Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Officer Down: Be Careful Out There Guys, Especially If You Go To The Ground

Officer Down: Be Careful Out There Guys, Especially If You Go To The Ground

Sad one from NYC overnight.

A hero NYPD officer was fatally shot early Sunday during a desperate, hand-to-hand struggle with an armed suspect just after midnight on the grounds of the Edenwald Houses in The Bronx.

Officer Brian Mulkeen, 33, a six-year veteran of the department, did not survive three gunshot injuries, Chief of Department Terence Monahan told reporters at Jacobi Hospital, where doctors had worked to save his life.

Sources said Mulkeen had been shot with his own weapon in the head, chest and legs as he and the suspect wrestled on the ground.

The suspect, too, was fatally shot. “Five officers at the location fired their service weapons, striking the man,” Monahan said.

Be careful out there.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Sad one from NYC overnight.

Be careful out there.

blues, I cannot give this post a "like," but I do appreciate the information, as tragic as it is. We can, at least, also appreciate the fact that the pos was eliminated from the prospect of a future. IE: sowing his seed, killing/maiming, etc.

Name:  E8D48B61-0C41-453B-A3E8-66F9F35EB270.jpeg
Views: 758
Size:  100.0 KB

Remember what Sgt Esterhaus always says at the end of briefing!
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Sad to report this, but NYPD is currently saying this was a friendly fire shooting... R.I.P. and my heart hurts for his partners.

Quote Originally Posted by Det1397 View Post
    Sad to report this, but NYPD is currently saying this was a friendly fire shooting... R.I.P. and my heart hurts for his partners.
    Thank you, brother, for the update.

This is the first I'm hearing of this. That would be the second this year if I recall correctly. Beyond sad if so.

ETA:

https://nypost.com/2019/09/30/tragic...-fire-sources/

Heroic Bronx police officer Brian Mulkeen was killed by friendly fire from his fellow cops — but maintained grasp on his service weapon to the bitter end of his struggle with an ex-con, the NYPD announced Monday.

“This is a tragic case of friendly fire,” Police Commissioner James O’Neill said during an afternoon press briefing. “But make no mistake we lost the life of a courageous public servant solely due to a violent criminal who put the lives of the police and all the people we serve in jeopardy.”

Mulkeen, 33, was shot twice amid his life-or-death struggle with reputed gangbanger Antonio Lavance Williams early Sunday in the borough’s Edenwald Houses, but it was initially unclear whether he was shot with his own service Glock, struck by rounds from other officers or both.

Now, investigators have concluded that he was only ever struck by friendly fire as he became the second cop shot dead in the line of duty this year — and the second by errant NYPD bullets.

The other tragic NYPD "friendly fire" event this year:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/nypd-deter...ry?id=61352029

Two weeks after NYPD Detective Brian Simonsen died by friendly fire, investigators have been unable to determine which officer fired the shot that killed him, an NYPD spokesman told ABC News.

The round that struck Simonsen was recovered but "the ballistics examination was inconclusive," meaning "we are not able to determine which firearm it came from," the spokesman said.

Body camera and surveillance video showed several officers in position to have fired the fatal shot but the images did not show which one did, a police source added.

Simonsen, 42, an 18-year veteran, was shot and killed on Feb. 12 while responding to an armed robbery at a Queens T-Mobile store.

Simonsen's partner, Sgt. Matt Gorman, and two officers who set foot in the store quickly retreated when police said the suspect, Christopher Ransom, pointed an imitation handgun at them.

In a chaotic scene that unfolded within seconds, seven officers shot 42 rounds, authorities said.

Simonsen, who did not have a bulletproof vest on, was fatally hit once in the chest, authorities said.

This is just not acceptable.
    Last edited by blues; 09-30-2019 at 05:00 PM.

RIP Patrolman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    For most of us, these across the room or even closer shots are not going to cut it when a brother or sister is grappling with a violent suspect. People are going to be moving. The sight picture of an instant ago may be blocked by a good guy when the rounds leaves the barrel. Get close and go for a contact shot, preferably without the other cop being being behind the part of the bad guy you're trying to shoot.

Learned this from those good people at the HK International Training Division many years ag and still makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    For most of us, these across the room or even closer shots are not going to cut it when a brother or sister is grappling with a violent suspect. People are going to be moving. The sight picture of an instant ago may be blocked by a good guy when the rounds leaves the barrel. Get close and go for a contact shot, preferably without the other cop being being behind the part of the bad guy you're trying to shoot.

Learned this from those good people at the HK International Training Division many years ag and still makes sense.
    Truth. Contact shot to the head is the way to go.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

I just don't understand how that isn't the obvious tactic from the jump.

Either wade in and overpower the douche if you have numbers / manpower and it's not going to hell in a hand basket immediately, or go for the contact shot.

I can't fathom that this topic has not been thought about, discussed, trained, what have you.

Not saying it's the right thing but I've at times handed a gun to a partner when I went to approach someone I was arresting. Figured if he decided to fight at least my gun wasn't in play. My partners always knew in advance what to do if it went south. Except for one that I had to yell at, while I was fighting, not to crown the guy with his Motorola because I'd end up doing the damned paperwork.

This is a real black eye for NYPD. They didn't need it, and these officers didn't need to die.

User Tag List