Thread: Colt AR6951 AR9 M4 Carbine Question

Colt AR6951 AR9 M4 Carbine Question

Colt AR6951 AR9 M4 Carbine Question

I see discussions of all manor of AR PCCs, but rarely is the Colt mentioned. Is there a problem with the Colt?

I’ve a friend with both a CLASS III full auto Colt 9mm and a full auto MP-5. I actually prefer the Colt and his Colt is very reliable.

Thoughts?
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

I always thought finding mags was the main drawback.

If I was buying a pistol caliber AR today it would likely be a Wilson that takes Glock mags. I could also be happy with the Beretta mag version.

I don't know that there's necessarily anything wrong with the Colt guns so much as that the huge prevalence of Glock pistols means that a very large number of people already have a stock of mags for them, so the Glock mag AR-9s gain a significant popularity boost from that.

My agency used Colt SMGs for about 17 years as the general issue long gun.

Parts breakages were astronomical compared to the Mk18, if that tells you anything. The gun beats itself to death. When as 1-in-12 guns in rotation as a pool gun for qualification at my last office, a given gun would see less than 300 rounds a month and we would still have to send several back per year to the armorer for parts breakages. They were PM'd yearly by an armorer as well, so it wasn't for a lack of proper maintenance.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I purchased a new 6951 2 years ago. It was the 2nd Colt 9 AR I've had.
    After some initial teething issues that Colt straightened out, it has run and run and run.
    Going about 6K rounds without a single booble.
    Magazines are fine. Brownells 32 rounders are about $30.00 each, well made and stone reliable.
    Gun didn't like 115s, but loves 124.
    Mine is for games. Don't know how it would do with defensive ammo and have not mounted anything more than an Aimpoint.

6951s are hard to find and with Colt's recent announcement I don't think we'll see new ones back on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by p7fl View Post
    Gun didn't like 115s, but loves 124.
    Mine is for games. Don't know how it would do with defensive ammo and have not mounted anything more than an Aimpoint.
    This is a good point I forgot to mention....we had to run 124gr FMJ. FTU told us it was because they were unreliable with JHPs.

Seems like you've had better luck than we did. It's possible something may have changed along the way.

It was a fun gun to shoot on FA and the AR15 trigger makes for easy hits at distance, but IMO the MP5 is in a different class as far as efficacy, reliability and service life.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I had one a few years ago, it was neat but yes mags are $$$ and I realized in one afternoon that my carbines in 5.56mm could do a lot more for the size and weight. I don't shoot USPSA so I got rid of it, neat though.

User Tag List