Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbine Buffer and Rifle Gas System

Vending Machine Operator

Carbine Buffer and Rifle Gas System

I'm aware this is a SUPER-noob question but I don't trust the wide variety of answers Google is giving me and I need a definitive Pistol-Forum quality answer.

I bought this today:

PSA AR-15 Complete Lower Magpul STR Edition EPT

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...165450583.html

Will it work with a rifle-length gas system, for example, this?

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...no-bcg-ch.html

Thank you in advance, sorry, this is my first build, trying a cheap one to dip a toe with a complete lower, not a complete build, more of a parting together of completed sections. My only other AR is a Daniel Defense M4V1 I bought off the shelf. Going to be using a Sons of Liberty Gun Works NP3-coated Carpenter 158 BCG and Geiselle Super Charging Handle with PMag Gen M3s. I think that's all the parts I need?
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 09-28-2019 at 07:13 PM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Short answer = yes.

Long answer = you may need to fiddle with your buffer to optimize your rifle. I run an H3 buffer in my 18 inch rifle with a carbine length receiver extension (buffer tube) but I had no problem with the H1 I originally had on it.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 09-28-2019 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Short answer = yes.

Long answer = you may need to fiddle with your buffer to optimize your rifle. I run an H3 buffer in my 18 inch rifle with a carbine length receiver extension (buffer tube).
    Agree with this.

Remember that different buffer weights are really intended to change the cyclic rate of the guns. The semi auto tinkering is far secondary.

Just consider it another piece of the system that you can tune.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    P.S. - when you get that upper assembly I would be very interested in knowing what markings the barrel has on it - I am curious if Palmetto is still using FN barrels in their premium 20" muskets.

Vending Machine Operator
    P.S. - when you get that upper assembly I would be very interested in knowing what markings the barrel has on it - I am curious if Palmetto is still using FN barrels in their premium 20" muskets.
    They claim to be doing so, which is the major selling point for me, so I'll be peeved if they're not.

I should be buying the upper next month and I'll let you know.

Thanks for the answer guys, I'll run it as it comes and tune as necessary. The Daniel Defense is my very well vetted (got it in 2011, serial number 000620) serious business carbine, this is just a fun rifle, so if I need to tune it that's just fine.

It says so in the item description, but the barrel won't be marked FN, they have been PSA marked for a while.
    Attachment 43059

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    It says so in the item description, but the barrel won't be marked FN, they have been PSA marked for a while.
    Attachment 43059
    Hmmm.

Is there any info about whether they're proper FN barrels still, or some different cheaper assembly line?

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Hmmm.

Is there any info about whether they're proper FN barrels still, or some different cheaper assembly line?
    The item description on their website says made by FN. If FN wasn't making them, I doubt they'd let PSA tell people that they were. There are very few companies making CHF barrels.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    The item description on their website says made by FN. If FN wasn't making them, I doubt they'd let PSA tell people that they were. There are very few companies making CHF barrels.
    Makes sense, and that's a pretty solid point, FN is a big company, their corporate lawyers would have 86'd that overnight. Just sleepy brain posting.

Just want to be sure before I drop the $350.

That said, thanks to me cobbling together all my parts on sale over the past 2 years, when this build is done I'll have a 20" AR with an FN barrel and a SOLGW BCG that is Robar-coated for roughly $700. For a just-for-fun rifle I will be a very happy camper with that.

"Machinegun Steel" barrels are made by FN. Yes, you can use a rifle upper with a carbine lower. PSA carbine lowers come with a CAR buffer which is too light. Exchange it for an H, or better yet an H2 buffer.

Lowers with H, H2, A5H2 or rifle buffers (used in the correct RE with the right spring) will work with any properly gassed upper.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

User Tag List