Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 20” rifle upper on M4 lower?

20" Upper + A5H2 + Battlecomp = Soft & Flat Recoil
    Last edited by MistWolf; 09-30-2019 at 11:38 AM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

One of my favorite AR15 configurations!
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    Saw a pair of interesting ones yesterday - two M16A2's carried by E4's from an HHC element, both with the M4 buttstock conversion and the KAC rail system. One had an M68 CCO on a carry handle gooseneck, the other was on the A2 irons. No PEQ's or Surefires or anything on the rails, just added weight.

The most fasicinating part was the M68 CCO equipped example was a GM Hydramatic M16A1 receiver that had been rebuilt into an A2 at ANAD in 94 according to the mag well stamps. The gun was a total mutt - an Emco upper with an FNH barrel, too.
    I was tempted to ask the SPC to look at the BCG just to see if it was a mutt too, like the other GM Hydramatic A2 rebuild I encountered some 8-ish months ago doing an arms room inventory.

Wish I'd had a chance to get a picture. Weirdest rifle I've ever seen in active service.

Site Supporter
    <thread drift>

Way back in '88 I was the CO of an HHC. We had M16A1s that were apparently rebuilds; IIRC they were stamped XM15E1. We also had three M3 grease guns for the maintenance section's M578. I could never get ammo for them for qualification.

</thread drift>

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    <thread drift>

Way back in '88 I was the CO of an HHC. We had M16A1s that were apparently rebuilds; IIRC they were stamped XM15E1. We also had three M3 grease guns for the maintenance section's M578. I could never get ammo for them for qualification.

</thread drift>
    Such a rifle was most likely marked XM16E1, not XM15. Damn shame you couldn't get ammo for the M3! I've read that M3 grease guns held on in little nooks and crannies of the National Guard through the mid 90's.

Years ago as an E4, I found 5 grease gun magazines and an M14 magazine in an ancient box of mixed BII while doing a wall-to-wall inventory of some ancient conexes. I asked my SSG if I could keep even just one, sadly no - all had to go to DRMO.

Site Supporter
    @JRB - I googled "XM15E1" and came up with numerous hits, also XM16E1 came up often. Looks like they were both early issue versions of the M16 series.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Such a rifle was most likely marked XM16E1, not XM15. Damn shame you couldn't get ammo for the M3! I've read that M3 grease guns held on in little nooks and crannies of the National Guard through the mid 90's.

Years ago as an E4, I found 5 grease gun magazines and an M14 magazine in an ancient box of mixed BII while doing a wall-to-wall inventory of some ancient conexes. I asked my SSG if I could keep even just one, sadly no - all had to go to DRMO.
    We had them in a locker in my Company until 2003. The weren’t on our books at the CO but my readiness nco assured me they were accounted for. I was more than willing to buy the 45 ammo for them but alas- there were no magazines. I left the company to staff. When I returned to take command the M3s were gone. Apparently to the depot but I can’t help but secretly hope one of my gun loving senior ncos liberated them.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 10-01-2019 at 09:08 AM.

User Tag List