Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better QD light mount for work carbine?

Better QD light mount for work carbine?

I'm looking for a better option for a light I can attach and remove easily from my work gun which is kept in an arms room when I'm off shift. It's an M4 carbine with a quadrail handguard.

Right now I'm using a G2X in a VLTOR QD offset mount. This works alright but the tailcap on the G2X is too sensitive and not shrouded and I had a light ND once during a training exercise. Also being that it's on a carbine length handguard I have to bring my support hand even farther back on the short handguard.

In the past I've also tried mounting a light on the right side and using a tape switch but taking it off and on and not having a good way to store it ruined the wire of the switch within a few months, so that's not going to work for me either.

I also tried out an Inforce WML but I couldn't find a satisfactory position for it without an additional pic offset mount. Is there any kind of QD 45 degree offset mount maybe?

I think the ideal would be something like a Impact Weapons Components Thorntail mount but with a QD attachment. Does anything like that exist? And what is a better weapon light option than the G2X, something that requires a little bit of deliberate effort to activate?

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    Interested to see what you come up with. Ive got a G2L in a VLTOR on a MI FSB pic rail on an10.5 LMT upper.

It works but isnt ideal and there have likely been some advancements in whats available since I last looked.

https://haleystrategic.com/shop/hard...ar-light-mount

This will do it with the 1" light mount ring thats sold separately;

https://haleystrategic.com/light-mount-rings

Not a LaRue fan at all, but he has some solid solutions for you;

LaRue Light / Laser Mounts

Here's a picture of my current setup.
    Name:  light mount.jpg
Views: 1153
Size:  26.6 KB

None of the Thorntail mounts are quick detach so they won't work. Everything has to come off before I turn in the weapons to the arms room.

The Larue LT752 would let me run a Scout light in the same position as I run the Surefire now. I'll keep that in mine but I was hoping to push the light forward.
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

If no better mount option exists I would at least like to find a single output light with a less sensitive tailcap switch.

I think the shrouded tail cap from the Scout series (z68) would be considerably less prone to unintended activation.

ETA x2: OK, read that one more time: take a look at the Scout series. Single output, and shrouded cap.
    Last edited by Gater; 09-29-2019 at 06:31 PM.

I did some searching and found this

https://www.americandefensemanufactu.../product/1263/

If I switch to a light with a scout pattern mount this would let me push it out just a little farther than all the other QD mounts I've seen. That and a Streamlight Protac might work nicely while being affordable.

I used a PX2 Fury in a LaRue QD mount for years on my M4A1 with the light pushed all the way up so the rings actually attached on the tailcap. It worked pretty good. One of my buddies canabalized a Thorntail and modified the bar and ring to attach to his LaRue QD by drilling new holes to match the LaRue ring spacing. It was a great setup but meant your mount was pushing the $200 range. Once I got to my current Station (where things like lights don’t go missing from assigned guns) I just got a Thorntail and left it on there full time. Now we have 11.5” BCM MCMR uppers so I use a 1500 Lumen Fury DFT on an Arisaka offset mount and life is good...
    Last edited by TCB; 10-06-2019 at 10:56 PM.

Arisaka Defense is the best in the business for this. Used by named well known guys for real world work.

I've got a bunch of their stuff works perfectly after you figure out where to mount it and use a little bit of loctite.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

User Tag List