Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Movie theaters ban masks, costumes at ‘Joker’ screenings

Site Supporter
    The podcast Reply All had a recent-ish episode about the origins of the incel community. It was... not what I expected.

https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/76h59o

The description for the episode reads:
    How a shy, queer Canadian woman accidentally invented one of the internet’s most toxic male communities.

An excerpt:
    "ALANA: I came up with the idea to create the the support group online because I recognized that um, you know, there are other people who have this kind of situation and if if I can get out of it, if I can start dating after a long period of being single, then maybe other people can too."

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    Well, I went and saw this last night, partly because of the controversy over going and seeing it.

Granted, I saw it in a nice part of a mid-sized town in Canada, in a theatre with assigned seating and electric recliner chairs, so about as non-violent an environment as you're going to get.

Anyway, I really enjoyed it. I saw a trailer for it somewhere almost a year ago, and I just wanted to see it. I haven't gone to a movie theatre in at least three or four years but I wanted to put money in for this - a vote for its existence, say.

My wife was absolutely riveted by it. I could give you some quibbles and I think it should have had another thirty minutes to flesh out other characters but overall I was really happy I'd gone to see it. Of course, as someone from TPI who knows me quite well, I'm probably what you'd call "chaotic neutral" and in general I enjoy disorder, and this movie is full of it so it's like cheesecake for my brain. But I'll tell you why I liked it and I'm going to throw a possible? spoiler warning out here: um...possible spoilers ahead. I haven't written it yet so I don't know what I'm going to say.

Spoiler (highlight to read):

One thing that always annoys me with superhero movies is the enormous number of henchmen who dress up in costume to support their villain. This never works for me, psychologically speaking. Their loyalty to a guy who doesn't really seem to benefit them much, and their general desire to run around putting themselves at risk in exchange for theme clothing, just never makes sense to me. Criminal gangs fighting each other over turf I totally get. But it always seems silly that they are trying to overthrow cities and then run them according, often, to completely crazy, schizophrenic rules driven purely by the desire to emulate their crazy boss. I just have a hard time seeing it.

But what I liked about Joker was that it provided a sort of explanation for the henchmen. They work for me, if they're not part of a criminal enterprise exactly, but more of a social movement that was waiting for a spark. THAT I believe as a motivation for mass lawlessness and insurgence. So you get this guy who somehow stumbles into a moment where he ignites an angry crowd, and now he hasn't built this gigantic thing from the ground up, a feat which always seems impossible to me. It's more as though that mob was already there, just waiting for a moment, and now they're off. I guess I buy this because it's somewhat like the St Louis and Baltimore riots...you could never build a whole army of people and then direct them one day to begin your assault on law and order and have it take off. But there was the spontaneous violence of mobs which was harnessed and whetted and encouraged and prolonged by people who were organizers and wanted to exploit that drive to smash and overthrow that lurks inside a lot of people, particularly alienated young men.

So for me this was a really interesting watch. I had a really good time seeing it. I can actually relate a little more to the concerns some people had now, although I still don't agree. You're definitely bonding with the bad guy and a there's absolutely a demographic which will watch it and idolize the Joker. But I also think that they don't present him as anyone to idolize. I don't know. I guess I think it's a bit rich for some of the same people who don't want to be held responsible for glorifying violence in lots of movies, to be suddenly concerned that this bleak drama could cause mass shootings because it portrays a miserable, alienated guy suddenly vaulted upwards by his acts of violence. The thing is, when you go from a victim to an aggressor, that DOES increase your status. School bullies don't bully people because they're insecure, they do it because it increases their status and this has been shown a bunch of times. Objectively, this guy's shift from whipping boy to whip handler has a very real resonance because you genuinely are better off being a hammer than a nail.

Anyway I guess this is all pretty unfocused; just my random thoughts about it the morning after seeing it. I think it's totally worth a watch.
    I speed skimmed yer post to avoid spoilers. Intrigued. Looks like I'm going with friends Thursday. Thanks for the recommendation.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Sicks_Two View Post
    The podcast Reply All had a recent-ish episode about the origins of the incel community. It was... not what I expected.

https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/76h59o

The description for the episode reads:
    How a shy, queer Canadian woman accidentally invented one of the internet’s most toxic male communities.

An excerpt:
    "ALANA: I came up with the idea to create the the support group online because I recognized that um, you know, there are other people who have this kind of situation and if if I can get out of it, if I can start dating after a long period of being single, then maybe other people can too."
    And of course, assholes turned this into "supporting" each other in rejecting trying for romance forever and "supporting" suicidal/homicidal ideation. I feel for that poor woman. It's like writing a inspirational poem for folks in the dumps, and finding out it's been put to music as a ditty to make fun of the people you were trying to help, perhaps to drive them to self-harm.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    Name:  6F3A4041-329A-4FC4-87B9-1326260DB286.jpeg
Views: 187
Size:  55.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    Girls don’t want to have sex with you, and normal guys don’t want to hang out with you, because you’re a creepy loser.
    It's difficult, because a lot of guys are creepy and a lot of guys are losers. The few that are both are basically screwed.

I can get the creepy part, but I never figured out how someone ends up a loser.

When I was in college I had a roommate who I think didn't realize he was a loser, or creepy, or worse both, from time to time. At one point I was rather enjoying myself in college, dating regularly, quite a few college ladies who probably should have been out of my league. I'm not a hideous chud, but I'm also not a Greek God (more Buddha) in terms of attractiveness. By contrast my friend was a fairly attractive member of the male of our species, at just under 6' tall and 190-pounds, he worked out at the gym regularly, etc. Me? I ran some and played video games. But what I had in buckets that he never had, self-confidence, charisma, and ambition.

More so than anything ambition leads to passion, and people genuinely like passionate people. Someone who is passionate, gives a shit about something and as a result, has the depth in general to be a good person. That's the one thing I could never get across to him, he kept getting hung up on how he was supposed to be the more attractive person, yet I brought home the ladies. The trouble is, the only thing he cared about was himself. He had the personality depth of a postcard and people around him could tell.

I'll never understand how people lack ambition or passion. It's unfathomable to me, how folks can care so little about accomplishing anything. It's actually really outside my scope of understanding.

Imagine being convinced that all women are all running around banging every dude they see...except you. Jesus, no wonder they're a little tense.
    Wait...you aren't getting laid by all the women everyday? What are you doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    All I’m saying: if this thread veers off into a discussion of cuckoldry, I’d like to lurk.

That says way more about you than it does INCELs man...
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 10-07-2019 at 06:47 PM.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Wait...you aren't getting laid by all the women everyday? What are you doing wrong?
    I have failed to change my name to Chad, that's my problem.

Uncharacteristic of you to fail in this way. Proof that even the giants among us are still human.

The way to fight Chads is to become a C.H.U.D!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WqDToaLuJ7I

"They're not staying down anymore!"

I'm surprised this isn't an incel meme yet.

BTW, why "INCELS?" All lower case seems appropriate. Unless it's an acronym.

Inadequate
    Nebbishy
    Callow
    Egotistical
    Loser
    Snowflakes?
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    It's difficult, because a lot of guys are creepy and a lot of guys are losers. The few that are both are basically screwed.

I can get the creepy part, but I never figured out how someone ends up a loser.

When I was in college I had a roommate who I think didn't realize he was a loser, or creepy, or worse both, from time to time. At one point I was rather enjoying myself in college, dating regularly, quite a few college ladies who probably should have been out of my league. I'm not a hideous chud, but I'm also not a Greek God (more Buddha) in terms of attractiveness. By contrast my friend was a fairly attractive member of the male of our species, at just under 6' tall and 190-pounds, he worked out at the gym regularly, etc. Me? I ran some and played video games. But what I had in buckets that he never had, self-confidence, charisma, and ambition.

More so than anything ambition leads to passion, and people genuinely like passionate people. Someone who is passionate, gives a shit about something and as a result, has the depth in general to be a good person. That's the one thing I could never get across to him, he kept getting hung up on how he was supposed to be the more attractive person, yet I brought home the ladies. The trouble is, the only thing he cared about was himself. He had the personality depth of a postcard and people around him could tell.

I'll never understand how people lack ambition or passion. It's unfathomable to me, how folks can care so little about accomplishing anything. It's actually really outside my scope of understanding.

That says way more about you than it does INCELs man...
    So, Rob is telling us he's got Keith Raniere-type "winner" charisma.
    Name:  _100578972_keithraniere.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  24.1 KB
    WINNING!

Man, I'm happily married, but seeing the pics of women who had sex with this dude while image searching his name is fucking confounding.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

The female version:

Name:  images(4).jpg
Views: 128
Size:  5.0 KB

Dumbass 'cels, just go form a cult!
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List