Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: USB Rechargeable EDC Light

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xAGM114 View Post
    I just bought a Streamlight "Microstream" about a month ago and really like it.

https://www.streamlight.com/en/produ...crostream-usb#

Pros:

- Small, around 4" in length, easily fits in a front pocket.
    - USB recharges in less than an hour.
    - $30, inexpensive enough to replace.
    - Has the clip which doubles as a hat brim attachment as well.

Cons:

- 120 Lumens, not enough for major searches
    Quote Originally Posted by Gater View Post
    The only USB-rechargeable I have is a Streamlight Microstream version. The clip is very solid on mine. Switching between the two modes requires a bit of experimentation, but once you figure it out, you're good. You can pick a version that comes on in high or low first according to your preference.
    I've also got a Microstream and really like it. I got the version that comes on high first (bronze color) and love how it fits in my pocket. The clip hasn't moved since I started using it. While it's not enough for "major searches", it's fine for use with a pistol in the dark the way you'd use any other light. I've even used the clip on my hat brim so I could see to lube the chain on my bike the night before a pre-sunrise bike ride.

I've got a Sidekick. It's fine for use as a light by itself but too awkward to use to illuminate something with a pistol in your other hand, especially if you have your keys dangling off it.

The best part about the Microstream is that it's thin enough that I really do EDC it, as in everywhere, all the time.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Another vote for the Stiletto. The flat profile carries very well. That’s my first “good” flashlight so I don’t have anything to compare it to, but I’d recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2xAGM114 View Post
    I just bought a Streamlight "Microstream" about a month ago and really like it.

https://www.streamlight.com/en/produ...crostream-usb#

Pros:

- Small, around 4" in length, easily fits in a front pocket.
    - USB recharges in less than an hour.
    - $30, inexpensive enough to replace.
    - Has the clip which doubles as a hat brim attachment as well.

Cons:

- 120 Lumens, not enough for major searches
    That’s my go to as well

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBK View Post
    What is out there in regards to USB rechargeable EDC flashlights? I EDC a Surefire EB1 and have no issue with it, but I am looking for replacement options that are similar in size and operation with USB (mini USB) rechargeable batteries. Hi/Lo momentary/constant is all that I want with my switch (no strobe), and I’d prefer no programmable switch to get it. I prefer the clip to be attached to the light similar to the Surefire rather than snap-on like a Streamlight. The features that I am looking for are what lead me away from what I’m pretty sure I know of Streamlight, but I’m not completely against considering them.

Have you considered the rechargeable batteries Surefire sells?
    --Jason--

I’ll pick up a Microstream for that price, but I’ve never carried a Streamlight very long. Has anyone had issues with tailcap being activated in your pocket? I use a Scout tailcap with the shroud on my E1B for this reason, and the raised section of the shroud keeps a hair band in place. I hold the light in my teeth a lot. Almost every other light I’ve looked at has a straight OD at the end.

I got the rechargeable 123’s from Surefire and tried those in the E1B a couple years ago, but if I recall correctly the output was affected too much and they didn’t hold a charge very long. That whole process was a pain. The main reason I want micro usb is due to me have quite a few different devices that use it and I already have charging cables everywhere that I may need them. I may try a Fenix light some time, but for now the special cable earns it a pass.

I’m probably going to try out the Stiletto. I’ll go check out that thread to see if it answers my questions.

Site Supporter
    The microstream usb's button is pretty stiff and mine has not come on in my pocket.
    Adam

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by APS-PF View Post
    The microstream usb's button is pretty stiff and mine has not come on in my pocket.
    Same here. I clip it onto the pocket opening rather than let it sit on the bottom of the pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Same here. I clip it onto the pocket opening rather than let it sit on the bottom of the pocket.
    Same. For $30 it's a great little light.

I appreciate all of the responses and recommendations. I’ll give the Microstream and Stiletto a go. I may just carry them both at the same time for a period of time to see which one I tend to use.

I read the Stiletto thread and it seems that most owners either love it or hate it (have issues or not), and I’ll definitely be paying attention to it turning on in my pocket. I’ll probably have to carry it on the left so it doesn’t interfere with my knife and make it more difficult for me to reach into my pocket. I typically only carry my keys in my left pocket so maybe they won’t activate it.

Does anyone have any experience with Olight?

User Tag List