Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie theaters ban masks, costumes at ‘Joker’ screenings

I would suggest that some of those dudes go into the military- they could probably land a stripper- but they probably wouldn't be up to the physical standards.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I would suggest that some of those dudes go into the military- they could probably land a stripper- but they probably wouldn't be up to the physical standards.

Thinking about some of the comments there, one went on about all the time spent on computer or game systems to achieve scores, this would seem to imply theyve chosen to do that rather than interact in meatspace with real humans. How is it a surprise that they have little or no social skills or interactions that lead to relationships with human women? I havent met anyone thats interested in what I do on a computer, but most are in what you do in real life, or interested in similar things, and that you are willing to include them or go do their things with them.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    All they need is a current LES, a car and they can find a stripper to marry, especially if they're E-4.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Physical standards would be the least of their issues.

The social dynamics, peer pressure etc would be the real issue. There are many recruits released from the military for “failure to adapt” to military life.

The Dallas federal courthouse shooter is a good example. His year or so in the Army ended with a melt down, hospital stay and early discharge.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    Yet another 'grassroots movement' that has got Soros written all over it.

Evidence? Beyond "feelings" and "goddamn it would convient to be able to peg white supremacy on liberals so we don't have to speak up around racists."

I live in a county with the most active KKK in the US. No Soros needed.

The other reason we are in this shit: conservatives/Republicans/libertarians/2a enthusiasts hiding their heads in the sand when racism pops our in our own ranks. There are thugs in our house kids.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UfE-z0RN7n0
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

We have got enough weirdos that make it through the screening process that I don't need ya'll to encourage more weirdos to join.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    I don't actively look for distorted thinking or track the strange social groups out there.

The next thing you're going to be telling me is that there is a group of adults who dress up in elaborate animal costumes and hold conventions.
    They like to be called by their formal name of "furries". Don't ask about yiffing or a fur pile....*shudder*

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Well, I went and saw this last night, partly because of the controversy over going and seeing it.

Granted, I saw it in a nice part of a mid-sized town in Canada, in a theatre with assigned seating and electric recliner chairs, so about as non-violent an environment as you're going to get.

Anyway, I really enjoyed it. I saw a trailer for it somewhere almost a year ago, and I just wanted to see it. I haven't gone to a movie theatre in at least three or four years but I wanted to put money in for this - a vote for its existence, say.

My wife was absolutely riveted by it. I could give you some quibbles and I think it should have had another thirty minutes to flesh out other characters but overall I was really happy I'd gone to see it. Of course, as someone from TPI who knows me quite well, I'm probably what you'd call "chaotic neutral" and in general I enjoy disorder, and this movie is full of it so it's like cheesecake for my brain. But I'll tell you why I liked it and I'm going to throw a possible? spoiler warning out here: um...possible spoilers ahead. I haven't written it yet so I don't know what I'm going to say.

Spoiler (highlight to read):

One thing that always annoys me with superhero movies is the enormous number of henchmen who dress up in costume to support their villain. This never works for me, psychologically speaking. Their loyalty to a guy who doesn't really seem to benefit them much, and their general desire to run around putting themselves at risk in exchange for theme clothing, just never makes sense to me. Criminal gangs fighting each other over turf I totally get. But it always seems silly that they are trying to overthrow cities and then run them according, often, to completely crazy, schizophrenic rules driven purely by the desire to emulate their crazy boss. I just have a hard time seeing it.

But what I liked about Joker was that it provided a sort of explanation for the henchmen. They work for me, if they're not part of a criminal enterprise exactly, but more of a social movement that was waiting for a spark. THAT I believe as a motivation for mass lawlessness and insurgence. So you get this guy who somehow stumbles into a moment where he ignites an angry crowd, and now he hasn't built this gigantic thing from the ground up, a feat which always seems impossible to me. It's more as though that mob was already there, just waiting for a moment, and now they're off. I guess I buy this because it's somewhat like the St Louis and Baltimore riots...you could never build a whole army of people and then direct them one day to begin your assault on law and order and have it take off. But there was the spontaneous violence of mobs which was harnessed and whetted and encouraged and prolonged by people who were organizers and wanted to exploit that drive to smash and overthrow that lurks inside a lot of people, particularly alienated young men.

So for me this was a really interesting watch. I had a really good time seeing it. I can actually relate a little more to the concerns some people had now, although I still don't agree. You're definitely bonding with the bad guy and a there's absolutely a demographic which will watch it and idolize the Joker. But I also think that they don't present him as anyone to idolize. I don't know. I guess I think it's a bit rich for some of the same people who don't want to be held responsible for glorifying violence in lots of movies, to be suddenly concerned that this bleak drama could cause mass shootings because it portrays a miserable, alienated guy suddenly vaulted upwards by his acts of violence. The thing is, when you go from a victim to an aggressor, that DOES increase your status. School bullies don't bully people because they're insecure, they do it because it increases their status and this has been shown a bunch of times. Objectively, this guy's shift from whipping boy to whip handler has a very real resonance because you genuinely are better off being a hammer than a nail.

Anyway I guess this is all pretty unfocused; just my random thoughts about it the morning after seeing it. I think it's totally worth a watch.

I read in some geek manual somewhere that chaotic neutral and chaotic good can hang o

I read in some geek manual somewhere that chaotic neutral and chaotic good can hang out.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Hey, the geeks built the system, they must know how it works!

User Tag List