Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Better QD light mount for work carbine?

Just get a better tail cap.

My rifle
    Name:  1570467354559-493870452.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  52.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Just get a better tail cap.
    OK. Which one?
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

@Bigghoss for the M4, you might be well served putting the light on the starboard side, converting to a dual tailcap, and running a tapeswitch on the top rail. Use a tape mount like cloud defense or unity, because they are screwed on the rail, not zip tied. It'll make way more room for your hands
    Last edited by theJanitor; 10-22-2019 at 02:41 PM.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I bought a Cloud OWL off a member here and I liked it so much I bought a second one.

It's sorta quick detach. You pop off the tailcap and use that to unscrew the proprietary bolt. I wished they'd just sent it with a slotted screw, and I guess I'm not the only one because new ones will be shipping with slotted screws.

I see no downside to these, except they're not light (appx 11 oz) and they only take 18650 batteries. The latter isn't really a problem, just something to be aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    @Bigghoss for the M4, you might be well served putting the light on the starboard side, converting to a dual tailcap, and running a tapeswitch on the top rail. Use a tape mount like cloud defense or unity, because they are screwed on the rail, not zip tied. It'll make way more room for your hands
    I tried that. I ran a Surefire 951 with a tape switch mounted with velcro. It worked great except the tape switch got destroyed from getting taken on and off every day and getting bounced around in my gear bag when it wasn't mounted. It's got me thinking remote switches aren't a good idea for my needs. If I could leave it mounted when I turned it in to the arms room that would be the way to go.

I just got a Streamlight Protac and a Midwest Industries pic rail that clamps on the front sight tower. It seems better than the G2X in the VLTOR mount, sits farther forward and isn't as sensitive. Eventually I'd like to get an Arisaka 600 series with a Z68 tailcap on an American Defense QD mount but that costs something like $280 total and I'm strapped for funds at the moment.
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    I bought a Cloud OWL off a member here and I liked it so much I bought a second one.

It's sorta quick detach. You pop off the tailcap and use that to unscrew the proprietary bolt. I wished they'd just sent it with a slotted screw, and I guess I'm not the only one because new ones will be shipping with slotted screws.

I see no downside to these, except they're not light (appx 11 oz) and they only take 18650 batteries. The latter isn't really a problem, just something to be aware of.
    I'll be keeping an eye out for the slotted screws. It doesn't need to be quick detach but I don't want to be holding up the turn-in line if I forget to pull it off earlier.

User Tag List