Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Expanding the use of force toolbox with Brazilian jiu-jitsu

Expanding the use of force toolbox with Brazilian jiu-jitsu

The modern police officer has access to a wide variety of equipment and technology to help them perform their job and keep the public safe. There is, however, one essential tool an overwhelming percentage of today’s officers do not have in their arsenal. In fact, some would say this skillset can become your superpower: Brazilian jiu-jitsu (BJJ).
    https://www.blueline.ca/expanding-th...ian-jiu-jitsu/

...but don't use any of those chokes or you'll be out of a job and facing criminal charges...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    ...but don't use any of those chokes or you'll be out of a job and facing criminal charges...
    Remember guys, talking to and possibly providing a blanket and hot cocoa is how you can handle a suspect on meth wielding a machete...

Site Supporter
    BJJ can be a valuable skill set for an officer, but the article was effectively an advertisement. I'd be interested to see data on use f force in agencies that utilize BJJ versus PPCT, Krav Maga, Monadnock, or other training programs If we look at BJJ as a martial art that has applicability in law enforcement, I'd like to see some comparison to various other arts.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Remember guys, talking to and possibly providing a blanket and hot cocoa is how you can handle a suspect on meth wielding a machete...
    If by blanket and hot cocoa you mean cover him in a generous application of hot bullets I'd agree, but what does that have to do with BJJ?

There's nothing wrong with expanding the tool box, but buying into this nonsense about adding a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear to typical officers 1st and 6th gear, is how you get fired. There's nothing wrong with making sure you have the skills and training to protect yourself, but adding BBJ to your own force continuum to affect an arrest is just dumb.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    If by blanket and hot cocoa you mean cover him in a generous application of hot bullets I'd agree, but what does that have to do with BJJ?

There's nothing wrong with expanding the tool box, but buying into this nonsense about adding a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear to typical officers 1st and 6th gear, is how you get fired. There's nothing wrong with making sure you have the skills and training to protect yourself, but adding BBJ to your own force continuum to affect an arrest is just dumb.
    Was a total sarcastic comment to go along with Blues comment.

Realized in in the LE forum, ill shut my trap [emoji28]

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Grey; 09-28-2019 at 11:35 AM.

BJJ has a place in LE.

It, unfortunately is a tool just like any other, and needs to be logically thought through when training and prior to implementation.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Not only authorized, but taught and encouraged for us.

Our DT curriculum is heavily based on BJJ.
    Last edited by TGS; 09-28-2019 at 06:49 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Not only authorized, but taught and encouraged for us.

Our DT curriculum is heavily based on BJJ.
    Well, sure. We wouldn't want any of the bosses to get their suits soiled.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

It's a great idea. At the least it might give younger cops enough confidence to put their hands on people.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List