding, and excel in that role.

For anything else, they are essentially masculine high heels. They look good, make you taller, and suck to walk in.

I have one pair of Justins in my closet that get worn maybe once per year.

The rest of the time, it’s tennis shoes, sandals, Wellington work boots, and occasionally lace-up hiking boots.

Ive found I like them for riding my motorcycle better than my Hathorn Smoke Jumpers. Probably not as much protection, but more comfortable on and off the pegs and operating the brake and shifter, and not hanging up on stuff like the vibram lug soles nor the thick heavy feel of the Hathorns. Otherwise, they are primarily for civilized endeavors for me. Looking civilized is a thing apparently.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

I don’t understand the appeal myself, outside their intended purpose. And yet after reading this thread, I want a pair. This forum is expensive.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Ive found I like them for riding my motorcycle better than my Hathorn Smoke Jumpers. Probably not as much protection, but more comfortable on and off the pegs and operating the brake and shifter, and not hanging up on stuff like the vibram lug soles nor the thick heavy feel of the Hathorns. Otherwise, they are primarily for civilized endeavors for me. Looking civilized is a thing apparently.
    The only serious mar on my 20+ yo nubuk Ariats is from riding my motorcycle in them just once. The toe shifter was not kind to the sueded finish. I've also seen a few videos where cowboy boots spin off in an accident and provide little protection.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

They hurt your feet to walk any distance and they're expensive. The original design was to work in a saddle stirrup.

This is high fashion along the border in Mexico. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't have believed it. Truck driver was wearing a close facsimile.

In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    They hurt your feet to walk any distance and they're expensive. The original design was to work in a saddle stirrup.
    Ive found that good spenco insoles make mine much more comfortable for walking. Granted I dont walk far, but theyve been fine for the dog walks and such ive worn them on.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

This is high fashion along the border in Mexico. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't have believed it. Truck driver was wearing a close facsimile.

Something similar was the rage back in the 14th century.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

That’s nothin’.

Name:  6FBC356F-9086-4EAB-AB15-286653EBDF43.jpeg
Views: 383
Size:  78.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by omega9 View Post
    That’s nothin’.

Name:  6FBC356F-9086-4EAB-AB15-286653EBDF43.jpeg
Views: 383
Size:  78.8 KB

I've heard about snake boots but never really seen a pair until now.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

A little late to this post but what the heck. I wear boots most days, my latest pair were made by Dustin Lauw in Salado Texas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Tag List