Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: USB Rechargeable EDC Light

USB Rechargeable EDC Light

What is out there in regards to USB rechargeable EDC flashlights? I EDC a Surefire EB1 and have no issue with it, but I am looking for replacement options that are similar in size and operation with USB (mini USB) rechargeable batteries. Hi/Lo momentary/constant is all that I want with my switch (no strobe), and I’d prefer no programmable switch to get it. I prefer the clip to be attached to the light similar to the Surefire rather than snap-on like a Streamlight. The features that I am looking for are what lead me away from what I’m pretty sure I know of Streamlight, but I’m not completely against considering them.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBK View Post
    What is out there in regards to USB rechargeable EDC flashlights? I EDC a Surefire EB1 and have no issue with it, but I am looking for replacement options that are similar in size and operation with USB (mini USB) rechargeable batteries. Hi/Lo momentary/constant is all that I want with my switch (no strobe), and I’d prefer no programmable switch to get it. I prefer the clip to be attached to the light similar to the Surefire rather than snap-on like a Streamlight. The features that I am looking for are what lead me away from what I’m pretty sure I know of Streamlight, but I’m not completely against considering them.
    I have been testing a sidekick for several months and bought one for my wife and daughters as well. EDC on key chain. Holds a charge well and gets banged around a lot...tossed in and out of drawers, etc. Hardly have to charge and very handy. YMMV. If it works out, I may try a larger version. I THINK you can change it from low / med / high to opposite. Once you actuate it, you can go through the settings and then off. If you don't go through settings and leave it say, on low, next phase is off (hope that makes sense). I'll wait for another year or so before I make a determination.

I just bought a Streamlight "Microstream" about a month ago and really like it.

https://www.streamlight.com/en/produ...crostream-usb#

Pros:

- Small, around 4" in length, easily fits in a front pocket.
    - USB recharges in less than an hour.
    - $30, inexpensive enough to replace.
    - Has the clip which doubles as a hat brim attachment as well.

Cons:

- 120 Lumens, not enough for major searches
    Last edited by 2xAGM114; 09-27-2019 at 09:06 PM.

The only USB-rechargeable I have is a Streamlight Microstream version. The clip is very solid on mine. Switching between the two modes requires a bit of experimentation, but once you figure it out, you're good. You can pick a version that comes on in high or low first according to your preference.

Banned
    I've had really good luck with my Fenix UC35. This is the upgraded version.
    Last edited by Cypher; 09-27-2019 at 09:23 PM.

I carry my EDC light (rearward) and folder knife in front of that in my right hand pocket for the most part. I carry this way a lot of the time without a firearm, and when I am carrying a firearm with a WML. When I go to town with no WML, I carry the light in my left hand pocket.

I need an EDC light with a sturdy clip. I am looking for something in the 1-cr123 size.
    Last edited by TXBK; 09-27-2019 at 09:38 PM.

Surefire Stilleto. I really like the flattened form. There's a lengthy thread here somewhere

Had streamlight protac hl USB which I really liked and did a review on it - https://www.vdmsr.com/2019/06/stream...ac-hl-usb.html

Now have a nightstick lights 558xl 900lm - https://www.baycoproducts.com/produc...item/usb-558xl

Smaller form factor than the streamlight, charges faster, better hotspot beam and color. Definitely an upgrade.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Banned

This is my everyday light. It is a Fenix RC05SE. Apparently the SE is a special order for REI. It has the tail cap switch as opposed to a button on the side. It also remembers the last brightness setting that you used.

It's 4 inches long, just a little bit more than 5/8 in outer diameter. It has a clip but I can't really speak one way or the other about it because I never use it I just carry it in my pocket.

This is what Fenix has to say about it

The Fenix RC05 SE (Special Edition) rechargeable flashlight is built off the popular Fenix RC05. This special edition adds a tactical rear switch for on/off and momentary use. By adding the rear switch it transforms the light into our more popular two switch system, allowing the user to turn on from the rear switch and choose mode from side switch. All the other attractive features of the RC05 were kept like the innovative magnetic charging port. From a single 14500 rechargeable Li-ion battery (included), this flashlight emits a maximum 300 lumens a distance of almost 300 feet. This compact flashlight is very small and light weight, and its two-position clip allows you to easily clip it to your gear or onto your hat for hands-free use. The IP68 rating, which means it is both waterproof to 2m and dust proof, allows you to have light even in the harshest of environments. Small, lightweight and rechargeable, the Fenix RC05SE rechargeable flashlight will be your go-to flashlight for camping, backpacking or every day use.
    The only issue that I have with it is that it's not strictly speaking usb-rechargeable.

It recharges was a USB cord but that little copper thing on the side is a magnetic port that you just set the cord on and it recharges. The issue with that is that you have to use their cord.

However I carry this light at work every night I use it every night it's actually the main light I use at work and I've never had it died on me at work. I just put it on the charger when I get home.
    Last edited by Cypher; 09-28-2019 at 01:23 AM.

I'm using the Streamlight ProTac 2L-X USB. I very much like the programming from Max-Strobe-Low and was a significant decision making point.

It's also somewhat affordable. I'm not into that game of paying for high end lights. To be honest, the reason I got it is because I liked my issued Streamlight Protac 2L but wanted the USB recharge feature....I didn't really feel a need to look around that much, YMMV.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List