Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Movie theaters ban masks, costumes at ‘Joker’ screenings

On a serious note, it would be good if young folks had some sane people to talk to about the problem of finding romance.
    Last edited by Baldanders; 10-07-2019 at 10:15 PM.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Which is easier?

1) Sit around and mope that women are goldigging b@#$#@ only interested in looks and money, and finding other likeminded souls to gripe to.

-or-

2) Admit one is a smelly fat neckbeard with no personality who needs to get off their fat arse and do the hard work of making themselves an interesting and attractive person.

Let's be honest- there's nothing really involuntary about being an incel.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    So, Rob is telling us he's got Keith Raniere-type "winner" charisma.
    Nah a cult isn't really my style, to much focus on the central person. I was more just a cultured type with callouses on my hands, a car, a job, and money in the bank etc. Things that lots of college guys just don't have.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Nah a cult isn't really my style, to much focus on the central person. I was more just a cultured type with callouses on my hands, a car, a job, and money in the bank etc. Things that lots of college guys just don't have.
    Awwwww....

College me totally would have been down with being a cult leader. If I'd had the brains or charisma.

Current me thinks it sounds annoying. And there is that matter of having scruples.

Heinlein vs. Hubbard...both notorious womanizers...only the lesser talent needed a cult. The other just inspired one. (More a cult-lite, if a cult at all)

(BTW, RAH, Leslyn Heinlein and L. Ron all cohabitated for a while, all having many lovers...)

Name:  HubbardHeinleins.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  54.7 KB

This photo set should be an inspiration for lonely hearts. Not quite like RAH's back cover photos.
    Last edited by Baldanders; 10-07-2019 at 10:36 PM.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I would suggest that some of those dudes go into the military- they could probably land a stripper- but they probably wouldn't be up to the physical standards.
    That's what the fitness training battalion is for

Which is easier?

1) Sit around and mope that women are goldigging b@#$#@ only interested in looks and money, and finding other likeminded souls to gripe to.

-or-

2) Admit one is a smelly fat neckbeard with no personality who needs to get off their fat arse and do the hard work of making themselves an interesting and attractive person.

Let's be honest- there's nothing really involuntary about being an incel.
    Don't underestimate the problem of being almost entirely unable to read social cues or mirror non-creepy behavior. Some of this ties into being "on the spectrum," some, into poor parental models. I grew up with a friend group kinda like the kids on "Stranger Things." One of the group was just stunningly oblivious to any non-verbal cues, or social norms. I used to frequent an old school D&D forum where some of the guys who wrote the AD&D books would drop in from time to time. I feel confident in saying such activities attract guys who have "failed" more than they inspire failure. Even the completely socially retarded need an outlet, a community.

Yes, "pot-kettle-black."
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Don't underestimate the problem of being almost entirely unable to read social cues or mirror non-creepy behavior. Some of this ties into being "on the spectrum," some, into poor parental models. I grew up with a friend group kinda like the kids on "Stranger Things." One of the group was just stunningly oblivious to any non-verbal cues, or social norms. I used to frequent an old school D&D forum where some of the guys who wrote the AD&D books would drop in from time to time. I feel confident in saying such activities attract guys who have "failed" more than they inspire failure. Even the completely socially retarded need an outlet, a community.

Yes, "pot-kettle-black."
    I'm on the spectrum, and was the weird, smelly kid with no personality during my junior high days.
    Happily, I had a few normal friends to help me learn to fit in, or at least fake it.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Student
    On a serious note, it would be good if young folks had some sane people to talk to about the problem of finding romance.
    That exists to some degree, but not in the sort of online format we'd expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Jackson View Post
    Someone smarter than me succinctly identified causes of the problem as such: "Promotion of victim mentality, de-emphasis of personal responsibility, elimination of outlets for the resolution of conflict, and dissolution of the nuclear family."
    Mentorship is something I would consider one of those outlets, and it's been said by others here that we are seeing a decreased presence of it. If this can happen in institutions such as the military and law enforcement, where I think the conditions have historically been the most favorable for mentorship, then I don't expect better results in other places. Places of worship and scouting organizations are pretty good holdouts, but that depends 1) on good leadership like anything else, and 2) households with some vestige of traditional values that would participate in attending church or having children participate in extracurriculars without the express purpose of gaming college admissions or career prospects.

There was a thread earlier this year where someone had a younger nephew that was at a crossroads moment in their life, and the poster was asking for advice.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....no-aspirations

One of the things I said in that thread was that 'I was, and a part of me always will be, that fat, awkward slob who was going nowhere good in life. Not to diminish the best efforts of my parents, but I can never be thankful enough that I have an uncle like yourself who guided me just far enough along the right directions.'

If I were to have a younger male relative in my life going through the sorts of things that put them in danger of spiraling in to the kind of deviancy we are talking about in this thread, I don't know how much I would understand, or even try to, if I had not gone through the path in life that I have.

There will always be hard losers. Someone I knew went to college to study social work and became a benefits casehandler, and it got to the point where even getting married and becoming a parent could not distract them from having ideations in the workplace restroom, because none of their teachers or coworkers told them that 99% of the time they would not be able to keep the children in their cases alive and healthy. We fell out of contact and they're fine last I knew, but I never told them that there are plenty of guardians in more stable households who are just as incapable if their wards ever find themselves in internal crisis. It's a fine line between that and plain narcissism. The resulting physical social withdrawal, and immersion in electronic distractions for the entirety of childhood and adolescents were already guaranteed for most people even in the absence of this.
    Last edited by Yung; 10-07-2019 at 11:08 PM.

I'm on the spectrum, and was the weird, smelly kid with no personality during my junior high days.
    Happily, I had a few normal friends to help me learn to fit in, or at least fake it.
    I'm at whatever point where "people on the spectrum" seem not all that strange, but I can usually fake "normal" well enough to pass as "eccentric." A bit neuro-atypical, I guess.

Got a brilliant autodidact student on the spectrum at the moment. He pretty much loathes his teachers, aside from yours truly.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Trivia: The only diploma in Warren Buffett's office is the one he earned completing the Dale Carnegie course. He credits the course not only with his success in business, but in wooing his wife.

I think a lot of these incels would benefit greatly from learning how to win friends & influence people...

User Tag List