Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morale destroying phrases

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Morale destroying phrases

https://www.policeone.com/chiefs-she...Pv1KdiFcjwXwm/

I have to say I disagree with 6. “The job will never love you back.”

That sometimes needs to be said, especially to younger officers who are putting too much emphasis on work and not enough on home. This job is tough enough without sacrificing time with your kids, etc.

Otherwise, largely agree.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

CWM11B
    I tend to disagree with number 3 as well. That can be used to pace an overly hard charger headed for a quick burn out, or to get them to develop throughness: quality vs. quantity. A full career in LE is a marathon, not a sprint

Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    A full career in LE is a marathon, not a sprint
    I have heard and still hear that one a lot.

My rebuttal: Some marathon paces are others sprints.

Well I’ve only been a Sergeant for a month, but I haven’t used any of them yet. Neither had my previous Sergeant, but that may be why I like where I’m at now.

I have heard every single one of those. Some directed at me and some directed at others while I was present.

I have worked with quite a few people who were number 7. When I was on patrol I worked with one guy in particular who regularly admitted that he didn’t do anything the entire shift so he had plenty of energy to make the overtime on his way home. One of his routes home was a state highway lined with dozens of bars. He was notorious for hooking up at least one drunk every night and usually knocking down four hours OT. If it was his last shift of the week he would drag arrests out to at least eight hours of OT. He liked to schedule court for his days off also or just show up for appearances that weren’t required. There were/are still quite a few people who do this, but none as blatant as that dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Vista461 View Post
    Well I’ve only been a Sergeant for a month, but I haven’t used any of them yet. Neither had my previous Sergeant, but that may be why I like where I’m at now.
    "Have you scheduled the lobotomy yet?"

Site Supporter
    In my city police are extremely busy answering calls throughout their shift. They are so busy in fact that if one officer works traffic and gives tickets, then the others must take up the slack. This angers those who must answer extra calls. Taking a drunk to jail puts hardship on the others. My impression has been that supervisors are pressured to have their troops answer calls and do not encourage much else. I also think that supervisors wish not to deal with complaints from the public brought about by the overzealous. Once a cop arrested a man for taking a dump in a dumpster. We thought that the officer was overzealous.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vista461 View Post
    I've been a field sergeant about 15 months now. Its been an extremely rewarding position.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

There’s a time and a place for being proactive. When your district is getting slammed and the dispatcher is begging for units to break to handle calls you shouldn’t be pulling traffic. When you’re the relief shift coming on you’re supposed to be picking up the slack for the shift about to go home. If you’re a graveyard guy and you’re driving around without putting yourself available until you locate a traffic stop while swing shift is getting slammed you aren’t helping. When you’re my back up on a domestic and you pull “priority” traffic without anyone else available to back me up you’re a problem and I’ll be talking to you later. This isn’t crusty CF talking this is slick sleeve CF remembering patrol stuff that pissed him off.
    Last edited by Coyotesfan97; 10-05-2019 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Gramnar
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Heard a lot of those over a 34 yr career. My favorite was a Capt telling me (Sgt at the time) that if I was smarter than him, I’d be a Major. My reply might have been to ask ”then Majors don’t suggest stupid shit?”

User Tag List