Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Teach me about cowboy boots.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I've had a pair of Tony Lama's for 13 years. Still going strong but I only wear them at church, "dressy" events, and occasionally at work if I know I'll be at the shop all day. My wife's from TX, she's assured me that boots and good jeans (not my beat up work jeans) are suitable for all formal occasions. Which is good, because that's about as dressed up as I care to get.

I love my double h ice square toe boots. Made in America and I can wear all day. I normally never buy Asian manufactured boots, but gave Ariat a try. Waste of money compared to my Double H boots and sadly the joint has a no return policy. Tried a couple different pairs but nothing really worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name:  Hondo boots.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  39.2 KB
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Now that we've discussed the whats and hows of cowboy boots, I'm going to ask why...

Why do you like cowboy boots?

I live on the East Coast. Horses and cowboy culture are not something I grew up with (though I have had a couple pair of cowboy boots in my lifetime, I'm certain they were not "good" boots). Cowboy boots don't make sense to me because of the slick sole and inability to adjust the fit with laces. It doesn't help that I have bad feet (high rigid arches as a kid that have started to collapse as I get older, plantar fascitis, and overpronation).

I like the look of nice boots, but don't understand why people prefer them to "normal" boots.

If I'm wearing boots of any kind, it's because I need good support up through my ankles, good traction, and possibly insulation against cold. I don't see any of that in cowboy boots.

So, what am I missing?

Chris
    so for me I want something that will last me a long time and is able to be repaired when something gives. I shoot uspsa as well as outlaw matches so I do allot of running around in sand pits as well as hiking in the woods. I just want quality boots that will stand up to hard use, I also like the way cowboy boots look. I have shit kickers I use for that kind of work, these boots will be for everything else and most likely replace my regular shoes.

Site Supporter
    Now that we've discussed the whats and hows of cowboy boots, I'm going to ask why...

I live on the East Coast. Horses and cowboy culture are not something I grew up with (though I have had a couple pair of cowboy boots in my lifetime, I'm certain they were not "good" boots). Cowboy boots don't make sense to me because of the slick sole and inability to adjust the fit with laces. It doesn't help that I have bad feet (high rigid arches as a kid that have started to collapse as I get older, plantar fascitis, and overpronation).

I like the look of nice boots, but don't understand why people prefer them to "normal" boots.

If I'm wearing boots of any kind, it's because I need good support up through my ankles, good traction, and possibly insulation against cold. I don't see any of that in cowboy boots.

So, what am I missing?

Chris

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rWVgbTBlH9M

Mystique. Legend. Plus, I live a very short drive from Tombstone. I hike and hunt where the Earps and Clantons had their feud.

Even if I hardly ever ride a horse, I can’t really live here without owning at least one pair of boots and jeans and a revolver or ten.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    The most masculine way to wear high heels...

Being all citified these days, I wear Chelsea boots instead. Easy on/easy off, aesthetically pleasing, and comfortable. Dressier than athletic shoes as everyday wear.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I used to wear double H in my horse/cattle days, great boots. These days I have a pair of Justin cowboy boots that I wear when helping on the farm, they're waterproof and not bad to wear!

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the responses. It sounds like it's personal preference and not specifically performance, which is cool. I thought I may have been missing some trick...

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Find a good boot store and go there. You really dont know what fits you best till you try them on. Like someone else mentioned they are leather soled and slippery. If I was planning on getting them resoled then I would buy them from a company that offers resole in a reasonable amount of time. A sturdy leather boot will last a long time. Dont have any experience with the exotics. Also pay attention to the heel height. there is a style, roper or originally a wellington, that has a lower heel.
    You need to go try on a bunch. In addition to your foot size, uppers vary greatly. Tall, short, wide, narrow. I've tried some with uppers too tight to my calves to let me put the boot on, and I'm not a big guy.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

True western boots have 14” tops with an undercut heel.

They are designed for horseback riding, and excel in that role.

For anything else, they are essentially masculine high heels. They look good, make you taller, and suck to walk in.

I have one pair of Justins in my closet that get worn maybe once per year.

The rest of the time, it’s tennis shoes, sandals, Wellington work boots, and occasionally lace-up hiking boots.

User Tag List